Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I get not liking this sort of design it's not that bad in actual practice. if you actually live in it you put up art and pictures of your family and the oranges you just bought or whatever and it's fine because the actual elements of the room just kind of fade out and its just fully non obtrusive. boring but whatever. the kitchen with the black cabinets would be perfectly ok to live and cook in. it'd look like an actual room real people use a few weeks after you move in.

the real sick freaks are the ones whose houses and apartments look like these pictures years after they've been living in it, but that's a sickness of the soul that no interior design will be able to correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

that said the 1st and 3rd pictures are really bad for all the useless wasted space and especially no curb on the shower

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

also what is good interior design that's not extremely expensive? I grew up in a pretty typical looking 80s-90s suburban american single family townhouse and it looked like poo poo too

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

wtf are you cooking that is spewing fumes???

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

mf in his kitchen refining petroleum

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hatebag posted:

but yeah i wouldn't want a huge pot of bolognese spewing sauce in the middle of my kitchen like some kinda italian sprinkler, though

agree w/ this

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

101923 posted:

everything is contaminated by austerity

chilling out next 2 my chamber pot w/ my knicknacks, 6 led candle flames, and wood framed wood

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

bring me my finest whiskey and exactly 3 plums

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

everytime I look at number guy's ashley furniture presents a rich guy's living room it looks faker and gayer. gonna keep my ottoman exactly in the middle of the room on top of my home depot 9x11 bulk order persian rug. what can I put on this window ledge? why, my lamp, of which there is exactly 1 in the room and no other lighting besides my misaligned led candles. are those buttplugs in the bookshelf? pissing me off!!!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I lived next to a building that was ostensibly made into a restaurant and they put one of these in the entrance/lobby area. sat there for a year or so then was taken down and changed owners or whatever never having opened. the town just wasn't ready for moooi front design horse

Xaris posted:

to give a more serious answer, it really depends on the place and the original house. a lot of old houses have really nice giant exposed wooden beams and framing with real stone floors or brick walls that are gorgeous on their own and can really do a lot without needing much. you'll see those more in europe and stuff. likewise old adobe housing are cool on their own and a more eclectic spanish or cuban interior design looks sick. generally though, housing like that in america is super duper expensive so at that point it really doesn't matter.

for most american tracthousing, the sheetrock flimsy paper house kinda sucks in general. there really isn't a lot you can do with that imo. i think the pergo laminate lego-flooring that people are sticking in their american houses really sucks and i'm not sure it's really an improvement over linoleum. i think the most feasible way to go is just eclectic poo poo you've picked up from various estate sales or whatever over the years and accumulated and try to have cozy warm lighting. i feel like lighting is one of the most important things and the warmer the colors, the nicer it is. but french kinda-cluttered cozycore is pretty cheap

that's also why "scandavanian minimalism-modern" stuff is so popular because it's very inexpensive and it's inoffensive. i, personally, don't like scandanavian interior design though (sorry zodium but u guys suck at it) just as a matter of taste.

yeah I can't really get too worked up about bad interior design that's not like the mcmansions you posted because it's like, gently caress man, I'm way luckier than most and while I'd love to have exposed oak beams and original wood parquet that I could flawlessly restore, the only real choice I have is do I get the bargain bin knockoff or save up for the name brand pergo to replace my 9999 year old yellowed linoleum. I'll stand by the modern quasi-minimalism as a pretty good standard of interior design for most folks because it's cheap, mostly okay, and just acceptably fades into the background as soon as people start actually living their lives in those spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

having grown up with a gas range and used a gas range until I moved into my current place a few years ago, unless you have one of those jet engine ranges like a Chinese restaurant there's basically zero downside to having an electric range and people that complain about it are fuckin dumb. Are you blistering peppers every day? gently caress off