Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

it's just whatever is cheap right now. there's diminishing returns for installing anything fancier than "average" so they just use what materials will get them the biggest return, which is the hotel/office aesthetic.
but also, obviously what is average depends on the location so a developer in potomac, md is going to be building to a different standard than one in jackson, mo
if you want good aesthetics in your house you're probably best off buying a lovely house and remodeling it. that costs a lot of money, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Nothus posted:

The range in the island is just the dumbest thing. Spewing fumes and grease all over my kitchen so I don't have to turn around to watch TV and yell at the kids while I cook.

the one in the op has a vent hood, as they typically do. but yeah i wouldn't want a huge pot of bolognese spewing sauce in the middle of my kitchen like some kinda italian sprinkler, though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Nothus posted:

Sauteing or pan-frying stuff makes smoke sometimes. There's no vent above that range.

it's right in the top middle of the pic

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i think that's a bucket for holding wood, not a chamber pot. though that fireplace doesn't look used or even deep enough to be an actual fireplace

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

having grown up with a gas range and used a gas range until I moved into my current place a few years ago, unless you have one of those jet engine ranges like a Chinese restaurant there's basically zero downside to having an electric range and people that complain about it are fuckin dumb. Are you blistering peppers every day? gently caress off

gas stoves tend to be slightly cheaper to buy and they can be a lot cheaper to operate depending on where you live. other than that not much real advantage compared to electric ones.
other than removing a potential source of brain damage, respiratory problems, and cancer, I guess, but the easy solution there is just having a drafty rear end house or opening a window