Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I do cook (sometimes), mostly in a dutch oven (at least in the winter) and haven't had any issues with electric/ceramic. I would have done induction but at the time I got my range they were still quite a bit more expensive.

or are you one of those "REAL cooks only use gas" people

Dutch oven does a huge amount to cover for what resistive electrics (including ceramic) get wrong, though. The problem to begin with is that outside of maybe the most expensive models they're duty cycle control rather than output continuum, and if you don't have a large and heavy piece of something in between to mediate it's just blasting, then off, then blasting again. And then if you have a large and heavy piece of ceramic PLUS a large and heavy piece of metal in between, you get the same problem from the opposite direction where it operates until the ceramic holds enough heat to do what you'd want to do with a thinner pan and then it just switches off leaving the heavy dutch oven or skillet or stockpot lukewarm.

You could build a resistive mechanism that doesn't do this, but we're a hundred years plus into them as products and the savings from a bang-bang controller rather than a variable transformer still mean almost all come that way. It's almost definitely more expensive at this point than just going with induction, where the bang-bang can be sampling the temperature of the actual cooking vessel rather than time-on or the temperature of the stovetop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You should be fine for what you're probably cooking in those, it's basically just like the thing with old driving video games where if you're pressing A you get max power and if you're not pressing A you get nothing so you have to feather.
For ceramic, honestly, I'm stuck with a garbage landlord special and the biggest problem is that it doesn't know not to feather when I'm going up a hill in Snowrunner (trying to get a dutch oven + a couple liters of oil back up to temp ASAP so the pound of chilled fish or frozen potatoes I just dumped in don't just marinate in grease.)

And, from a design perspective, I do have to admit that not only does it look pretty but the added counter space is probably worth it. Hell, it makes a nice heat-resistant stand for the camp stove I do the frying on, even.