Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, it made me want to see a good stage performance

is there like a "tenth anniversary dream cast" performance to watch on the tubez or is it a real "you gotta be there" kinda thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

smarxist posted:

yeah, it made me want to see a good stage performance

is there like a "tenth anniversary dream cast" performance to watch on the tubez or is it a real "you gotta be there" kinda thing

this is an edited down version but i had the vhs on repeat as a kid its good https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_(1998_film)

those dream cast performances are cool but theyre a touch more modern than cats

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
big fan of doing musicals semi-staged oratorio style. candide and MASS are good examples though neither is strictly a "musical"

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i am a Bernstein Freak

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
is avenue Q aids

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
havent given it a listen in years. its definitely cringe though

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
hm. dont think it aged well

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

smarxist posted:

is avenue Q aids

i saw a touring production of it (in the same theatre i saw the live welcome to nightvale tour) and it was fine but it felt dated even back in 20?? and the wiki entry is making me shake my head kind of all ashamed

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i think epic edgy issue comedy musicals generally have that kind of problem. book of mormon is another example. its really hard to do shock without aging badly + theyre never as funny as they want to be

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

i think epic edgy issue comedy musicals generally have that kind of problem. book of mormon is another example. its really hard to do shock without aging badly + theyre never as funny as they want to be

shout-out to The Fantasticks for attempting to do a "Rape" double entendre where they used it in the archaic meaning of abduction, but also kinda wink-wink havin a little rape

some lovely music in that one

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

webcams for christ posted:

shout-out to The Fantasticks for attempting to do a "Rape" double entendre where they used it in the archaic meaning of abduction, but also kinda wink-wink havin a little rape

some lovely music in that one

ive been listening to a lot of jazz and showtune deluxe album type deals on spotify and ive hit at least two rape jokes out of nowhere in an interview or chitchat in a live set interlude. times have changed

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

sometimes i'm in the car and the original cast recording for Hair comes up on random play and i gotta roll the windows up like i;'m office space

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

let the sunshine in is on a couple of my gym playlists

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

oh Hair has great music imho but there's a few tracks that require some you know some contextualizing and then next thing you're that meme of the skinny white girl yelling in the bored young man's ear about race relations in 1960s USA

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my sixth grade choir teacher musicalpilled me with sweeney todd and its been over ever since

we took a class trip to NYC to see the big assed Phantom production and its still one of my fave memories

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Al! posted:

oh, u mean elphaba???

actually its elphabaphilia

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ohtori Akio posted:

hm. dont think it aged well

this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ohtori Akio posted:

it was a good movie to be on drugs for but it was a very very bad performance of the musical imo.

id imagine its a lot better when its a stage performance by people who can actually sing and dance instead of celebrities and jennifer hudson

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
for some reason i just falsely remembered Mike Myers being in that flick and realized i was conflating it with the cat in the hat and now i can't stop thinking about how funny it'd be if stupid Mike Myers cat in the hat was bumbling around in that movie like Mr Bean

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hmm

gas.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

smarxist posted:

my sixth grade choir teacher musicalpilled me with sweeney todd and its been over ever since

we took a class trip to NYC to see the big assed Phantom production and its still one of my fave memories

apparently they really cut down the scale of phantom during the pandemic its very gay. idk if any worldwide production still has the big orchestra and sculptures

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

apparently they really cut down the scale of phantom during the pandemic its very gay. idk if any worldwide production still has the big orchestra and sculptures

nah they just closed it. it will reopen as a smaller version. but there's not really a way with the CBAs to substantially reduce headcount while a show is running. the current West End version is more or less where the new one is headed

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0ANf5qoMc

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

webcams for christ posted:

nah they just closed it. it will reopen as a smaller version. but there's not really a way with the CBAs to substantially reduce headcount while a show is running. the current West End version is more or less where the new one is headed

thats right i had the timelines mixed up. bizarre statuary and excessive numbers of string players ftw though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

cats loving ruled, it was such an unfinished movie and was even missing computer effects in the final cut so some scenes just didn't make sense or looked like poo poo. plus the director and editor must have each had a series of head injuries because a few extra computer doodads weren't gonna save it.
when i saw it on release the entire theater was just howling with laughter for most of it, honestly a 10/10 for being such a tremendous fuckup

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i matched with someone on tinder who has their job listed as "broadway producer." what's a good musical i should watch and say i like to impress this woman? thank you all in advance

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
west side story is a classic and personal favorite. my fair lady is a little more conventional and also has a lovely movie. could also go older but i don't think that would boost the cred at all, newer stuff they might have strong opinions on

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ohtori Akio posted:

west side story is a classic and personal favorite. my fair lady is a little more conventional and also has a lovely movie. could also go older but i don't think that would boost the cred at all, newer stuff they might have strong opinions on

My Fair Lady has some real bangers in it, but I can't look at it the same way after I learned how adamant Shaw was that Eliza and Prof Higgens should not end up together at the end of the play it's based on and his reasoning why.

Eat This Glob posted:

i matched with someone on tinder who has their job listed as "broadway producer." what's a good musical i should watch and say i like to impress this woman? thank you all in advance

Just talk about how George Bernard Shaw hated the idea of Eliza and the Professor from getting together at the end of Pygmalion and how My Fair Lady does it anyway and you'll look all smart and feminist and poo poo.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Eat This Glob posted:

fool, tell her you've never seen a musical but would like to

but also yeah west side story duh

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

The Music Man would be a safe choice esp since you're lying

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Weembles posted:

My Fair Lady has some real bangers in it, but I can't look at it the same way after I learned how adamant Shaw was that Eliza and Prof Higgens should not end up together at the end of the play it's based on and his reasoning why.

Just talk about how George Bernard Shaw hated the idea of Eliza and the Professor from getting together at the end of Pygmalion and how My Fair Lady does it anyway and you'll look all smart and feminist and poo poo.

i'm sympathetic to shaw's point of view here and the moral arc of an eliza who ditches him. i think the framing of her getting with higgins vs. getting with freddy is unfortunate though, because it flattens her character into "who is it more romantic to fall for". the eliza of my fair lady, a work way more romantic than the play, i think clearly has a gut check and decides she has to be with the one she feels most strongly for and i like it.

sprechstimme ftmfw

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

fool, tell her you've never seen a musical but would like

yeah don’t lie dumbass. whoops forgot not to sign my post

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
if you watch west side story and have a good time youre too retarded to have a relatiuonship with this person anyways.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

yeah don’t lie dumbass. whoops forgot not to sign my post

point

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ohtori Akio posted:

i'm sympathetic to shaw's point of view here and the moral arc of an eliza who ditches him. i think the framing of her getting with higgins vs. getting with freddy is unfortunate though, because it flattens her character into "who is it more romantic to fall for". the eliza of my fair lady, a work way more romantic than the play, i think clearly has a gut check and decides she has to be with the one she feels most strongly for and i like it.

Everybody agrees with you, which drove Shaw nuts. Starting from the *rehersals* of the very first production of Pygmalion, his producers and actors were taking him asside and saying "hey, GB, do you know what would make this story really pop?" He had to write a whole essay to append to the end of the published play to double down on his decision. The musical just made it impossible to resist.

Ohtori Akio posted:

sprechstimme ftmfw

Singing is for nerds. That's what the orchestra's there for.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
george bernard shaw is loving canceled.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Eat This Glob posted:

use them to get tickets to merrily we roll along

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

one of the romantic leads of fiddler on the roof is an unrepentant bolshevik, how to succeed in business without really trying basically tells you what you need to advance up the corporate ladder is to be a relentless sociopath, assassins says "listen bud...america deserved john wilkes booth and lee harvey oswald", cabaret documents the weimar complacency that let the nazis take power, i could go on

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lol that assassins will never be performed again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
id love to see a performance of die fledermaus