Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ohtori Akio posted:

west side story is a classic and personal favorite. my fair lady is a little more conventional and also has a lovely movie. could also go older but i don't think that would boost the cred at all, newer stuff they might have strong opinions on

My Fair Lady has some real bangers in it, but I can't look at it the same way after I learned how adamant Shaw was that Eliza and Prof Higgens should not end up together at the end of the play it's based on and his reasoning why.

Eat This Glob posted:

i matched with someone on tinder who has their job listed as "broadway producer." what's a good musical i should watch and say i like to impress this woman? thank you all in advance

Just talk about how George Bernard Shaw hated the idea of Eliza and the Professor from getting together at the end of Pygmalion and how My Fair Lady does it anyway and you'll look all smart and feminist and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ohtori Akio posted:

i'm sympathetic to shaw's point of view here and the moral arc of an eliza who ditches him. i think the framing of her getting with higgins vs. getting with freddy is unfortunate though, because it flattens her character into "who is it more romantic to fall for". the eliza of my fair lady, a work way more romantic than the play, i think clearly has a gut check and decides she has to be with the one she feels most strongly for and i like it.

Everybody agrees with you, which drove Shaw nuts. Starting from the *rehersals* of the very first production of Pygmalion, his producers and actors were taking him asside and saying "hey, GB, do you know what would make this story really pop?" He had to write a whole essay to append to the end of the published play to double down on his decision. The musical just made it impossible to resist.

Ohtori Akio posted:

sprechstimme ftmfw

Singing is for nerds. That's what the orchestra's there for.