Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
After this card, who actually gets the next 185 title shot?
This poll is closed.
Khamzat Chimaev 2 25.00%
Kamaru Usman 0 0%
Jared Cannonier 1 12.50%
Murilo Bustamante 5 62.50%
Total: 8 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Benson Cunningham posted:

Islam found a hole in Volk's game. I don't know that a fight camp changes that.

Is it a hole? He just got caught no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I wonder if the UFC still pushes for Volk/Topuria in January.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

MikeC posted:

Islam even said it in the post-match interview. This is what they trained, they knew it was an opening Volk had. With the height difference and the height of Volk's guard, the kick landed clean exactly where he planned it. Don't think anything about that was luck.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Missed the card, but found this

https://twitter.com/TahseenAlmas/status/1715801818976940279

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Islam even said it in the post-match interview. This is what they trained, they knew it was an opening Volk had. With the height difference and the height of Volk's guard, the kick landed clean exactly where he planned it. Don't think anything about that was luck.

Yeah, he even landed it glancing earlier in the round.

That said, I think it's a mistake to underestimate the difference conditioning and properly moving up could make, and if Volk did survive he is excellent at adjusting mid fight. It could've still played out this way but I think it's far from a given.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

If someone is 5 inches shorter than you, a very straightforward and effective strategy is to simply kick them in the head.

Volkanovski ultimately looked like he had about 11 days to prepare, and didn't seem anywhere near as sharp as he usually does.

Islam looked great and like he had been training to kick a smaller person in the head for approximately seven months.

Not mad about Khamzat winning that fight since he dominated the first round, the second round nothing happened, and the third round you could maybe (???) give to Usman if you're feeling generous and you consider the approximately 20 seconds of striking that he won to be decisive enough. I didn't see any kind of urgency or attempt to actively win the fight by Usman until the final ten seconds - guessing part of that is adjusting to three-round fights after spending so long prepping for five, being tired, and also just really not wanting to be taken down and controlled again. I wouldn't have been upset by a draw, but thought Khamzat had done enough to win.

"What country are we in?" is a ridiculous question to ask to determine if someone is okay, when you're asking it in someone's second language and they've just flown to the United Arab Emirates, one minute into the five minutes he has to recover, when he's just been kneed in the head and is having a gigantic adrenaline dump. Maybe give him a bit of extra time and ask something simpler like ''How old are you/what year is it/How many fingers am I holding up?" With that said, Walker seemed angry-concussed so the doctor probably got the right answer, just not really with the correct method.

Genuinely I think if you asked every fighter to name the country they're in PRIOR to their fight, the success rate would be about 50%.

Also everyone is going to get a staph infection.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MikeC posted:

mighty mouse talked about the body kick a lot in the mirror angle match up. your options for dealing with it are:
1. eat it,
2. block it (still does damage)
3. back out of range

it also sets up the head kick and the left straight (the ol' cro cop question). last fight, volk managed to neutralise it more by getting in and out of range and taking the outside angle more often.

the question is did islam manage to beat volk in the distance/positioning game or did alex forgo it because he knew he didn't have the cardio to keep it up for 5 rounds or maybe he was too focused on proving he could outwrestle islam.

imo it's possible for volk to win with a full fight camp on a good night but islam is the better fighter at lightweight and would win most of the time.

edit:

are any of the other fights worth watching?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

crepeface posted:

are any of the other fights worth watching?

Breeden/Jubli is hilarious, Mokaev/Elliott isn't great but it does have a couple real fun grappling exchanges, and you can get through Nurmagomedov/Gafurov and Aliskerov/Alves very quickly.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

CarlCX posted:

Breeden/Jubli is hilarious, Mokaev/Elliott isn't great but it does have a couple real fun grappling exchanges, and you can get through Nurmagomedov/Gafurov and Aliskerov/Alves very quickly.

I tuned in during round 3 of Breeden / Jubli and was trying to figure out why the guy who was like +1000 on the live odds was beating the poo poo out of the other one

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

CarlCX posted:

tx

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When I was looking for the clip of the KO, one of the top comments on the reddit thread with it says Mighty Mouse immediately picked up Volk's vulnerability to this KO in his first fight analysis, which I dunno if true cos not watched, but if someone were to have super scanner weakness highlighting brain, Mighty Mouse would be one

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Josuke Higashikata posted:

When I was looking for the clip of the KO, one of the top comments on the reddit thread with it says Mighty Mouse immediately picked up Volk's vulnerability to this KO in his first fight analysis, which I dunno if true cos not watched, but if someone were to have super scanner weakness highlighting brain, Mighty Mouse would be one

ya, here's him saying he called it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZDwlXUwGg

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xox1VucGusc&t=895s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Islam found a hole in Volk's game. I don't know that a fight camp changes that.
Maybe not for some fighters, but I trust Volk to be able to adjust his game.

crepeface posted:

the question is did islam manage to beat volk in the distance/positioning game or did alex forgo it because he knew he didn't have the cardio to keep it up for 5 rounds or maybe he was too focused on proving he could outwrestle islam.

imo it's possible for volk to win with a full fight camp on a good night but islam is the better fighter at lightweight and would win most of the time.

Yeah, you need to on the razor's edge, and not having the buildup of a camp, smaller mistakes can kill.

I've brought up Barry Robinson and his rhythm step critique of fighter footwork, and he's labeling this an example of a rhythm step failure by Volk.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CyrPRLxSOUw/?hl=en

The explanation goes: he rhythm steps (pulls his front foot back, narrowing his stance, then spreads it back out), gives Islam a tell without realizing it (and likely without Islam fully realizing it) and then loses a tiny bit of initiative when Islam goes in, not getting the hand up / head back etc etc. Leaning into the kick was definitely the wrong reflex in mirror stance at that distance.

That is such an ingrained tic that it would be harder to erase for someone of Volk's experience level.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

A Passing Feeling posted:

"What country are we in?" is a ridiculous question to ask to determine if someone is okay, when you're asking it in someone's second language and they've just flown to the United Arab Emirates, one minute into the five minutes he has to recover, when he's just been kneed in the head and is having a gigantic adrenaline dump. Maybe give him a bit of extra time and ask something simpler like ''How old are you/what year is it/How many fingers am I holding up?" With that said, Walker seemed angry-concussed so the doctor probably got the right answer, just not really with the correct method.

I'm a doctor, albeit not a doctor who practices sports medicine, and the only thing that ringside doc did wrong was not use a spanish interpreter. It was very easy to identify Walker was delirious. To start, I would expect any cognitively intact human being to be able to answer what country they were in clearly, concisely, and within 2 seconds. Walker's response was highly troubling-- he took a good 5-6 seconds to respond and in that time he gave a glazed stare forward, then looked up at the ceiling, before finally looking at the doctor and completely failing to respond to the question asked. He then responded with an equally concerning question about what round it was when not even a single round had gone by.

He should not be given any extra amount of time. If he can't answer basic orientation questions about the country he is in, he absolutely should not be allowed back in the ring.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Well doc considering you think he should have brought in a Spanish interpreter raises all sorts of other questions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also Walker trains in Ireland in an English-speaking camp.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Portuguese, my bad. My intent was to say using someone’s primary language would be most appropriate. The more fluent Walker is in English, the worse that exam looks for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

Also Walker trains in Ireland in an English-speaking camp.

I can’t say that makes me think his English would be markedly better. You can get by with miming for all but the most technical grappling details.

From the replay where you can see the doc’s questions and the delay in responding, I think it’s a pretty solid case it wasn’t just a language barrier though.