Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
of all the software released in the last few years, of all the new versions of poo poo, what can we accomplish now on our computer that we couldn't before?

like if you went back in time to 2018, or hell even 2013, what program (or, ugh, gently caress, i guess website) or feature thereof would you miss being able to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more memes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ease of loggin’ in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
two factor authentication on your washing machine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tik tok

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a dream I made this thread :

title : italian babies

first post in thread : goo goo gia :discourse:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe things like password managers and proper MFA becoming more standardized. Thats not really a new technology tho, just wider adoption of existing stuff.

rtx and vr are kind of cool i guess, but i wouldnt say they're critical.

Other than that i think if we reverted all tech to 10 years ago everything would be better. Even advances in raw compute performance have only been used to paper over the poor performance of bad (javascript) "applications".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
AI voice generation for memes and twitch donations is pretty good. i'd miss that i think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hbag

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

massive bandwidth and data cap increases really has pushed what's practical to do on mobile devices dis-proportionally to the device hardware per se, imho

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

elden ring and rimworld, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
we've created a lot of value for shareholders, op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

polyester concept posted:

elden ring and rimworld, op

rimworld full release came out five years ago

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

cars have a bunch of garbage now that's difficult or impossible to turn off

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

what are you talking about op, we are living in the golden age of web3 and ai

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ai services have unironically made quite an impact to boring stuff. the main value i’ve seen is turning unstructured data into structured data, for example pointing a camera at analogue monitor read outs and turning that into a digital dashboard that can be seen/alerted on from anywhere. some guy at work worked with a health board to ingest 200,000 radiologist reports which were just unstructured text and now we have nationwide analytics on efficacy of scans and resulting treatments

also as a pleb i feel like appification of everything is in a good place now, like i am in the middle of travelling internationally and every little thing is conveniently purchasable from my phone then i can just scan a qr code to board/check in etc

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
oled is nice but not revolutionary

batteries are way better than they were a decade ago

other than that, idk

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

git apologist posted:

also as a pleb i feel like appification of everything is in a good place now, like i am in the middle of travelling internationally and every little thing is conveniently purchasable from my phone then i can just scan a qr code to board/check in etc

oh yeah the instant image google translate stuff is great. i know they've been doing photo-based translate for a while, but it's really slick how fast and seamless it is now. great for travel

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

hosed up reply/edit buttons

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:cawg:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

so much stuff op, the market is going to keep growing forever and we are in a period of boundless exponential growth that will never cease

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wait what do you mean there are finite resources and technological advancement has slowed to a crawl because we have solved all the easy problems and now there are only difficult things not worth doing?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Eeyo posted:

wait what do you mean there are finite resources and technological advancement has slowed to a crawl because we have solved all the easy problems and now there are only difficult things not worth doing?

no

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

science nerd talk but holy poo poo 10 years ago we sucked at so much and today we still suck but computer stuff has revolutionised sceince - cryoEM and modelling (alphafold) could not be done 5 years ago at the level we're seeing today. probably also a bunch of boring dna stuff like high-throughput sequencing and somehow turning random electrical signals into something useful

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bssoil posted:

science nerd talk but holy poo poo 10 years ago we sucked at so much and today we still suck but computer stuff has revolutionised sceince - cryoEM and modelling (alphafold) could not be done 5 years ago at the level we're seeing today. probably also a bunch of boring dna stuff like high-throughput sequencing and somehow turning random electrical signals into something useful

yospos: somehow turning random electrical signals into something awful

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
id miss the forums running much better since jeffrey

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
AI tittys, OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually ngl how AI poo poo is sneaking into instagram and adult entertainment websites

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

actually ngl how AI poo poo is sneaking into instagram and adult entertainment websites

idk how anyone is supposed to jerk it to foot videos if the feet are made of chicken talons and thumbs

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 22, 2023

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

of all the software released in the last few years, of all the new versions of poo poo, what can we accomplish now on our computer that we couldn't before?

like if you went back in time to 2018, or hell even 2013, what program (or, ugh, gently caress, i guess website) or feature thereof would you miss being able to use?

we have put computers in every object that needs a computer and in quite a few more that didn't need it beside

we have connected to the internet every object that needed to be connected to the internet and quite a few more that didn't need to beside

the real innovation was hardware companies managing to make computers small enough to do the above, all the rest of the "innovations" was to make use of it wherever possible

that's why tech companies have been running around like headless chicken for the past few years frantically chasing any dumb thing that might look like the "next big thing", like "internet of things", VR, buttcoin, self driving cars, and now AI, but there's just no next big thing to be had in the computer world. it's only incremental improvements from now on

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
faceid/portable lidar/consumer photogrammetry

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wouldn’t miss functionality as much as content - a lot of really loving cool stuff was made in the past 10 years

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

actually no I’d miss wlan and wifi

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wifi existed in 1998

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
you can pry the legs on my metaverse avatar from my cold, dead hands op

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Silver Alicorn posted:

wifi existed in 1998

not as decently as it is now

mystes
May 31, 2006

emoji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
those human npc videos