Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I dunno what it is about cemeteries that has interested me since I was little, but I've always felt at peace and never scared while walking through a cemetery solemnly and reading individual grave markers and headstones. There's a lot of history that's told through who's buried in what cemetery, along with the intricate headstones of the past that could themselves be museum pieces. Some cemeteries that are part of an old church or temple complex may even have historical documents or a tome identifying important dates and people. It's how I found a bunch of my ancestors with my familial name going back to at least the early 18th century Viceroyalty of New Spain in an old tome that I've seen and held in person at the Tumacacori Mission & Museum in southern Arizona.

If I ever make it to New England, I would love to visit an old Puritan cemetery because I really love the funerary artistry of headstones from the Colonial-era. Death's head with wings carved by hand are really neat, and no two are ever alike. Check out this rad memento mori skull and crossbones with an hourglass headstone:

Or what about this personification of Death with a half a sandwich beckoning the other dude with a jar of pickles to give him one (its an hourglass lol):

But this thread can be about ANY place where the dead permanently rest and not just cemeteries. Ossuaries, ancient necropolises and tombs, catacombs, mausoleums, whatever! What's your favorite means of the living honoring the dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I once saw a malfunction at a crematorium burn the place down.
The heat required to turn a body into anything resembling cremains is pretty extreme. It's often done with natural gas with some pressure.

So this thing was shooting a pike of flame out of it, and the firefighters were having trouble turning it off.

All of this happened around midnight during a waning moon, so it was pretty atmospherically spooky. I shoulda took pictures.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sedlec Ossuary outside of Prague is the GOAT of this thread. It contains the bones of 40,000+ people used as decorative elements and just giant skull piles.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 22, 2023

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
i think the graveyard in highgate is rather pretty. apparently it had a vampire, which thankfully seems to have been put to rest.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I took a girl on a date to the city's big old cemetery to look at the badass tombstones once. I knew the relationship was dead once she ghosted me. :ghost:

I got a bunch of sweet pictures of statues and history though. So it was worth it! Too bad I lost the photos sometime in the last ten years

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Slaan posted:

I took a girl on a date to the city's big old cemetery

Dude I did this once and when we got back to my house she handed me a pocket full of pretty stones she found.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Swamp
Oct 4, 2023
I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes from Bonaventure Cemetery. It's such a peaceful place to walk through. My partner and I will occasionally take lunch there and have a picnic overlooking the river.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

stealie72 posted:

Sedlec Ossuary outside of Prague is the GOAT of this thread. It contains the bones of 40,000+ people used as decorative elements and just giant skull piles.

:hellyeah: I may never be able to get my sorry rear end to Prague, but Sedlec Ossuary is something I would definitely make a purpose in life to see in person.

Decedent posted:

Dude I did this once and when we got back to my house she handed me a pocket full of pretty stones she found.

That’s really sweet :)

Corambis posted:

i think the graveyard in highgate is rather pretty. apparently it had a vampire, which thankfully seems to have been put to rest.

That!s a fine looking cemetery. I wish ours were that seasoned with plant life and trees.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

One of the best cemeteries I've visited (in 2009) is the Novodevichy Convent Necropolis in Moscow. It is an open air gallery of art deco and Soviet sculpture.

Most goons probably won't be visiting Moscow for casual tourism soon, so please enjoy the photos that are available online.

https://www.moscow-driver.com/photos/moscow_sightseeing/novodevichy_necropolis
https://afterburner.com.pl/a-walk-through-the-resting-place-of-aviation-legends/

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

One of the older cemeteries in my hometown:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nicolas Cage's tomb, in New Orleans

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Anyone live a city that Poltergeisted their former cemeteries (leave the body/casket but move the headstones to another cemetery)? Tucson's first three cemeteries are like that.

The first cemetery (1776-1850) is in situ underneath downtown streets and buildings with no plans to excavate. The second cemetery (1850-1881) was only excavated because the city built a giant court and public service center where the cemetery originally was after demolishing the multiple buildings and streets that were over the burials. Something like 1200 burials were still in place, and they put the remains into ossuaries and reburied them in appropriate cemeteries with honors (a lot of the burials were Civil War veterans).

The third cemetery (1875-1909) fascinates me because an entire neighborhood is currently situated over it. The city closed the cemetery in 1909 and gave people five or so years to move the burials to the (then new) current cemeteries still in use, but a lot of people were too poor to rebury their family members, so a lot of gravestones were destroyed rather than being moved, the burials were left in place, and they started developing the neighborhood over it starting around 1916. Lots of skeevy underhanded poo poo going on with the mortuaries and gravediggers of the time, so a lot of record keeping was poor and the bodies that were moved probably weren't or only pieces of the body were (gravedigger in 1912: "This femur and pelvic bone? Eh, good enough."). It's not uncommon for people in the neighborhood to dig a hole for a mailbox or tree, or for city workers to do ground line work in the streets and hit a coffin or two or three with a body still inside, and it's happened throughout the years.

https://desert.com/court-street/

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Anyone live a city that Poltergeisted their former cemeteries (leave the body/casket but move the headstones to another cemetery)? Tucson's first three cemeteries are like that.

Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Markets is built over the cities former graveyard. While the marked graves were transferred across during construction, most unmarked graves, largely those of aboriginals, were built over.

Swamp posted:

I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes from Bonaventure Cemetery. It's such a peaceful place to walk through. My partner and I will occasionally take lunch there and have a picnic overlooking the river.

is this spanish moss hanging down? it’s so pretty!

Corambis fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 28, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I had a great time hanging out with cats in a cemetery in Reykjavik

Barking Gecko
Apr 10, 2016

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

San Francisco did this.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/san-francisco-mission-city-cemetery-forgotten-oldest-graves-buried

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

this bad boy is even weirder in person. I first came across it without knowing who it was for. It's in Saint-Louis No. 1, surrounded by these faded, beautiful, sinking mausoleum's in a perfect horror movie setting

then you come across this thing, sitting empty, in the middle

fun fact: he also once bought LaLaurie House, regular stop on NOLA ghost tours and considered one of the most haunted in the US

----------------

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I haven’t heard of that, but my sister was telling me about something similar in Sweden. She’s got a couple headstones lying in her yard because apparently when you bury someone in a cemetery you aren’t buying the spot forever. After you stop paying for it they pull out the headstone and bury someone in the same spot.

It’s a little crazy to image you pay a few thousand dollars or whatever and expect to have that piece of land forever. It doesn’t make much sense as a business model, after a while there won’t be any money coming in for maintenance.

E- here’s a tombstone I liked, it looked like a piece of toast is ready

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s terrible that those Native and Chinese people were memory-holed, forgotten, and will probably never be exhumed and reburied properly :(

Snowy posted:

I had a great time hanging out with cats in a cemetery in Reykjavik

Those are some cool cats :)

Snowy posted:

I haven’t heard of that, but my sister was telling me about something similar in Sweden. She’s got a couple headstones lying in her yard because apparently when you bury someone in a cemetery you aren’t buying the spot forever. After you stop paying for it they pull out the headstone and bury someone in the same spot.

:stonk: So does like the cemetery remove the original burial and put a new one in its place, or do they just put a new burial over the one already in the ground?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:stonk: So does like the cemetery remove the original burial and put a new one in its place, or do they just put a new burial over the one already in the ground?

To the best of my knowledge the idea is that the spot is ready for another body and they put it right on top. I may be very well getting this drastically wrong, but I like the idea

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I stumbled across this Tom Scott video in my recommendations the other day and instantly recognised the opening shots of Belas Knap as somewhere I visited a few years ago. I had no idea they had built a new long barrow nearby(ish), but now I'm thinking of grabbing a spot there when I die.

https://youtu.be/_G2Q1qsoGEU?si=ePFdwh0Fufk_akSl

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 29, 2023

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Incredible craft on this headstone in Pittsburgh

This one in Toronto is also something

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Gur-e-Amir - tomb of central Asian conqueror Tamerlane, in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. Constructed 1404, heavily restored in mid-20th century. Inspiration at least in part for the Taj Mahal.

outer gate:

interior:

interior detail:

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 30, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I used to live next door to the Santa Rosa Rural Cemetary one of the oldest in California (IIRC)

----------------

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I often wonder about this crypt I saw in a cemetery in NYC where the door was barred with the most slapdash looking piece of wood ever:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"ehh, he was a scrawny nerd when he was alive, he'll probably be a pretty weak zombie"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Rosalind posted:

I often wonder about this crypt I saw in a cemetery in NYC where the door was barred with the most slapdash looking piece of wood ever:

Its a piece of Noah's ark. An undead unicorn is trapped inside. :haibrow:

----------------

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

If I ever make it to New England, I would love to visit an old Puritan cemetery because I really love the funerary artistry of headstones from the Colonial-era.

*runs in, panting furiously* I just saw this thread now. I'm gonna cram 25+ years of taphology and grave photography into the remaining three days of spookyposting so hang on to your butts.

Old Burial Hill in Salem MA (Marblehead, actually, right next door to Salem) has amazing colonial era headstones. I took these in October of 2016.

Sign at the foot of OBH. It's a small climb, and you can look out onto the Atlantic Ocean from the top.

Somehow, I did not take any pics of the ocean from the top of the hill. It's the barely visible blue triangle hidden behind a tree above the rightmost stone. At the top of the hill you can see the horizon, this photo does not do it justice at all.

One of the oldest graves at the top belongs to Richard Hawley, died 10/1/1698 at age 63. Six Teen Ninety Eight. That is nothing historywise for Eurogoons; it's almost inconceivably old in terms of US-history-years.

The stone on the right is one of the oldest graves on OBH. Thaddeus Ridden, age 66, January 6th, 1690/1. Changeover from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar at various stages and places in the world is the reason for this ambiguity about the year.

Prudence, who was the wife of someone I'm not going to dig through the folders to find the full photo for the name of. But check out that neat winged skull cherub device with the hourglass above it! Time's up, dear Prudence.

Another winged skull on the stone of Elizabeth Stanly, died 11/25/1771. The lichen gives it a sassy flower-behind-the-ear Dia de los Muertos Catrina feel.

This is the most ornately carved stone I saw on OBH, belonging to Susanna Jayne, died 8/8/1776 at age 45. It's reinforced with concrete around the original.

e: I never post anything without a typo or five and this post was no exception

Thora fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 30, 2023

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Old Burial Hill, Salem (Marblehead) MA parte deux, The Burying Point graveyard in middle of Salem, and the Salem Witch Trials Memorial

I found the shots of the ocean in my other pants. e: I have no idea why the first one appears crooked and in a black frame. I must have goofed somewhere along the way when editing. The first one looks crooked because it was shot standing inside a gazebo, the black is the wood frame.

Rev Johannis Barnard, 1770. Fancy Latin inscribed stone for a man of the cloth. Time runs out for everyone, we're all just meatbags of varying sizes hosting complex electrobiochemical reactions while swaddling a skeleton, with an invisible hourglass over our heads ticking down the minutes while death waits with his scythe. That is what the Latin says. You can tell my translation is accurate because it's summarized in the cherub device.

Christopher Lattimore, ~70 years old, 10/5/1690. Reinforced with a concrete frame.

Another fancypants religious guy with Latin on his stone. The woman's stone is of a similar style and next to his because of (reasons) but she does not appear to be his spouse. She is Anna Barnard (8/24/1774), wife of Rev John Barnard. The guy on the other stone is Pastor William Whitwell (11/8/1781).

It was rare for slaves to be buried in a white cemetary, let alone have a headstone placed for them. Rest well, Agnes. You must have been very loved. More here about this stone https://www.wickedlocal.com/story/marblehead-reporter/2021/02/20/honoring-agnes-commemorating-marblehead-slave-300-years-later/4522265001/

The Burying Point stones

Her name? Doesn't matter. She was a CHRISTIAN WIFE to Richard More and that's what's important. 3/18/1676

Jane, second wife to Capt Richard More Senior, 55 years, departed this life 10/8/1686. Lots of people dying in October for some reason I've noticed as I put this post together.

Mayflower Pilgrim, Captain Richard More (i.e. he was a captain, but not The Captain of the Mayflower), 84 years, 1692. Assuming this is the same Richard More as the above two stones, there's a story there about why the starter wife didn't get a name on her stone, but upgrade wife did.

1/25/1796 (I think. Roman numerals class was a long time ago). "Nathaniel Richardson AEt: LIV (age: 54). His death was instant from the pressure of a building he was assisting to remove. He was an industrious man and was in the full prosperity of life." Ux Et Ril Vi Pos below that? I don't know Latin outside of science terms. Maybe Ux et Fil, like wife and son? :iiam: e: spelling out "wife" in Latin (Uxor) and changing "ril" to "Fil" so we have "uxor et fil vi pos", which means, according to a translator I found online, "I have a wife and a son" :ms:

10/17/1688. Another really old one. "Mr Nathanael Mather, an aged person that had seen but ninteen winters in the world." The script uses the sort-of f as an uncapitalized s at the start of words and in the middle of words, as was the style of the time back in 16-diggity-two.

In memory of Mrs Anna Burrill. I could make an analogy about how memorial tattoos are like this carved image but I'll let someone else have that fun.

In Memory of Polly Sweetser
Daughter of Sam & Betsey Sweetser
Obt (died) Oct 5, 1800 Aet (age) 22
Time was I stood as you do now
And view the dead as thou dost me
E'er long you'll lay as low as I
and others stand and gaze on thee.

:smug:

:holy:

Rebecca Nurse memorial stone, Salem Witch Trials Monument

e: I never post anything without a typo or five and this post was no exception, either

Thora fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 30, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Fat Albert in a can posted:

*runs in, panting furiously*

These were two incredible posts of New England headstones. Informative, touching, neat, funny. I’m glad you shared these. Thank you :)

And yeah, most Europeans would scoff at a grave from 16-dickety-when, but to the New World, that is old as poo poo. Someone living over three hundred years ago and then kicking the bucket is a big deal to me because it seems so long ago and the United States doesn’t have much left from before the 18th century/pre-colonial times.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

*runs in, panting furiously*

these are absolutely wonderful posts/pictures! thank you for sharing!

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Thank you, I'm glad you both enjoyed! I have more. Lots more, from lots of places. I've been doing this since February of 1998. I will flood this place with headstones but I don't want to take over the thread and make it into a LoOk At Me! kind of thing. I will edit them in if it's ok!

e: thanks! working on it now.

Thora fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 30, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Thank you, I'm glad you both enjoyed! I have more. Lots more, from lots of places. I've been doing this since February of 1998. I will flood this place with headstones but I don't want to take over the thread and make it into a LoOk At Me! kind of thing. I will edit them in if it's ok!

EDIT:

Pragmatica posted:

you should do a post my favorite thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=670

i would definitely follow your updates and posts there.

yeah, this sounds cool as heck and I would love to see more.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 30, 2023

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

you should do a post my favorite thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=670

i would definitely follow your updates and posts there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I lived steps from the Green-Wood Cemetery gates in NYC for a few years and miss it dearly. I'm on the other side of Brooklyn now and am constantly making excuses to go down that way. Just miles and miles of incredible rolling hills and gorgeous scenery and beautiful graves and crypts and mausoleums going back to the days of the colonies (well, a few pre-US graves were moved here, at least). I would go on long strolls whenever I could manage. Just the best place in New York City, a perfect getaway to spooky nature in the middle of a metropolis.

Especially gorgeous on a foggy morning.

e: videos not embedding for some reason:

https://i.imgur.com/VXfjH3p.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/BEB4JwD.mp4

Just went to an after hours event there last week where you could wander to dozens of spooky performance art, music, and experimental film stations that, let's be honest, were created entirely for people on mushrooms. Did mushrooms with friends, had a great time.

Also went to a comedy show in a crypt there the other night. Would recommend.

e: I could honestly flood this thread with images and videos of it, I went on hundreds of lovely walks there. Also, great place to birdwatch if that's up your alley, have seen some incredible birds there even though that's not my thing. Adorable watching all the sweet early morning hobbyistis walk around with their binoculars.

----------------

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 30, 2023

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

As you walk through Old Burial Hill from oldest graves to more recent, you can see headstone designs come in to and go out of fashion. As time passes and techniques and technology evolve/improve, headstones tended to get verbose. I'll read the tombstones so you don't have to! I've been meaning to do this for literally years, so now is as good a time as any to get started on it.

Another Atlantic view

The oldest graves have a skull design of some kind at the top. Humanlike/angel faces started to appear around 1735.

"Here lies the body of Mary Reed, Daughter of Mr Samuel and Mrs Mary Reed. Died January 14th 17(the original decade and year are eroded out and "\13" scratched in behind it in a much smaller and shallower font.)13, in the 18th year of her age." I know there is "no such thing as a guarantee in life" r/t what's going to happen and how long you'll live, but back then? There truly were zero safety features to save humans from ourselves while on the proverbial skyway gondola, weren't there? I can't help but think the majority of these people under like 60 died of something that is easily preventable or curable today. I'm sure some contrarian is cackling with glee and has a link to share that will disprove this idea, therefore making me feel better about it, so win/win if that happens.

This is a winged skull with a swirly knot thing over its head instead of an hourglass. "Here lies buried the body of Mr William Jones who died October (again with the October deaths) 17th, 1730 in his 36th year of his age."

Winged skull with crossbones over its head instead of a swirly ball or anything else, really. Are they codedly implying a life of piracy? "Here lies buried the body of Mrs Rebecca Greenleaf Died December the 3rd 1737 aged 45 years 25 days." Not much to go by there, we may never know.

In 1737, we see a human face with wings. This head also has what looks like a rolled wig style hairstyle. I could be wrong, they could just mean the angel had curly hair. "Here lies buried the body of Dr Benjamin Hills, who departed this life January 2nd, 1737 in the 30th year of his age."

"Here lies buried the body of Captain Ambrose James who departed this life November the 1st, 1747, aged 37 years 4 months and 11 days." In the background we can see the stone of Prudence from earlier with the winged skull and hourglass. If you zoom in you can see her last name is Whitwell, and is the wife of Rev William Whitwell from a previous post. She died 2/7/1773.

"Here lies buried the body of Mrs Abigail Hawkins wife of Mr John Hawkins Died April the 20th, 1751 in the 83rd year of her age."

Very to the point, sparse even, compared to the level of writing we're about to see in upcoming years. "Here lies buried the body of Joshua Orne, Esq. who died July 16, 1758, aged 87."

"This stone is erected in memory or Benjamin Glover who died May (blank) 1759, aged 19 months. Of Benjamin Glover, who died September 10th, 1769, aged 6 weeks. And of Johnathan Glover, who died September 20th, 1771, aged 5 months. The sons of Colonel Jonathan and Mrs Abigail Glover." I regarded this as an interesting stylistic choice for a face since I took it 7 years ago. It has now dawned on me after really reading what the marker says for the first time and typing it out, that the weird looking stylistic choice for a face is actually a crying baby. Sigh.

"Here lies buried the body of Mr Joseph Selman who departed this life November the 18th 1761 Aged 40 years and 2 months." This is pretty much the stock image people have in their head for "1700s gravestone".

A true skull and crossbones, in the right order even, none of this "small femurs crossed as a crest on top" stuff, what even is that. "In memory of Mrs Susanna Orne, wife to Mr Joshua Orne who departed this life on May 6, 1777 aged 28 years and 4 months.

Tho guilt and folly tremble over the dust
no life can charm no death affright the just
Tis ours, dear shade, to mourn thy (...)
(...)"

A human-faced angel, 1785. "In memory of Mrs Tabithy Jillings the relief of Mr Thomas Jillings but formerly the wife of Captain Jonathan Glover, from whom the present families of this name are descended - she died March 7th, 1785 aged 76 years." "The relief of" did not age well as a phrase, did it.

A human-faced angel, 1787. "This stone is set up in memory of Captain John Grush who departed this life Jan 9th 1787 aged 54 years and 2 months.

Human and sympathetic in
his disposition, hopsitable and be-
neficient in his life, a disciple
of Christ by profession and ex-
pressing the fullest dependance
on the atonement and intercession of
the mediator, he left a pleasing hope
in the breasts of his connexions &
friends that he sleeps in Jesus and that
whom the cheif shepherd shall appear he
shall receive a crown of glory that
fadeth not away"

Another pudgy-face middle age man looking angel. "In memory of Mrs Eunice Selmon, relief of Mr Samuel Selmon who died Feb 13th 1792, aged 57 years and 4 months.

In this our certain doom
that we must leave our friends
and numbered in the silent tomb
til Christ his summons sends?
Yes yes we surly must
and in a little time
Must lay our bodies down in dust
Oh (leaveth?) to return"

Yes, there's poop on his head. Please don't point it out, he's very self conscious, he'll notice eventually. "In memory of Mrs Lydia Lefavour, wife of Mr John Lefavour, who died April 2nd, 1793 aged 37 years and 10 months. Also Lydia, John, Thomas, and Mary, their children that died in infancy.

Death till the Resurrection tears and rends
Out of each other's arms, two parting friends
Consigned to drift in sleep profound
Till the last trumpets joyful sound."

1794 human faced angel that I couldn't get from any good angle except this one. "In memory of Mrs Elizabeth Fettyplace, wife of Edward Fettyplace, Esq., who died February 20th, 1794 aged 73 years and 5 months.
O death, thou ast conquered me,
I by they dart am slain.
But Christ has conquered thee,
And I shall rise again.

Allo 5 children of the above named
persons, William died October 9th, 1789
Aged 33 years. Hannah, wife of
Mr. John Dennis Died July 15th, 1778.
Aged 24 years. The other 3 died in infancy"

At the turn of the century to the 1800s, weeping willows, vases, and urns became common headstone designs. Later in the Victorian Era, the motifs changed to a handshake, doves, and a hand with the first finger pointed to heaven. I don't recall seeing anything like those, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Similar design vase and curtain motif, 1804 for the taller of the two, unreadable for the one on the right.

A mix of vase/urn and willow motifs, readable dates include 1804, 1812, 1814, 1822; with tiny wedge of Atlantic Ocean in background.

1807 Vase/urn and willow motifs

1824 Vase/urn and weeping willow motifs

There are always fun outliers in terms of design like this next group:

Sweet looking skull, too bad the text is in Klingon.

Angel with steampunk goggles was a century and a half ahead of his time

Twin angels, the only one of this kind I've seen. "Here lies interred the remains of Madam Elizabeth Russell, who departed this this life February the 4th, 1771, aged 50 (? 80?) years
Weep not for me my son most dear,
I am not dead, but sleeping here.
My debts are paid and my grave you see,
Wait but a while, you'll follow me.
The memory of the just is blessed.
The righteous that be (...)
Everlasting (...)"
Maybe her and her son are the angels at the top? They sound pretty close.

Some of the backsides of the tombstones show the marks from when they were removed from a larger piece.

This guy has a heck of a life story I bet. "Here lies the body of Mr George Carew of Barbadoes, late from Jamaica. He died August the 13th, 1750 aged 27 years."

Now this is just asking for trouble -or- Feed me your soft abdomen or crunchy facial bones, I hunger.

Two different types of sun motif:
One more detailed
"In memory of Mrs Elizabeth Tedder, the beloved wife of Mr Valintine Tedder, and daughter to Mr Sam and Mrs Sarah Dodd, who died October 4th, 1769, aged 33 years.

Naked as from the earth we came
and crept to life at first
we to the earth return again
and mingle with our dust
the dear delights we here injoy
and fondly call our own
are but short favours borrowed now
to be repayed anon"

One more minimalist
"In memory of Mrs Mary Bridgo wife of Mr George Bridgo who died July 14th, 1796 aged 32 years.

She took upon her the yoke of Christ and among
other practical lessons had eminently learned of
him, to be meek and lovely in heart

In memory of 4 of their children
Mary } {Sept 13th 1790} {22}
Mary } died {Aug 18th 1791 } age {22}
Hannah (?)} {Oct 7th 1795 (?)} {10}"

Thora fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 31, 2023

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

The background trees and the fog are like if Monet was a bit more realistic than impressionist, and I mean that in the best possible way.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Susanna Orne’s headstone has the same skull relief as the one in my OP that I google image searched. I wonder if the stones came from the same memorial mason?

feedmyleg posted:

I lived steps from the Green-Wood Cemetery gates in NYC for a few years and miss it dearly. I'm on the other side of Brooklyn now and am constantly making excuses to go down that way. Just miles and miles of incredible rolling hills and gorgeous scenery and beautiful graves and crypts and mausoleums going back to the days of the colonies (well, a few pre-US graves were moved here, at least). I would go on long strolls whenever I could manage. Just the best place in New York City, a perfect getaway to spooky nature in the middle of a metropolis.

Especially gorgeous on a foggy morning.

Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Sadly most of the cemeteries here in Belgium are ugly. People hate nature and want gravel paths and plastic flowers. My father once drew up the plans for a part of a cemetery as an architect, but much of it was never executed. He envisioned trees everywhere, but that was criticized because trees would make stains on tombstones.
Anyway, I do like a small cemetery close to our town, where storks build a nest every year in Jesus' thorny crown.