Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I don't have anything to contribute, but this is an excellent thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

stealie72 posted:

Sedlec Ossuary outside of Prague is the GOAT of this thread. It contains the bones of 40,000+ people used as decorative elements and just giant skull piles.

The crypt that is said to be the inspirarion for the Sedlec Ossuary can be found in Rome under the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. It is believed to consist of the bones from roughly 4000 people who died between 1500-1870, most of them Capuchin Friars. There are a few royals who were connected to the Capuchins buried there as well. I recall at least 2 of them being children aged below 10, who died from a disease. They are part of the very few in tact skeletons in the crypt.

When the friars arrived at the church they brought 300 carts containing the remains of deceased friars which were arranged in what resembles mosaic, inside the crypt. They started expanding it after running out of space in their cemetary, exhuming the oldest grave whenever a friar died.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Can we post our favorite fictional cemeteries? :)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

LochNessMonster posted:

The crypt that is said to be the inspirarion for the Sedlec Ossuary can be found in Rome under the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. It is believed to consist of the bones from roughly 4000 people who died between 1500-1870, most of them Capuchin Friars. There are a few royals who were connected to the Capuchins buried there as well. I recall at least 2 of them being children aged below 10, who died from a disease. They are part of the very few in tact skeletons in the crypt.

When the friars arrived at the church they brought 300 carts containing the remains of deceased friars which were arranged in what resembles mosaic, inside the crypt. They started expanding it after running out of space in their cemetary, exhuming the oldest grave whenever a friar died.

:sbahj: This is rad as gently caress. I know Rome has a lot of crypts and catacombs full of ancient skelebones, but I didn’t know this one existed. It’s incredible.

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
One of my favourite cemeteries I've visited was Okunoin Cemetery at Mount Koyasan in Japan.

It's listed as a UNESCO heritage site, and is high in the mountains, a trail running underneath an old growth forest lined with stone lanterns.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/okunoin-cemetery

The cemetery is old, established in 810AD, and contains thousands and thousands of graves

At night they light all the stone lanterns through it:

And as an added bonus, companies will make a grave whenever ideas fail, leading to strange things like this next to a 1200 year old stone pile:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

This looks like an animatronic theme park ride.
Dies Irae after all,
Dies Irae after all,
Dies Irae after all,
Dies, Dies Illa

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i bury meemaws for fun and profit so here's some stuff I thought was cool at work

my favorite tree ever (rip)

this is lilith, a.k.a crow. I started feeding her last year and now she brings her baby by and they get peanuts and dog food on the daily.

she waits by my car at the end of the day and usually comes by at lunch too. I'll spot her flying and cawwing from way down the road when I'm walking, she lands like 10 feet from me and then chills and snacks for a bit.

she'll rifle through people's truck beds for goodies and also follows me around the cemetery.

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Sarah Cenia posted:

this is lilith, a.k.a crow. I started feeding her last year and now she brings her baby by and they get peanuts and dog food on the daily.

she waits by my car at the end of the day and usually comes by at lunch too. I'll spot her flying and cawwing from way down the road when I'm walking, she lands like 10 feet from me and then chills and snacks for a bit.

she'll rifle through people's truck beds for goodies and also follows me around the cemetery.

:kimchi: I love corvids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

You Are A Werewolf posted:

:sbahj: This is rad as gently caress. I know Rome has a lot of crypts and catacombs full of ancient skelebones, but I didn’t know this one existed. It’s incredible.

The pictures honestly don’t do the crypt justice. It’s mindblowing. One of the rooms has arches made of pelvises and I think the royal children were nailed to a wall looking like bats.