Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
oh thqt reminds me they're playing GITS1 in a bunch of theaters here second week of November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

and they're calling the event SNOOZEFEST 2023

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 25, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My friend and I saw gits and Akira in theater and they ruled

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was about to talk about my favorite bits from GITS, but it turns out I was thinking of scenes out of Angel Cop.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Milo and POTUS posted:

so does the major not show up at all in 2. Where is she

the major 'died' at the end of the first movie and she ascended to the Net; one of the sub plots is that the Major's own split selves act completely independent of each other

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
as gits 1 and 2 are on youtube, i'll put em on as i do something equally boring to make a whole unit of "fun".

I also saw solid state society on the tube (not free) which reminded me

Khanstant posted:

Stand alone complex is the best ghost in the shell and it's not a close race

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Charles Bukowski posted:

My friend and I saw gits and Akira in theater and they ruled

Akira is okay I guess

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

OMFG FURRY posted:

the major 'died' at the end of the first movie and she ascended to the Net; one of the sub plots is that the Major's own split selves act completely independent of each other

Oh for some reason I thought it was a followeup to gits 2 gig. Now I have absolutely no idea where they stand on the timeline!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

happyhippy posted:

GitS is the only manga I ever bought as its soo good, and I loving hate anime.

Did you buy it for the totally out of nowhere hardcore lesbian sex scene? Because that's the thing that stands out the most for me about the manga.

Masamune Shiro has a whole thing where he ends up making very elaborate settings, but he's not really great at making a plot to follow, he just wants to draw hot ladies and futuristic military gear, and adaptations of his work end up adding a lot of depth and philosophical themes that weren't there to begin with.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
IMO it’s kinda depressing that we’re getting close to 2029, but the closest we’ve gotten to cyberization is having a smartphone attached to our hands.

I liked the first movie a lot, but never got around to watching the second one. SAC was weird and I only saw it when I was super tired late at night and it was on Adult Swim. I thought it was kinda creepy that Major was horny for her ancient boss.

I also watched Akira once when I was really stoned and it was a worse experience than watching Nightbreed when home alone late at night as a teenager when I was also really stoned.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ars Arcanum posted:

I thought it was kinda creepy that Major was horny for her ancient boss.

this didnt happen lol

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Milo and POTUS posted:

this didnt happen lol

I’ll concede because I never rewatched the show and again, I was generally pretty tired when I did have it on, so I might be misremembering. But I feel like one of the few memories I have included an episode where she asked him if he wanted to do stuff with her and he shut her down in a relatively professional manner.

Also it was over a decade ago, but it was also part of why I stopped putting it on altogether. Maybe I dreamed it (I was in grad school and regularly had limited sleep/pulled all-nighters. I also hallucinated my cat, who was safe at home with my mom at the time, once when I hadn’t had enough healthy sleep).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can imagine there could've been a weird moment to give that impression. The Major in the original manga was a lot more playful, but the way that she's much more stoic in SAC makes playful comments seem more out of place.

There are also a few times when she uses sexuality as a weapon, which sometimes can be a bit weird.

Ars Arcanum posted:

IMO it’s kinda depressing that we’re getting close to 2029, but the closest we’ve gotten to cyberization is having a smartphone attached to our hands.

I think it's good actually that it seems like direct brain-computer information linkages may not be feasible any time soon, because a lot of Ghost in the Shell ends up being about how many terrible things can happen when your brain is directly accessible by computer.

For the most part, it seems like the general sci-fi idea of surgically implanting technology to give added functionality may be largely pointless because it's much more convenient to make things wearable or easily removable. On top of the medical risks of unnecessary surgery, modern medical technology especially would rather you didn't have random bits of metal in your body because then you can't get a CT scan.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just unzip their skin layer and see what's wrong under the hood.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I just watched Innocence for the first time and other than the yakuza raid scene it was pretty boring and there were too many birds in it. Oh, the convenience store scene was pretty good too.

e: I then watched the live action gits again and it was better than I remember.

Id rate them:
GitS original anime
GitS live action
GitS Innocence

maybe I just miss the spider tank (but I hate that they actually call it a "spider tank" in the live action)

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 30, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What about the throat singing?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Milo and POTUS posted:

this didnt happen lol

Maybe it was in one of those fansubs when the show first aired, where everything was horribly mistranslated

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ymgve posted:

Maybe it was in one of those fansubs when the show first aired, where everything was horribly mistranslated

lmao now that I can believe

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the reasons I think the anime is best is the music. Especially Yoko Kanno and Origa :rip:.

The original theme song being a mix of Russian, English, and Latin for a Japanese product seems like a real triumph of internationalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
the theme of innocence goes so hard