Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just change all her passwords real quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was talking to my mom earlier tonight and she mentioned getting a message from "social security" and that she tried to log into their website but the website said you can only log in during "business hours". Do I need to be concerned that she got phished or scammed or something, or does the actual social security website close down for weekends and nights?
Lots of parts of the Social Security website only run from 5:00 AM to 1:00 AM weekdays and shorter hours on weekends. Some web services are essentially implemented by duct taping modern webservers to ancient mainframes by having them teletype very quickly at interfaces originally intended for interactive operators on the phone helping people. Those get turned off overnight when batch processing stuff runs.

https://www.ssa.gov/myssa-static/rel_1.0/offHoursPopup.html

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm trying to figure something out for my mom regarding the ex-spouse benefit and I feel like I'm getting mixed signals as I search about. She's in her late 60s, has been drawing for a while but it's not all that much since she was self-employed for so long and I'm just kind of hoping I can get that increased for her. She's been divorced from her previous husband for about ~15 years after being married for at least 10, never remarried and he is older than 62. I feel like everything I've been able to find recently says that she should be able to get the ex-spouse benefit because everything uses the language of the ex-spouse having to be "eligible" (and something I found on the SSA blog said you can do so even if the ex hasn't retired), but when she called the SSA today they said no, he hasn't filed for benefits so no dice. Is that correct? Or is there a misunderstanding going on and she should call again to speak to someone else?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm trying to figure something out for my mom regarding the ex-spouse benefit and I feel like I'm getting mixed signals as I search about. She's in her late 60s, has been drawing for a while but it's not all that much since she was self-employed for so long and I'm just kind of hoping I can get that increased for her. She's been divorced from her previous husband for about ~15 years after being married for at least 10, never remarried and he is older than 62. I feel like everything I've been able to find recently says that she should be able to get the ex-spouse benefit because everything uses the language of the ex-spouse having to be "eligible" (and something I found on the SSA blog said you can do so even if the ex hasn't retired), but when she called the SSA today they said no, he hasn't filed for benefits so no dice. Is that correct? Or is there a misunderstanding going on and she should call again to speak to someone else?

They told you wrong. The term here is IEDS (Independently Entitled Divorced Spouse).

If she's at least 62, he's at least 62, and they've been divorced at least two years (after a marriage that lasted longer then 10 yrs + 1 day), and she's not entitled to a higher benefit on her own record*, she's entitled.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0300202100

Have her call and demand an appointment.

* (this means that his PIA (Primary Insurance Amount) has to be at least twice hers. If it's not, she gets more money just filing on her own record, since spousal benefit math starts at dividing it in half).

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GD_American posted:

They told you wrong. The term here is IEDS (Independently Entitled Divorced Spouse).

If she's at least 62, he's at least 62, and they've been divorced at least two years (after a marriage that lasted longer then 10 yrs + 1 day), and she's not entitled to a higher benefit on her own record*, she's entitled.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0300202100

Have her call and demand an appointment.

* (this means that his PIA (Primary Insurance Amount) has to be at least twice hers. If it's not, she gets more money just filing on her own record, since spousal benefit math starts at dividing it in half).

Thanks, I appreciate it - something felt wrong but I didn't want to have her keep calling with wait times being what they are if this was just poor understanding on my end. I'll talk to her soon about doing so and potentially setting up an appointment.