Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I don’t understand the rating scale. I don’t see my kid successfully performing SGA or ever living fully independently. I’m also not sure if they’d be assessed under 12.03, 12.05, 12.11 or 12.15 - do they decide on a criteria based on diagnoses and what happens when you have an alphabet soup of comorbidities?

I still have another year before I’ll help them apply, but would like to get the documentation squared away. They’re in a separate setting classroom and have a former classmate who had an initial denial at age 18. Knowing that kid for two years (and knowing he can’t be left unsupervised for more than an hour), I would’ve expected it to be a clear cut yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
How long before age 18 should I send it in? And do they consider any of the under 18 previously submitted info at age 18 redetermination (kid previously qualified when they were living with biofam, and kept benefits during foster care)?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
One birth parent is deceased, but I don’t believe there were any death benefits as I highly doubt that parent had enough years of legitimate income in the system (parent died before age 40 and was intermittently homeless). Plus that parent is not on their new birth certificate.

They had income qualified SSI up until adoption. DSS had been the payee while they were in foster care so I think any overages from the time it took to get it shut off were repaid.

I mostly want to get them set up with SSI as an adult so I can keep them on Medicaid. I know they’ll get a reduced benefit because I’ll still pay for most of their housing and food.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

GD_American posted:

Adoption does not terminate entitlement on a birth parent's record. Also, it's worth looking into, because if that person died earlier than retirement age, they needed fewer credits than normal to be insured for survivor benefits. You may be surprised.

Also, check the table on this page:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm

by number of ineligible children, they just mean "how many other kids in the household, who don't get SSI?" And earned income = wages and self-employment, unearned = a lot of things but mainly government type benefits such as Social Security/unemployment.

If it looks like your household is under the limit, try to apply for them as a kid. Even if it's borderline, make an appointment and get an official determination.

I actually don’t think biodad is on their original birth certificate, so that may complicate things.

I confirmed ineligibility when I called and talked through to get the address changed when I figured out correspondence was still being sent to DSS.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

GD_American posted:

I hate these cases. Here's how I work the evidence chain:

1. Birth certificate or numident (our record).
2. Married to the mom (presumption of paternity largely guided by state law)
3. Court paperwork (paternity suit, child support)
4. DNA (goes by state law, usually matrilineal/family tests won't cut it)
5. Written acknowledgement of paternity (did he file for disability and list the kid? Put the kid on his insurance at work? Write a letter acknowledging paternity in some way?)

Make an appointment and file and make them go through the steps. You might be surprised. Worst that happens is a no.

Eh,
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Unlikely, and I wouldn’t have any of that anyway

Biodad had a lot of substance issues (mostly opioids) and was periodically incarcerated, I really doubt he did much above the table work. It doesn’t seem worth the effort to ask.