Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
A band known as Fall Out Boy, which, to the best of my knowledge, has not been culturally relevant in 20 years released an "Updated" version of "We Didn't Start the Fire", which was extremely widely panned with such objective sentiment such as "bad" and "unnecessary" and whatever constituency the band had is like 40 now.

Or to illustrate photographically, this guy:

Is now this guy:

I know exactly zero people that desire to listen to this abomination, yet, it is being played on Sirius XM Hits 1 and the local top 40 station constantly.

Can someone explain this to me? Is there like a shadowy music cartel that decides to force this and other bad songs on us constantly? There has to be some explination because it is literally unbelievable that an actual real person that exists has had the thought "I wish I heard this song more often!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

nobody knows

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i think it's a series of tubes, op

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Big Music is behind every musical decision. It is headed by a shadowy. short figure by the name of Swann, who heads Death Records.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Radio works by transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves. The radio signal is an electronic current moving back and forth very quickly. A transmitter radiates this field outward via an antenna; a receiver then picks up the field and translates it to the sounds heard through the radio.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the only bands youve ever heard of are all marketable products, calculated by a company to make money (for the company)

fall out boy at this point is a brand owned by a company
the record station is owned by a company
the radiowaves are owned by a company

its really not complicated. payola never went away.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Genesplicer posted:

Big Music is behind every musical decision. It is headed by a shadowy. short figure by the name of Swann, who heads Death Records.

Big Music has better taste than every indie music liker ever. We should go back to letting corporations tell us what to listen to imo.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Is there like a shadowy music cartel that decides to force this and other bad songs on us constantly?

yes https://youtu.be/4AySoWKO-dI?si=S3bKQF_sSiPkmN_O

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

unironically looking forward to "human music"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jWdeRKvvk

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

to summarize

you have an electronic voice box that makes your sounds electricity, and then there is also an electronic ear that receives the sounds and barfs the noise onto you through a speaker

i am very smart

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

GolfHole posted:

payola never went away.

It's this op

Does anyone remember that all female rock band recently who was getting a lot of poo poo because people were saying they were essentially an astroturfed band with lots of industry connections? Not sure how much truth there was to it but I think Fasano did a video on them.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sound is just vibrations through a medium, man.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

we didnt rip a fart!
it was always ripping since the rear end been smelling!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

pencilhands posted:

we didnt rip a fart!
it was always ripping since the rear end been smelling!

Your posts and threads are worse than those of Three Olives OP

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I was at the Walmart the other day and on the radio they had the Fatboy Slim song Praise You except it was a kind of r&b cover and it was really bad. Not as bad as the Eiffel 65 Blue cover, but still. So I am going to blame it all on something called Clear channel/iheartradio. I hope this answers some of your questions sir . Have a blessed day.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

you should call the cops on his band op, perhasp post about it on next door.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I was at the Walmart the other day and on the radio they had the Fatboy Slim song Praise You except it was a kind of r&b cover and it was really bad. Not as bad as the Eiffel 65 Blue cover, but still. So I am going to blame it all on something called Clear channel/iheartradio. I hope this answers some of your questions sir . Have a blessed day.

i never realized how much of this guys stuff is all god jesus stuff

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I think I'd rather listen to fall out boy over imagine dragons but if those were my only two choices I'd rather go deaf

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Three Olives posted:

Is there like a shadowy music cartel that decides to force this and other bad songs on us constantly?

yes? it always has been to some extent but with corporate consolidation and automated playlists that's now the case more than ever.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
your indignation has been noted, OP.

it will be used by the cheapest algorithm to make you listen to this song more and more, because it makes you pissed off enough to press buttons during your doomscrolling.

hopefully, it will make more people to have a similar reaction and make similar actions and choices.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my dad is really into radio but its the kind where he stays up till 4 in the morning to try to talk to to people broadcasting from a tiny little rock in the ocean that they've declared to be a country "for radio purposes", having a 30-second conversation about signal strength and local weather, and then waiting for those guys to send him a postcard in the mail confirming that he talked to them

because of this hobby my dad knows king abdullah ii of jordan. or at least has had a 30-second conversation with him about signal strength and local weather.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The radio is making your bricks cummy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the best radio station is THE Q

https://www.theq.fm/live/

i have their sticker on my coffee tumbler and motorcycle

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m a brick and I was masoned poorly

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

my dad is really into radio but its the kind where he stays up till 4 in the morning to try to talk to to people broadcasting from a tiny little rock in the ocean that they've declared to be a country "for radio purposes", having a 30-second conversation about signal strength and local weather, and then waiting for those guys to send him a postcard in the mail confirming that he talked to them

because of this hobby my dad knows king abdullah ii of jordan. or at least has had a 30-second conversation with him about signal strength and local weather.

HAM guys are cool IMO. A very niche but fascinating hobby. Also, potentially useful in the End Times.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Earwicker posted:

My dad got his ham license after he retired and was really into it for a bit too. He was a career engineer and I guess if your into that kind of technical stuff it's pretty drat cool, though I think he got bored with it after a few years.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

redshirt posted:

HAM guys are cool IMO. A very niche but fascinating hobby. Also, potentially useful in the End Times.

And they have a giant-assed antenna attached to their house that you never mention or acknowledge unless you want to lose an hour of your day hearing all about it.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

the best radio station is THE Q

https://www.theq.fm/live/

i have their sticker on my coffee tumbler and motorcycle

this is some weak poo poo, a single Q? shameful

you gotta listen to DOUBLE Q

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm pretty sure someone can op, the real question is, will they?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I haven’t listened to the radio in probably 20 years OP.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Three Olives posted:

A band known as Fall Out Boy, which, to the best of my knowledge, has not been culturally relevant in 20 years released an "Updated" version of "We Didn't Start the Fire", which was extremely widely panned with such objective sentiment such as "bad" and "unnecessary" and whatever constituency the band had is like 40 now.

Or to illustrate photographically, this guy:

Is now this guy:

I know exactly zero people that desire to listen to this abomination, yet, it is being played on Sirius XM Hits 1 and the local top 40 station constantly.

Can someone explain this to me? Is there like a shadowy music cartel that decides to force this and other bad songs on us constantly? There has to be some explination because it is literally unbelievable that an actual real person that exists has had the thought "I wish I heard this song more often!".

It's music for people that actually go to high school reunions.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still listen to radio. It's the only way I can get most Red Sox games.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Payola is when a record label pays a radio station to play a song a bunch, hoping that will make people think it's popular, hoping that that will boost sales by enough to more than make up for the cost. It was made illegal in the 60s, then went through a variety of loopholes ('record company pays a 3rd party promotor, who pays the radio station' or 'record company pays a station program director instead of a DJ') followed by the FCC going 'still illegal' and issuing fines.

The cynical version of Fall Out Boy getting airtime even though everyone hates it is that it is from another loophole that hasn't gotten caught yet.

The less cynical version is that ClearChannel has siloed a bunch of what-gets-played decisions off to a small group of closely monitored people so that they have a good defense against accusations of payola, and at least some of those people have terrible taste and actually like Fall Out Boy and think it should get played. Nobody else can overrule them because that'd break the anti-payola wall, and ClearChannel owns all the radio stations, so it shows up everywhere.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
Fall Out Boy still releases albums and has popularity OP. Granted, they are likely past their peak level of fame but regardless of this they are still relevant in the music scene and usually release a popular single or two every couple of years in addition to their albums. Instead of asking about how radio works you should either accept that you aren't into popular music enough to ever be able to listen to the radio and therefore any education on this is completely wasted, or you should start listening to pop music so that you have baseline level understanding about 'whos who' so that you can actually get your questions answered hth

edit: needed to add that their cover of that billy joel song absolutely sucks and they only got airtime for it because they are known for releasing popular singles

sex excellence fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 23, 2023

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm really loving sick
Of Beck and 311
And Marylin Manson
I wish someone would break his loving neck

And what about Bush
And lame-rear end Oasis?
Hey, talk about pretentious
Why don't they just blow England off the map?

Every now and then
I turn it on again
But it's plain to see that
The radio still sucks

Every now and then
I turn it on again
But it's plain to see that
The radio still sucks!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Radiowaves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. So they're like fancy light you can't perceive.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I only listen to 70s on 7, The Bridge and Yacht Rock Radio.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zep Set every 10PM on 102.9, WBLM

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

A Strange Aeon posted:

ataris lyrics

pretty funny that they ended up having a huge radio hit with a cover of a Don Henley song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i was a kid there was a radio station at the local community college that played all kinds of cool experimental poo poo. KFJC at foothill college. looks like they still exist!