Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Magnets, op. And nobody know how those devil's implements work.

:iiam: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Seaniqua posted:

pretty funny that they ended up having a huge radio hit with a cover of a Don Henley song

Hah, I always thought they were covering a NOFX song. But I think I got it mixed up with Propaghandi covering Ska Sucks.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:five: thread delivers.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Earwicker posted:

my dad is really into radio but its the kind where he stays up till 4 in the morning to try to talk to to people broadcasting from a tiny little rock in the ocean that they've declared to be a country "for radio purposes", having a 30-second conversation about signal strength and local weather, and then waiting for those guys to send him a postcard in the mail confirming that he talked to them

because of this hobby my dad knows king abdullah ii of jordan. or at least has had a 30-second conversation with him about signal strength and local weather.

Your dad is aiding and abetting atrocities in some way. I’ll prove it soon.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I only listen to Henry Rollins' programme on KCRW.
It's good.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can’t explain it because you’re simply Too Old

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry Benny Goodman isn’t playing

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

In a visual medium -

https://youtu.be/LMxate9gegg?si=YbHHMbd_K3kHsTcd

I somehow stumbled upon this series last summer and it was great watching before bed for its real world demonstrations and low budget feel.

Plus the underlying technology for most hasn’t changed much so it’s still very good. And the history lessons are quite interesting as well.

Won’t turn down an excuse to post ‘em

Cheerio, mate

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was a college DJ for 3 years with a twice a week, 3 hour show, and it was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. For those 6 hours of air time I probably spent another 10 hours or so listening to new or old music to put together the next set list. This was long enough ago that it was about 85% records, and only the newest music came on CD, so just listening to music was time consuming. This was not only necessary because I liked to put a good show together, but I had to listen to each song to ensure there was no profanity. And in fact one time I had to go through an FCC review because some old fart made an official complaint that he heard a profanity in Jane's Addiction "Been Caught Stealing". Editor's note: There was no profanity.

One of the most exciting things though was the Emergency Broadcast signal. We had a dedicated piece of equipment for it, and when it went off in the studio, you had to engage your alert within 30 seconds.

Every show was busy busy.

A little behind the scenes from the World of Radio.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I went to a fall out boy concert a few months ago and it was really good. Sorry about all you olds, I think they still have a classical music station broadcasting that might be more your speed?

The cover does suck and they didn’t play it though.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
when i was a kid i listened to insane fire and brimstone preachers on shortwave, it was sick. they're still doing it too

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Bonzo posted:

It's music for people that actually go to high school reunions.

I was gonna type a post but thank you for saving me the trouble and conveying the same sentiment so succinctly.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Your dad is aiding and abetting atrocities in some way. I’ll prove it soon.

uh.. what?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Cyks posted:

I went to a fall out boy concert a few months ago and it was really good. Sorry about all you olds, I think they still have a classical music station broadcasting that might be more your speed?

Sorry about your poo poo taste in music

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Saalkin posted:

Sorry about your poo poo taste in music

See, even this guy who admits to having terrible taste in music by this very artist says the song is bad, yet, it is played on the radio all the time.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

classical music owns actually

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

R.L. Stine posted:

classical music owns actually

My cities' symphony filed for bankruptcy this year :(

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

EorayMel posted:

Your posts and threads are worse than those of Three Olives OP

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Seaniqua posted:

pretty funny that they ended up having a huge radio hit with a cover of a Don Henley song

*a cover of a lovely Don Henley song

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is a tiny band inside the box that is playing all the songs

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tehslime posted:

thats just redundancy. the phrase "a don henley song" already communicates that its lovely.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Saalkin posted:

My cities' symphony filed for bankruptcy this year :(

l'orchestre du centre national des arts d'ottawa is doing sibelius's symphony no. 3 in november and i wanna get tickets bad

R.L. Stine fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 24, 2023

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Etymology (English: radio-)

From Latin radius (ray)

Etymology (Latin: radius)

Of uncertain origin. Some connect it with rādīx and rāmus. Tucker suggests Proto-Indo-European *neredʰ- (“extend forth, rise, outward”) akin to Sanskrit वर्धते (vardhate, “rise, grow”), or from Ancient Greek ἄρδις (árdis, “sharp point”).[1] May ultimately be from Proto-Indo-European *reh₁t- (“bar, beam, stem”).

I hope this is what you're looking for op

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

tehslime posted:

Oh man, they changed the band sticker from Deadhead which conjures up the 60s to a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac??

That's like Megadeth changing the DK Police Truck lyrics from "the left newspapers might whine a bit / but the guys at the station they don't give a poo poo" to "the last newspapers" which pointlessly depoliticizes the song.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

redshirt posted:

I was a college DJ for 3 years with a twice a week, 3 hour show, and it was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. For those 6 hours of air time I probably spent another 10 hours or so listening to new or old music to put together the next set list. This was long enough ago that it was about 85% records, and only the newest music came on CD, so just listening to music was time consuming. This was not only necessary because I liked to put a good show together, but I had to listen to each song to ensure there was no profanity. And in fact one time I had to go through an FCC review because some old fart made an official complaint that he heard a profanity in Jane's Addiction "Been Caught Stealing". Editor's note: There was no profanity.

One of the most exciting things though was the Emergency Broadcast signal. We had a dedicated piece of equipment for it, and when it went off in the studio, you had to engage your alert within 30 seconds.

Every show was busy busy.

A little behind the scenes from the World of Radio.

I did office/engineering work for KPFK radio in Los Angeles for a few years back in the 80s. Nothing spectacular, just routine stuff like prepping the booth, setting up tape reels, cataloging and storing same. The only cool thing was once I got to go up to the mountain to assist the real engineer with some work on the transmitter/antenna. KPFK has the strongest signal west of the Mississippi river, at 100,000 watts. When we went into the shed, it was amazing. It was brightly lit by fluorescent lights, all of which were just taped to the walls. Just the bare bulbs, no fixtures. The power coming off the antenna is so strong that it makes the lights glow, like a Tesla coil. After a few minutes the engineer said "You don't have a pacemaker, do you? I should have asked earlier. This energy will screw with pacemakers!" I assured him that I did not, and he was a bit relieved.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Yep, high powered radio masts are Wutang and can arc to any conductive ground nearby while modulating bad public radio the entire time its cooking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9UO9tn4MpI

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Did anyone consult Jon Lovitz? I didn't read the thread.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
The Radio : Things could be worse, you know.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cyks posted:

the people listening to fall out boy are also Olds at this point

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Magic, in short.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

I did office/engineering work for KPFK radio in Los Angeles for a few years back in the 80s. Nothing spectacular, just routine stuff like prepping the booth, setting up tape reels, cataloging and storing same. The only cool thing was once I got to go up to the mountain to assist the real engineer with some work on the transmitter/antenna. KPFK has the strongest signal west of the Mississippi river, at 100,000 watts. When we went into the shed, it was amazing. It was brightly lit by fluorescent lights, all of which were just taped to the walls. Just the bare bulbs, no fixtures. The power coming off the antenna is so strong that it makes the lights glow, like a Tesla coil. After a few minutes the engineer said "You don't have a pacemaker, do you? I should have asked earlier. This energy will screw with pacemakers!" I assured him that I did not, and he was a bit relieved.

Ah, the good old days: Safety as an afterthought.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Imagine complaining that the radio is playing songs that only people who can't work the internet or save some music onto they're phone are into. You've got boomer whinging skills op but you're not accepting that you're a boomer.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Down down dubiliico round

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Imagine complaining that the radio is playing songs that only people who can't work the internet or save some music onto they're phone are into. You've got boomer whinging skills op but you're not accepting that you're a boomer.

I like mashing the buttons on my giant radio screen.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sugar were going down swinging

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Another one in the culpit

A lonely dark cockpit pulling and swinging

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
They should make Spotify channels that have different thematically related podcasts scheduled for specific times so I can just put it in and not worry about looking for anything. I could know that a specific hour podcast is at a specific time if I really want to listen to it. And in between they can play some music, maybe stuff that recently went big on "the charts" so I can keep up to date with music.

I think this could be big.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
P sure they molested someone

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I think radio is that music you hear in ubers and grocery stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

They should make Spotify channels that have different thematically related podcasts scheduled for specific times so I can just put it in and not worry about looking for anything. I could know that a specific hour podcast is at a specific time if I really want to listen to it. And in between they can play some music, maybe stuff that recently went big on "the charts" so I can keep up to date with music.

I actually have Carplay, and a Spotify subscription with Spotify controlled playlists setup, also YouTube Music because it is bundled with YouTube Premium.

There is just something extremely satisfying about hitting the radio button on my car and mashing at giant Sirius XM station logos until I find something acceptable.