Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
The S.O.S. Brigade. If that's too long, call it SOS or SOS Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The Arm-y. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Einander posted:

Goddamn, I’m throwing my vote behind this one.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Einander posted:

I have to support this one as well, because it's about the highest level of wit we can expect from Yajirobe here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Einander posted:

:patriot:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Einander posted:

:bandwagon:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That fresh NG boss fight really made Artix's point, oof. I think shields regenerating at fixed health percentages would have been better (with an upgrade stopping it); similar effect but Yajirobe has a partial fisting elemental charge when they go up again.

Einander posted:

gently caress dammit this is good now and will become cringe 3 videos in, it's :perfect: for this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Einander posted:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This game wears its Persona inspirations on its sleeves: social links, specific in-game deadlines, puzzles ripped straight from Persona 5, a god-like deity advising you to strengthen your bonds, and an in-game meter that seems to demonstrate how far you are into the narrative.

Also, since this was brought up in commentary, if these kids are in Japan, they can live by themselves: a common and convenient trope in anime, but a rare yet real thing in Japan.

According to this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6177267/, on figure 3, five percent from the 15-19 age group live alone. (Though who knows how many of that is mostly aged 18-19; I found the source if anyone wants to do a data analysis for 2023: https://www.ipss.go.jp/p-info/e/psj2023/PSJ2023.asp)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

They really should've picked any other name than The Stone for their mcguffin.
Anything else.

Also yeah, joining the Arm-y bandwagon.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Glad people enjoy the terrible pun!

Cooked Auto posted:

They really should've picked any other name than The Stone for their mcguffin.
Anything else.

Also yeah, joining the Arm-y bandwagon.

I'm just waiting to discover that actually the protagonist had the Stone all along as part of some clever plan of Lux's, and that it's actually what's taking the form of the energy arm. That's why Yajirobe has that default weapon! Because the Sword is in the Stone, you see.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'm just glad Chani's "I am suddenly super jealous of my buddy and am going to bitch about it because that was a thing that happened in Persona 3 and 5 and maybe 4 I'm not sure right now" arc ended as quick as it began.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Einander posted:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 4: The Toothpaste Conversation :siren:

Being an idol, Yuna has had extensive practice making banal small talk with weirdos at meet and greets. But how will she handle the one and only Tentacle Boy?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The sparkling water that the train sells being called "Touch of Blood" has a lot of "Liquid Death" energy, which is, as far as I can tell, an actual brand of sparkling water.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So, the social links realistically get too apprehensive about the metagame late minute dungeon diving and will refuse to hang out because of that anxiety(?) I guess that is innovation...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Flair posted:

So, the social links realistically get too apprehensive about the metagame late minute dungeon diving and will refuse to hang out because of that anxiety(?) I guess that is innovation...
Persona does that already though. At least in 4 and 5 there are some days where your Social Links should be available according to their schedules, but if you haven't done the dungeon yet they'll instead say "Hey shouldn't we be doing the dungeon" and not be an option for hanging out.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Chani is growing on me. He may be a doofus horndog, but at least he seems supportive of Yajirobe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Maigius posted:

Chani is growing on me. He may be a doofus horndog, but at least he seems supportive of Yajirobe.

Like a lot of the Persona-style Best Friend archetype characters (looking at you Yosuke and Ryoji), Chani also puts his worst foot forward immediately and then slowly works his butt off to become an "acceptable" character over time.

Ryouta from Tokyo Xanadu would also count if not for the fact that he's neither relevant to the plot or gameplay in any way and also doesn't really get a (believable) redemption arc.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 5: Cloud Computing :siren:

We're heading for the first proper dungeon today, which means we get to learn what Eternights considers a "puzzle".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno if this counts as a "hot take" or not, but I actually hated the rhythm minigame in FF7R. Yeah, it had a lot of flash and style, but in a way that made it kinda hard for me to tell what the game wanted me to do. I'll admit I'm not great at rhythm games to start with, so I missed a few prompts just because I couldn't tell what they were or when they were coming up until it was too late. Just give me button icons moving linearly and predictably across the screen dammit!

On topic, I'm sure adopting a half-zombified child will cause no problems whatsoever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I dunno if this counts as a "hot take" or not, but I actually hated the rhythm minigame in FF7R. Yeah, it had a lot of flash and style, but in a way that made it kinda hard for me to tell what the game wanted me to do. I'll admit I'm not great at rhythm games to start with, so I missed a few prompts just because I couldn't tell what they were or when they were coming up until it was too late. Just give me button icons moving linearly and predictably across the screen dammit!

On topic, I'm sure adopting a half-zombified child will cause no problems whatsoever.

Yeah, 7R's dance minigame is clearly a cutscene that they decided to make playable and didn't actually do it that good of a job at it. It's still one of the best sequences in the game though.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So what's the betting odds on that child surviving the rest of that cutscene at the end of the last video?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I really enjoy that Chani said "See, Yuna? Not everybody died!" both 1) because this provides an opportunity for him to be wrong about that, and 2) because that's what he should be implying but not in those words because saying it out loud like that will probably just make her feel worse. He is just so bad at this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Look, if the apocaplyse happened and the only four people who survived were you, your unlucky-with-love best friend, a scientist helping you survive and Olivia Rodrigo, would you act 100% normal?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Love how they didn't even change it to legally distinct Twitter for those screens. It just says 'Pinned Tweet' and all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geemer posted:

Love how they didn't even change it to legally distinct Twitter for those screens. It just says 'Pinned Tweet' and all.

Twitter is literally no longer Twitter anymore thanks the world's richest imbecile, so it's fair game to rip that poo poo off wholecloth now if you feel so inclined :v:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Why are they taking Chani with them into dungeons? Yuna, sure, she can heal and set stuff on fire, but Chani's only use is upgrading social stats for Yajirobe. He has no way of protecting himself if one of the zombies decided to check out those non-glowing people.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

He has no way of protecting himself if one of the zombies decided to check out those non-glowing people.

I think you answered your own question.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the glowing hologram lady upgraded him with combat stat buffs for Yajirobe. Artix doesn't seem to be very interested in using them though, which is probably caused by the mana scarcity issue he mentioned in one of the earlier videos.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 6: Breaking Free :siren:

For as much as we rag on it, sometimes the game does manage to pull it all together and make a sequence work. This is one of those times. It's...one of the only times, but that's a topic for another day.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Once again, we return to various text transitions that could have been replaced with 1-5 second in-game animation.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That cutscene probably has the most stuff happening so far. Which says a lot I feel. :v:

It also feels... misplaced. It has the air of an endgame cutscene, with all the music and everything. Or something you kind of do an instant "End of chapter 1" fade out. Or after the landing. The whole "I can't sleep" part, would, in any other game, would be a perfect chapter opener, but here things trundles along until the next chapter break happens.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
loving "white essence". I bet the game called it that on purpose.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I appreciate that Argate said exactly what I was thinking at the end of the video.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

[Fart]

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Just finished the 4th episode, and the idea of the scavenging missions honestly drives me nuts. The fact that these dinguses are going out for an entire evening to grab one singular item at a time is frustrating, when there's honestly quite a few things you wouldn't mind having. For example, if the train is missing towels, maybe the pillows also wouldn't be amiss? It's just ughhhh.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 7: The Power of SCIENCE! :siren:

In which we meet our next two party members, an arrangement that we will surely not regret in the days to come.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sia ended up being my favorite. Kira Buckland does a great job with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, just what we need in our not-Persona. A not-Little Fears segment.
Or that's what made me think of that 'stealth' segment at least.

Also, the Totem.