Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Episode 6 was indeed cute and kind of feel-good with its scene. Definitely pulled off well.

Sia's screenshake and speed lines in her introducing herself seriously made me nauseated. My eyes did NOT like that effect.

Ok, so I know they were doing the reverse of the typical 'both characters fall somewhere and the guy's hand ends up on the girl's tits'. But in that scene, I couldn't help but think about how much that'd hurt to have someone land on his balls with any amount of falling force. It kind of took me out of the dumb scene immediately, even beyond the dumb premise itself.

The monster goop "puzzle" thing is so dumb, that does not look like an intentional solution.

The cutscene where Yajirobe just gets clubbed by the boss is really funny to me, because they really didn't make it look natural at all. He's just standing there, and then the thing clubs him. It made me laugh.

Is it me, or does Min get like, all the special art? I swear she's had more than Yuna by this point, and she just joined us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yuna's are all in her S-link, I think every single one of her excursions get one. :v: Plus, she had the locker one in the intro and the one where we walk in on her. Sia...doesn't really get any? Not that I remember, anyway.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am bit confused. Did Yuna destroying the core from last episode cause significant damage to the bus that it no longer work and Aria's drone disappeared. I feel like we are missing a few scenes, and I am not just taking about the scenes of animation.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, we had to actively talk to Yuna to get her heart rating up.

Min shows up and her heart rating just explodes upwards.

How fast is Sia's heart rating going to go up?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"God it would take so little to make this game and 8 out of 10 instead of a 6 out of 10."

"Yep."

"Yep."

- Artix, Argate and Crow on Enternights, 2023

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 8: Feel the Burn! :siren:

Our boy may have been a little uh...let's call it "inspired" by FF7R. Call it a hunch.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Through the power of being the protagonist, Yajirobe finds himself in an anime harem.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It's important to not let your white essence build up too much.
:pervert:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I don't know why, but this episode was particularly troublesome for me. It just felt so insubstantial.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Keldulas posted:

I don't know why, but this episode was particularly troublesome for me. It just felt so insubstantial.

Sia and Min are the two worst characters in the game by a wide stretch. The game really loses a step when its forced to focus on them because Sia's terribly one-note and Min... has a lot of issues that we'll be seeing in the next few videos, none of which make her a compelling character.

The good news is, they are both immediately blown out of the water by the arrival of Romance Candidate #4. So keep hope alive.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 9: Help me, Step-Yajirobe! :siren:

There are at least two scenes in this video that are blatantly someone's fetish. See if you can spot them all!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Artix posted:

There are at least two scenes in this video that are blatantly someone's fetish. See if you can spot them all!

I swear I see four

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What... what was going on in the latter half of that Min Rank 3 Link? The fetish part, sure, whatever, but the conversations afterwards are completely incomprehensible. It's like three ranks of her Social Link collided and we're seeing the aftermath.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well, I can definitely say that this episode didn't feel insubstantial.

Commander Keene posted:

What... what was going on in the latter half of that Min Rank 3 Link? The fetish part, sure, whatever, but the conversations afterwards are completely incomprehensible. It's like three ranks of her Social Link collided and we're seeing the aftermath.

Emptyquote! Cause really, what?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It felt like they were loading the wrong text strings, so if there's ever a scene where Yuna is supposed to talk about school and instead screams "Why the hell are you covered in spit and chemical burns???", we'll know what happened.

Also what the gently caress, that scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You know how Stephen King said he had no memory of writing Cujo because he was rip loving drunk for most of the early the 80s? Similar story, I don't remember a loving thing that happens in the next like two or three videos aside from the spitting scene. Not because I'm drunk, but because this game is the equivalent of fat through a goose, it's not even memorably stupid.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Belated thought about the butterfly guy scene last episode: I'm really hoping that butterfly guy is somehow Umbra, because then that means the "brother" is Lux. Just adds another great layer to Yajirobe getting catfished by a god to be their minion.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 10: The Ballcycle :siren:

In which we discover that our dear developer has definitely been playing too much FF7.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They might have also played too much Ultrakill.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Why is it called a Ballcycle? I don't see a ball; it just looks like a motorcycle.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The original idea was probably having magnetic levitating orbs instead of wheels, but then they he couldn't find an asset to flip for it and went with a wheeled one instead, without changing the script.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Min seems to be surprisingly okay with a plan that involves her being strapped to the front of a train about to ram into a wall.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloacamazing! posted:

Min seems to be surprisingly okay with a plan that involves her being strapped to the front of a train about to ram into a wall.

Considering everything we have found out about her in the recent videos I am pretty sure some part of her is excited about the idea.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Considering everything we have found out about her in the recent videos I am pretty sure some part of her is excited about the idea.

"Min is lowkey like far and away the loving horinest member of this entire crew" - Artix

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The dancing thing was even funnier than when it was just Yuna, holy poo poo.

Now that we're back to a full party, them running around remains massively distracting in a fight.

The entire ballcycle section was utterly hilarious to me, the animation for failure just looks so funny, and it's fun to me how they basically just added a battletoads esque instant failure section.

Of all the things to peer pressure someone into, being the front end of a battering ram is a new one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 11: Team 11? No, Team 1 1! :siren:

Min offers up her uh...let's politely call it "tragic" backstory and I gotta say, I'm really starting to feel Team Train.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
It does feel weird that Chani is not more involved in the plot. Chani seems to have gone through an unseen (or rather underdeveloped) arc of realizing and accepting that he is just a minor character in a group of more capable people.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Flair posted:

more capable people.

This feels like a stretch. :v:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

This feels like a stretch. :v:

Is it? So far, they provide something to the fights, like healing, shields, gadgets, destroying the cores, and the means of actually defeating the monsters. Outside of fighting, Chani has not demonstrated much else; the others can run or is really good with computers. Chani is just a character who is there at this point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

With how things are written they feel less capable and more just people with random powers that they use.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also without spoiling things too much, Party Member #4 is basically "What if Chani was relevant to the plot and gameplay?" To the point where he feels like a mulligan on Chani's whole character and we've come to suspect that the writer the one dude who was behind this game hired on during the last few months of production was brought in purely to scriptdoctor said character because he literally feels like he was handled by a completely different writer than the one who tackled everyone else, the jump in quality is THAT jarring.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 12: Prepare for Interlocking :siren:

Act 4 introduces our final new party member and skips over several scenes that I'm sure aren't that important, don't worry about that whole "budget" thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This is straight up the best part of the game. Min gets strapped to the front of the train and slammed chest-first into a wall, and then Yohan shows up and clowns all of these fools in the characterization department in just three lines of dialog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Eternights explains to you that they ran out of money.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh man, they really must've had someone breathe down their necks about an upcoming deadline at this point during development.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am surprised that Sia did not also admit to dreaming about the protagonist, though perhaps the scene is tied to what rank everyone is at the time of the scene.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Counterpoint: Min would fantasize about the protagonist even if he had ignored her for the entirety of the game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 13: Tentacle MAN :siren:

Now that we've reached the final free time section, it's time to start knocking these links out for good, and first up is our dear idol. She is...surprisingly straightforward and down with all of this? That might be a reflection of the rest of the party, though...

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 4, 2023

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You really weren't kidding when you said Yohan had actual writing, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geemer posted:

You really weren't kidding when you said Yohan had actual writing, huh?

It honestly catches you off guard, doesn't it?