Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Yuna has never heard about the Streisand effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Flair posted:

Yuna has never heard about the Streisand effect

eh, maybe she'll get lucky and when the world comes back, the news station affected will try and fail to ditch the recording so fast it ends up working in her favor. or the signal for the station won't come on until after they've already thrown the tape out unwatched.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Catching up since I fell behind.

Episode 11:

I actually liked the Bear Clock blackmail. That was a somewhat cute-funny scene.

When Min is just repeatedly being used to break a barrier, that animation of hers just restarting to fire pellets honestly looks really bad. They gave her too much motion, so the repetition makes it look really weird.

Chani's disappearance from the story is also weird to me considering how small the recurring cast is. I can sort of get the idea of a mostly normal person being stuck in the midst of this, but they have him so absent that the idea of that doesn't really work.

And yeah, I was severely bored with the social links too beyond the bear clock. It's so bland.... Looking forward to the last character apparently having actual writing to him. I want to say I liked the running scene one with Min, but I don't know if it's actually good or it's just simply better than the average bar she's set prior.....

How does the dancing in this game look so consistently wrong in different ways every time. It's hilarious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dancing in video games is apparently really hard fo animated. See the legendary Shepard Shuffle from Mass Effect.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I've caught up fully to the videos now. It's funny how Yohan starts at Stage 3 and theoretically has less time than the others, but probably has the most actual content to him. Just from one, we see that he has trouble sleeping with some PTSD due to witnessing his brother die in front of his him, and his regrets over the harsh last words he had. In terms of his training, as badly designed as the actual minigame is, I do find it to be a nice story-writing point that he's practicing how to manage his feelings, given what his social link had just gone over.

Though I think Yuna's content is generally fine overall. Her stress over the pressures of idol-dom, and how she didn't defend her friend because she was afraid of getting caught up in the public media shitstorm that was brewing. Add on the pathos of her dealing with someone using her name and image to maliciously harm her fans, and she has some meat on the bone as well. I do agree that her Stresand-ing her friend by accident is a really dumb move, but it feels like a dumb move that she would actually commit. Though yes, she really should be addressing the trap people set for her fans first.... That part of the writing just forgetting that was an existing plot point isn't great.

Min.... has one plot point that isn't executed well. Her friend's spirits coming out to support her is all well and nice, but it's impossible to take seriously given that she's tied to the front of a train as a battering ram at the time. As for her social links, they're memorable for how batshit they are overall.

Sia.... has done.... something.....? I don't remember poo poo about her content either.

Min and Sia are interesting counterpoints. One is memorable as a train wreck, the other may as well not exist.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 13: Tentacle MAN :siren:

Now that we've reached the final free time section, it's time to start knocking these links out for good, and first up is our dear idol. She is...surprisingly straightforward and down with all of this? That might be a reflection of the rest of the party, though...
I wonder if that "distance" number in Lux's Not!Tinder profile actually means anything or if it was just pulled out of a hat. It's definitely not a location on Earth; you'd have to circle the globe seven and a half times to travel that far. But it's also not far enough to be any destination I know of beyond Earth; you wouldn't even get close to the Moon at that distance.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 14: Plushyboy :siren:

I regret to inform you that this video contains two horrifying scenes, only one of which is the Min romance.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Yohan link was really good. I like how his brother refused to let the conversation get too heavy, and allowed Yohan to get some real closure over the events.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Was this what Aria was originally going to look like? She looks somewhat different in game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flair posted:

Was this what Aria was originally going to look like? She looks somewhat different in game.

For some reason she has white hair in the hologram and blue hair in person. It's weird.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
What's really weird to me in terms of this game is that this game's cast dating setup with the NPCs is the typical anime-esque array, complete with creeper-pervert best friend figure. But yet the singular dude interest has the social links with the best effort put forward. Which feels very at odds with how you'd expect the typical priorities to be?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

nine-gear crow posted:

For some reason she has white hair in the hologram and blue hair in person. It's weird.
Her hair still looked pretty white in that cutscene where she and Chani were flirting.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That was post-curse, after recovering enough that she could remove the full body cast. I think her hair turning white sounds like a symptom of being turbo-cursed. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 15: Dreamboat :siren:

It is officially time to pick our beloved from among this star-studded cast. Technically we still have to see the rest of Sia's link, but I think at this point we've seen enough of her to know what that entails. If you truly want to hold off until she gets her major plot moment, that'll be in Friday's video. For everyone else, you can vote here until Saturday.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The regular writers seem like they're very experienced at poo poo-posting, but not so much actual character writing.

They lack the courage to follow-through with the Sia joke though.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
That explains the tentacle arm in the beginning

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Artix, I just want you to know that I didn't vote for the person I liked the most, but instead voted on who Yajirobe deserves.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I almost think this game would be better if there were fewer stakes in the main plot.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shei-kun posted:

Artix, I just want you to know that I didn't vote for the person I liked the most, but instead voted on who Yajirobe deserves.

But Chani's not on the list?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Cloacamazing! posted:

But Chani's not on the list?

Yep. Min might work as a second choice but at that point I'd sooner flip it around into "who is most deserving of the smooches" and that's Yohan by a mile.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh, Yohan deserves the world (at least compared to everyone else in this cast), and Chani wasn't on the list for Yajirobe, so I went with Min.

I'm guessing Min and Yohan will get the most votes between the two of them depending on the reasoning behind the voting, and Yohan's votes will be done mostly for positive reasons.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The vote is going to be a war between the shitposters and the people who are earnestly voting.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
And once the dust has settled, Sia will walk in and take the victory.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Keldulas posted:

The vote is going to be a war between the shitposters and the people who are earnestly voting.

That has always been the story of any vote.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Would you say that this game is, while weak on it's own, a decent enough showing of potential for future projects? Like, the guy made it mostly on his own and the other people came in late. Would you be interested in seeing what he does next with more teammates, using the feedback he got from Eternights itself, etc?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Junpei posted:

Would you say that this game is, while weak on it's own, a decent enough showing of potential for future projects? Like, the guy made it mostly on his own and the other people came in late. Would you be interested in seeing what he does next with more teammates, using the feedback he got from Eternights itself, etc?
The guy needs an editor who can tell him when something's not nearly as good of an idea as it seems in his head. If he had one of those? Maybe, but I don't have high hopes that he'd actually listen to them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

An editor and more writers who doesn't seem to be stuck on the same anime character clichés.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Junpei posted:

It is a promising start for any solo development, though I would like if he hired a dedicated animator. I don't want the next project to have 1-5 black text over what could have been half a second to a second animation.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Junpei posted:

Someone in the thread said that while their shitposting is strong, it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of interest in actual character writing (a statement I agree with) and as long as that's true, I can't say I would be very interested in anything else this studio puts out. The fact that he made this game at all is extremely impressive, the fact that he wanted $30 for it is...not.

:siren: Part 16: The Kafka Lab :siren:

Prepare yourselves, it's time for the dramatic confrontation with Delia over THE STONE.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oh no, an enemy Stand.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kinda sad when the boss fights nearly all take less time than the larger trash mob encounters.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm kind of hoping for a better final boss fight, but I've learned not to expect that from this game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

I'm kind of hoping for a better final boss fight, but I've learned not to expect that from this game.

I am almost dreading the prospect of what this game considers to be a final boss. It's going to be some weird Unity Store asset flip, but WHAT is still unknown to us. Though I don't imagine we (being me and Argate) have much longer to wonder because Artix has promised that as soon as the poll wraps up we're putting the game out of our misery in one final shot.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Artix posted:

Someone in the thread said that while their shitposting is strong, it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of interest in actual character writing (a statement I agree with) and as long as that's true, I can't say I would be very interested in anything else this studio puts out. The fact that he made this game at all is extremely impressive, the fact that he wanted $30 for it is...not.

:siren: Part 16: The Kafka Lab :siren:

Prepare yourselves, it's time for the dramatic confrontation with Delia over THE STONE.

I'll say that this was overall amusing to follow, but the idea of actually spending money on it in terms of value is not so much.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Shei-kun posted:

What makes it worse is that the games Eternights take inspiration from usually have their narrative show or develop the final bosses or antagonists ahead of time. Delia slashed the protagonist's arm in the beginning and finally shows up now; Umbra is just there, but we do not really get to know much about Umbra aside from Umbra's objective. The final bosses or antagonists usually embody a rivalry to or the antithesis of what the protagonist represents. Unless Umbra (or whoever the final boss is) is the opposite of horny, I am not hoping for much.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
A small part of me hopes the final boss is Umbra, but just as a tree. You just have to wail on Umbra and break barriers while Umbra exists there.

Because I'm actually afraid of what I'll feel if the final boss fight is actually good.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's amazing to how just how empty all of the character pathos feels here. Trying to make Ran's death a sad thing was just hilarious. Just like how Delia basically doesn't exist except to chop off your arm (and therefore her arc falls incredibly flat too), we literally only learned anything about Ran this episode. The pacing is amazing.

Granted, the game is also just doing the general thing of falling apart at the seams. It kind of started with the Min train scene, but given that's also around where Yohan's introduced, his scenes did a lot to make the game feel more coherent than it is.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Was the walkie talkie thing just to ensure they could give Johan lines without heavy handed forcing off your party composition? Does it play out significantly different if he's actually part of the party?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geemer posted:

Was the walkie talkie thing just to ensure they could give Johan lines without heavy handed forcing off your party composition? Does it play out significantly different if he's actually part of the party?

The game seems to be trying to enforce the harem aspect of things by making sure the party is the protagonist plus the three girls for most of its runtime. Notice how quickly, for example, Chani just disappears from both the plot and gameplay the second Min and Sia arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The game seems to be trying to enforce the harem aspect of things by making sure the party is the protagonist plus the three girls for most of its runtime. Notice how quickly, for example, Chani just disappears from both the plot and gameplay the second Min and Sia arrive.

To be honest, I figured Chani disappearing from gameplay was just Artix dumping his chump rear end the moment the chance presented itself.