Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Dans Macabre posted:

Edge making vertical tabs first-class citizens is excellent.

this is the best feature of edge, tabs should be on the side because we have widescreen monitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sweevo posted:

people who have a million tabs open are weirdos

maybe browser vendors should take another pass at bookmarking because it hasn't changed since 1994 and the web has

keeping tabs open, sorted, and arranged in one or more windows (especially if they have a hierarchy like tree style tab) is not something that can be directly solved with bookmarks. if it can, then i'm all ears.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

rotor posted:

i mean like ancient tabs you dont close are stored internally as what amounts to bookmarks so idk if thats true. I think the issue is that creating them is another step and its just easier to leave the tabs open.

i agree, and that's one part of what i was getting at when i said they should re-think bookmarks because that creation step is a barrier and so in the pruning step. for the people who are tidy with their tabs, are you equally tidy with your bookmarks or is the mess just swept under the rug?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

rotor posted:

i go through cycles where i keep a ton of tabs and then get annoyed and organize them into good bookmarks

do you ever go back and prune those bookmarks though? the core issue (as i see it) is that as long as you add more things than you remove, both tabs and bookmarks will grow to infinity eventually. with background tab unloading, what is the actual point of bookmarks now? that's why i think they need to be rethought as a concept