Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

He got like 30 minutes a game for a five minute stretch going back a couple games, which was great. Then he went to 18 and 11 minutes the last couple games. I mean they were actually in the 11 minute game so maybe he's on to something.

I think young players need defined roles and not to be messed around with so they can grow comfortable in a role and not have to worry about that.

Giving defined roles is exactly what Monty does with his players, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

Giving defined roles is exactly what Monty does with his players, tbh.

It doesn’t sound like Monty sat down at all with Ivey before the season and stressed that he wants him to be high energy 6th man

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The magic are fun to watch. Very lucky to have a second young, competitive, fun team with an Australian that isn't whatever Josh Giddey is. Joe should get more minutes, he's the best distributor on the team.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

EoinCannon posted:

whatever Josh Giddey is.

pedophile the word your looking for?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EoinCannon posted:

The magic are fun to watch. Very lucky to have a second young, competitive, fun team with an Australian that isn't whatever Josh Giddey is. Joe should get more minutes, he's the best distributor on the team.

There's a third one in the Pels!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
pacers?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Pacers are a fun team to watch but do not have an Australian.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that queta guy moves around funny

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

There's a third one in the Pels!

Tbh I forgot where Dyson Daniels had been drafted
Pels look like a fun team and should be fun to watch a developing Australian player. Joe rules but the announcers where calling him slow mo Joe and uncle Joe today

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1730775627874111931

love both refs going into their throwing a guy out motion at the same time. go team refs

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ThePettiestLA/status/1730804318662705382

Nah this poo poo rocks. heads up basketball play for the big man who doesn't want to run.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Neat team. Deranged, perverted version of the 7SOL Suns from…~20 years ago 😩

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePettiestLA/status/1730804318662705382

Nah this poo poo rocks. heads up basketball play for the big man who doesn't want to run.

lol

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

The man plays for the cold hearts

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1730764972307763266

bro?
Bro??
BRO????

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh, only one night? that should make people feel better ???

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
So it wasn’t true love, then

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's both only "alleged" but also definitely only happened once

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the only way the bulls can get back to relevance is to draft and hand the keys of the franchise to Boo Buie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

the only way the bulls can get back to relevance is to draft and hand the keys of the franchise to Boo Buie

That "FROM NORTHWESTERN" gonna go crazy in the UC for the 10-72 Bulls

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

That "FROM NORTHWESTERN" gonna go crazy in the UC for the 10-72 Bulls

this would be me in that scenario

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Take it away lionel

https://youtu.be/nqAvFx3NxUM?si=NqbQr0qOSofB7DnY

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Tatum with a literal dril tweet:

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1730799862864654533

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

tristeham posted:

in the majority of sports it is seen as being disrespectful to your opponent to not try to score as much as you can.

My father coached water polo for decades, and he said that while American teams would generally avoid running up the score, various Balkan and Eastern European teams he played/saw wouldn't hesitate to do so. One time he asked a Bulgarian coach why he was having his team run aggressive plays/using his starters during a blowout. The coach replied that it would be disrespectful to the sport not to always try your hardest.

I respect that attitude, even though it definitely makes more sense to try to protect your starters in the NBA given the level of investment/importance of managing health for the playoffs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Youtube has reminded me that DeRoZan has always been a big baby about the unwritten rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKW5SbyNBiA

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

If you're the home team, I can see doing a cool dunk to cap off the night and send the crowd home happy. But Lance just lays it in, man needs his 2 points desperately lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lance just casually walking through the pissed off Raptors without giving a poo poo they're up in their feelings is a massive dub for him IMO

e: there's definitely a chance that when it happened I had a stick up my rear end about it :v:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 2, 2023

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Lockback posted:

Also in Soccer they absolutely pull star players near the end or play prevent keepaway if they have a lead so I don't know where all of this "Holier than Thou" bullshit is coming from. It's the exact same thing.

This is not the same thing at all. This is not done in order to avoid embarrassing the other team when the conclusion is foregone. It's the exact opposite. It's to reduce the risk that the other team scores.

The losing team never time wastes in soccer. They often aggressively fight the winning team for the ball.

Finally, blatant time wasting often gets you a yellow card.

It's not equivalent to the 'code' in basketball at all.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Of course it does suck and I hate it (time wasting) but I don't think it's the same thing

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Tiebreak should be whoever had the most dunks

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ja Morant is still suspended while this nasty pedo continues to see the floor. Adam Silver, you are off the goop for real

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Stealth Tiger posted:

If you're the home team, I can see doing a cool dunk to cap off the night and send the crowd home happy. But Lance just lays it in, man needs his 2 points desperately lol

The Suns last season got really dang mad at Zion for doing a breakaway 360 dunk to close out a game at home.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Kibner posted:

The Suns last season got really dang mad at Zion for doing a breakaway 360 dunk to close out a game at home.

And that dunk was awesome.

https://youtu.be/BDpHc_dH0tU?feature=shared

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Quizzlefish posted:

This is not the same thing at all. This is not done in order to avoid embarrassing the other team when the conclusion is foregone. It's the exact opposite. It's to reduce the risk that the other team scores.

The losing team never time wastes in soccer. They often aggressively fight the winning team for the ball.

Finally, blatant time wasting often gets you a yellow card.

It's not equivalent to the 'code' in basketball at all.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

When the game conclusion is foregone in soccer, they absolutely will sub out top players if they have the subs. That's what we're talking about in basketball, teams were keeping Tatum, Brown, etc in when they normally pull them. So thats the exact same. You can't say "In Soccer its considered disrespectful not to try your hardest to score/prevent scoring every second of the game" and then say "They replace healthy players with guys who aren't as good".

NBA players aren't handing the ball to the other team with 7 minutes left. They're still playing hard, they're just being smart about letting the clock run and not taking risks. Just when they have a comfortable lead they won't do things like intentionally foul drummond. In soccer when you have a comfortable lead you don't take risky, aggressive tactics to run up the score (unless you need the points for differential). That's the exact same thing, except in the NBA you've never needed the point differential before so thats why it's a story.

The only thing that's different is in the NBA its customary for the final play to just hold the ball, but that's a basketball thing because no other game gives each side ~80-100 scoring opportunities every game. A garbage goal is still a goal and a big deal in soccer, so it just isn't the same thing, but it's also such a small deal.

And I watch a whole bunch of FIBA and the same thing happens there frequently. Maybe not quite as much as NBA but it certainly isn't unusual.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I don't understand why Tobias Harris is considered a "good" player, every single time I have watched him for the past several years he looks absolutely terrible

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

A guy on 0 minutes exertion and some skill may be more help to winning than a guy with 75 minutes exertion and all the skill is his point

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dynamite Dog posted:

A guy on 0 minutes exertion and some skill may be more help to winning than a guy with 75 minutes exertion and all the skill is his point

Then the same could be said for the NBA, but it's not. In soccer it's not because then why don't they sub out their best players at the end of tied or close games? And since you have limited subs, why do they only sub out their best, most expensive players?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

nikosoft posted:

I don't understand why Tobias Harris is considered a "good" player, every single time I have watched him for the past several years he looks absolutely terrible

He has a awkward offensive game but he's efficient (60% TS last season and this), he is a versatile scorer either on the perimeter or down low, and he typically grades out as a + defender. Those combinations in a 6'8 dude is very rare and typically what NBA teams need.

He has a knack for missing at the worst times or not turning the ball over until it's in the middle of a crucial run, but overall they guy is exactly the kind of guy who makes NBA teams better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

He wants to squash the Mormon rumors before it gets out of hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nikosoft posted:

every time ive see him play he looks like you used a character creator to make completely average nba starter with no exceptional skills qualities or deficiencies