Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Let's go Lakers, a beautifully constructed team with a deep roster that definitely won't struggle with injuries to star players all season. The road to 97-0 starts tonight :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Let's go Lakers, a beautifully constructed team with a deep roster that definitely won't struggle with injuries to star players all season. The road to 97-0 starts tonight :smuggo:

I hope they go 82-0 and then blow a 3-0 lead in the finals to really outshine the '16 Warriors

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

You just monkey pawed a rash of injuries into existence.

Also I see what you're doing but any lineup of death really needs NAW.

I am glad people other than just me love NAW.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

love you lakers dentist man

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Considering sleeping for 29 hours so I can skip time to wemby

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

I am glad people other than just me love NAW.

NAW rules, please do not take my dream lineup as thinking I dislike him

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

NAW rules, please do not take my dream lineup as thinking I dislike him

I do not. I’m just happy to see him get adored by another fanbase.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

No Wemby on opening day? Pass.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

ROY needs 65 games or more yeah? Seems very likely Wemby (and a lot of others) don’t make that

I think ROY and 6MoY are excluded from the 65 game requirement.

Lockback posted:

Hornets say anything about what they're doing with Bridges?

He had a prolonged manic episode and clearly needs mental health and support so they’re going to keep him on and make sure he gets what he needs, right?

Oh? That was Kai Jones and they waived him? Miles Bridges is the guy who violated a domestic abuse restraining order and threw billiard balls at a car containing his kid? Well I’m sure they’ll do right by everyone involved

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Bridges can't play until Nov. 17

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’d bet money we don’t see Miles Bridges this calendar year, the NBA is gonna flip if the Hornets don’t do anything regarding his new fuckup, but also the Hornets clearly think he’s the difference between a top 10 draft picks and a potential playoff spot so they’ll probably try to do the bare minimum

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Kai requested a trade also.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Maestro posted:

I think ROY and 6MoY are excluded from the 65 game requirement.

Oh hey it looks like you're right. So yeah if Wemby keeps putting up highlights at the rate he did in the preseason I think he'll win it even with somewhat of a lighter schedule than Scoot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The league will probably hammer him with a season-ending suspension once he pleads guilty to these new charges. My only guess is the team is keeping him around for bird rights if they want to sign him next season

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh hey it looks like you're right. So yeah if Wemby keeps putting up highlights at the rate he did in the preseason I think he'll win it even with somewhat of a lighter schedule than Scoot

It'll depend on how much he plays. Originally I would have bet he played under 42 games but he looks more adept at the NBA game than one would have thought watching his FIBA games, so maybe he will play a solid majority of the season. If he plays like 30-40 games I think it'll be hard to give him ROTY unless he puts up absolutely stupid numbers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morestuff posted:

The league will probably hammer him with a season-ending suspension once he pleads guilty to these new charges. My only guess is the team is keeping him around for bird rights if they want to sign him next season

Even if they want to clean their hands of him they need to wait for the legal process to play out so they can cut him and owe him nothing instead of the millions of dollars on his contract

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

It'll depend on how much he plays. Originally I would have bet he played under 42 games but he looks more adept at the NBA game than one would have thought watching his FIBA games, so maybe he will play a solid majority of the season. If he plays like 30-40 games I think it'll be hard to give him ROTY unless he puts up absolutely stupid numbers.

You have to play 65 games to win an award

Wemby is going to play 60+ games unless he get severely injured

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

temple posted:

Kai requested a trade also.

Yeah Kai took it out of the teams hands unfortunately. Personally demanding a trade is really against league rules, (which is a rule put in place to keep Woj in business) but either way they had to cut him. Also yeah it would be the best PR thing to cut Bridges now, but they're waiting for the legal process so they can save a shitton of money.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

You have to play 65 games to win an award

Wemby is going to play 60+ games unless he get severely injured

The 65 games requirement doesn't apply to Rookie of the Year or All-Rookie teams

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

The 65 games requirement doesn't apply to Rookie of the Year or All-Rookie teams

That's stupid

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

😤😤😤

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's NBA Day, gently caress yes.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Started a GDT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045602

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Lockback posted:

30-40? He played every game for Mets 92 last year, didn't miss a single regular season or playoff game, averaging 32mpg. This is in a league where every team had a 280lb center trying to bully him all game.

Scoot by comparison missed a bunch of games for ignite with ankle injuries and a nose fracture.

I think the risk for Wemby is obviously a major knee or foot injury. But that's the kind of thing that would make the Spurs sit him all season. He's not going to sit half the games because he's getting knicked up, the Spurs want him to play so he can learn. He'll definitely play 60+ this season short of an ACL or foot fracture or something like that.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

every single game for a regular season euroleague team appears to be 34 games lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tanglewood1420 posted:

30-40? He played every game for Mets 92 last year, didn't miss a single regular season or playoff game, averaging 32mpg. This is in a league where every team had a 280lb center trying to bully him all game.

Scoot by comparison missed a bunch of games for ignite with ankle injuries and a nose fracture.

I think the risk for Wemby is obviously a major knee or foot injury. But that's the kind of thing that would make the Spurs sit him all season. He's not going to sit half the games because he's getting knicked up, the Spurs want him to play so he can learn. He'll definitely play 60+ this season short of an ACL or foot fracture or something like that.

The paris team only played 34 games last year. He played more games in FIBA too but nothing even close to the NBA grind of 82 games in ~7 months. I'd also assume the Spurs will play things way safer than usual with him. NBA players who play 82 games almost always do so playing through a host of little aches and ailments, but the Spurs will almost certainly try to take things easy on him. Like I said, his pre-season performance has me doubting my earlier thoughts but I still think he'll be close to 40 games played than 70.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1716947603705954461?t=b6MrekI2cuQgkE6HVhf2nQ&s=19

Was this shared? Charles rules.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Charles is awesome. During the short running Strike Force Five podcast (that had the active late night hosts talking to each other during the WGA strike), they all agreed that Barkley was the best guest because he would drive the conversation and talk about anything. John Oliver even cited him on Inside the NBA as the funniest thing on television. I think it was Kimmel that had a story along the lines that Barkley's publicist said things like gambling and basketball were off the table for an interview and first thing Charles said when he sat down was "I had big money riding on a Lakers game and..."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ballislife/status/1716958337135169847?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I love Charles Barkley so much

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Its got a cocaine platform for baby Koenke

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

the image name offends me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol at that complete nonanswer from silver

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol at that complete nonanswer from silver

"no we are clearly not trying to compete and be better then the other sports leagues on this"

don't think what you wanted to say is what you ended up saying

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GoutPatrol posted:

the image name offends me

Yeah he's a nice guy.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

The paris team only played 34 games last year. He played more games in FIBA too but nothing even close to the NBA grind of 82 games in ~7 months. I'd also assume the Spurs will play things way safer than usual with him. NBA players who play 82 games almost always do so playing through a host of little aches and ailments, but the Spurs will almost certainly try to take things easy on him. Like I said, his pre-season performance has me doubting my earlier thoughts but I still think he'll be close to 40 games played than 70.

Brass tacks, they have control of his rights for 7 years. No point rushing things when he's basically a prototype only sort of matched by one guy who was done in 4 years of NBA play

It was genuinely nice to have real nba basketball to watch tonight. The nuggets have a warriors esque "ball is energy" thing going where you can tell they enjoy sharing the ball with each other. No Jordan Pooles on that team and it shows

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

https://twitter.com/msinger/status/1716995695280873519?s=20

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/ClutchPoints/status/1716833512836522459

extra funny now that Jokic just put up another td disposing of the lakers, again

lfg

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

News: The Nuggets are probably going to be good again this season.

Views: I don't like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1717006123138732184