Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Why do most animals have their testicles on the outside? It seems like the worst place to put them and where all your enemies can get to them.

Cooling function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why are the testicles the only two organs in the body that need a different temperature?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Why are the testicles the only two organs in the body that need a different temperature?

Sperm are their own life forms. Balls are the space ship.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

redshirt posted:

Sperm are their own life forms. Balls are the space ship.

Makes sense they would be packed away deep in the guts, away from footballs. God is a loving moron.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GABA ghoul posted:

Skimming the Internet there seems to be two hypotheses but no conclusion:

- Early mammals had lower body temperature, and at some point there was a benefit to increasing it (probably because it allows or is a side effect of more bursty movement, like sprinting), but something about how sperm develops didn't work quite as well when warmer. Thus having a testicle cooling system became beneficial - and then it just got stuck because evolving away from it requires some very specific changes in an area where halfway measures disappear from the family trees really quickly, for nonzero but not huge benefits.

- Sperm are way more active at body temperature, so developing at a cooler temperature means they save their energy reserves until they warm up inside a vagina.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When do you think math was first discovered in human history?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

probably the first time anyone thought really hard about dividing something equally (or unequally)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Animals Count and Use Zero. How Far Does Their Number Sense Go?

The basics go way back, probably to before we were even human.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i dont think an animal perceiving zero -- or 'nothing' -- is the same thing as 'using' zero mathematically but im sure this is a very fun article for math/bee nerds

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

You Are A Werewolf posted:

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

redshirt posted:

They are still in our solar system, relatively not far away.

:wrong:

Voyager I left the solar system in 2013. Voyager II left in 2018. They're still relatively close but they're both expected to pass beyond radio communication range sometime in the next few years.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

loving ingrates is what they are.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How do you tie a balloon? Like if you don't want it to be a complete pain every time

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ikanreed posted:

How do you tie a balloon? Like if you don't want it to be a complete pain every time

Try to neither win nor lose to it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

...! posted:

:wrong:

Voyager I left the solar system in 2013. Voyager II left in 2018. They're still relatively close but they're both expected to pass beyond radio communication range sometime in the next few years.

It's semantical I suppose. Voyagers crossed the Heliosphere. But the solar system can certainly be defined as to the boundary of the Oort Cloud, and it will take the probes thousands of years to cross that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

NASA themselves say that both Voyagers are now interstellar

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

...! posted:

NASA themselves say that both Voyagers are now interstellar

It's still debatable, but I agree NASA does say that. Only because they are defining (in this specific case) interstellar as "being effected by forces outside the sun", as opposed to within the heliosphere, where the local solar wind blocks out interstellar winds.

Here's a NASA FAQ on the subject of the Voyagers. https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/frequently-asked-questions/

A better definition of the solar system, IMO, is the Oort Cloud, AKA the gravitational boundary of the Sun's influence.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

From that FAQ:

quote:

Sometimes, it is written that Voyager and Pioneers 10 and 11 have exited the solar system. Though all of these spacecraft have gone beyond all the planets of the solar system, they have not exited the solar system, based on the scientific definition. To leave the solar system, they need to pass beyond the Oort Cloud. Voyager 1 was the first-ever object to reach interstellar space on August 25, 2012 when it passed beyond the sun’s realm of plasma influence (the heliosphere) and it is the most distant human-made object. But it will take about 300 years for Voyager 1 to reach the inner edge of the Oort Cloud and possibly about 30,000 years to fly beyond it. Voyager 2 has not yet reached interstellar space or exited the heliosphere (bubble of solar plasma). Pioneer 10 and 11 are no longer transmitting science data back to Earth.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Space is lame

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Space is lame

We're in space right now bro. Just bookin' it across the cosmos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I stand by my assessment

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

From that FAQ:

this is great news, it means that once our technology develops to the point of allowing intra-planetary travel, we can go out there and pick that poo poo back up before it actually drifts someplace too far outside the system and lets someone Else know that we're here

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If the Sun sometimes clearly causes clouds, why doesn't it happen all the time?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

this is great news, it means that once our technology develops to the point of allowing intra-planetary travel, we can go out there and pick that poo poo back up before it actually drifts someplace too far outside the system and lets someone Else know that we're here

Nah man, let that probe go.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

Stoatbringer posted:

What time is it?

23:32

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

- Early mammals had lower body temperature, and at some point there was a benefit to increasing it (probably because it allows or is a side effect of more bursty movement, like sprinting), but something about how sperm develops didn't work quite as well when warmer. Thus having a testicle cooling system became beneficial - and then it just got stuck because evolving away from it requires some very specific changes in an area where halfway measures disappear from the family trees really quickly, for nonzero but not huge benefits.

I read somewhere that its theorized that mammals developed a higher body temperature to deal with parasites.

Earwicker posted:

in 500 years some rich dude is gonna race there and pick it up as a coffee table piece

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vampire Panties posted:

I read somewhere that its theorized that mammals developed a higher body temperature to deal with parasites.

in 500 years some rich dude is gonna race there and pick it up as a coffee table piece

Sure that sounds just as plausible.

Either way, the ratchet mechanism suggested is:

- Low body temp, internal testicles, all is fine
- Something makes higher body temperature so beneficial that it wins out even with an accompanying reduction in sperm quality
- An external scrotum can develop gradually and having better sperm is a clear advantage, so that takes over
- Now that you are back to 100% sperm quality again, moving the testicles inside would be an immediate handicap. Evolving sperm that can develop at a higher temperature first would open for it, but there's no real pressure for that to happen (with exceptions, I'm sure).

Not that it's universal. Elephants apparently have their testicles safely inside their bodies.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

can cold-blooded animals digest cooked food efficiently

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

redshirt posted:

If the Sun sometimes clearly causes clouds, why doesn't it happen all the time?

what the freak is a sun cloud

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

flubber nuts posted:

what the freak is a sun cloud

No clouds, sun rises, clouds form over the mountains, grow and spread, couple hours later its overcast.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

GolfHole posted:

can cold-blooded animals digest cooked food efficiently

Is there a reason they couldn't? Cooking food makes it much easier for us to digest because putting that energy into the food in the form of fire is energy we don't have to put in breaking it down.

I'm no biologist. Is there any reason why it would be different for a cold blooded animal?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

If humans come from monkies then why are there still monkies?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

where is the bud? where is the bud?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stoatbringer posted:

the same reason butterflies come from caterpillars but there are still caterpillars

once a year monkeys weave themselves into a cocoon for a couple of months and then at the end of that period they hatch out as a human. so any monkeys you see around are just humans that haven't undergone that process yet, but they probably will next year.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

Give it time. They're just slow.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

How can people still have hope for the future when Young Sheldon exists?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

flubber nuts posted:

where is the bud? where is the bud?

The only black eyed peas song I actually like

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

How can people still have hope for the future when Young Sheldon exists?

We survived "Joanie Loves Chachi", we will survive this too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sadly, Chachi's brain did not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How come Will Sasso never made it big but that dude from the sitcom where his wife was the scientology whistleblower became a household name? wtf is that guys name? He was in a bunch of Adam Sandler movies.