Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Home depot is the weirdest loving store. Any time I ask any employee literally any question they stare at you blankly and go “uhhhhhh let me look that up” or “sorry I don’t work in this area of the store” it’s like every single person working there started the job 5 minutes ago. I think I could cosplay as a Home Depot employee better than someone who actually works there. I no longer bother asking anyone where anything is because aimlessly wandering the aisles is faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pencilhands posted:

I think I could cosplay as a Home Depot employee better than someone who actually works there.

prove it

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
can we modchallenge pencilhands to go work at home depot for free? is that internet slavery??

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I talked to a home depot employee once ever. I needed some galvanized pipe threaded.
They got me some guy and he threaded my pipe and I left without issue.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

theres a good hank of the hill episode about this

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Retail employees not giving a gently caress or knowing anything is the fault of the employer, not the employee

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Nobody working retail wanted to wind up working in retail. Just be glad they can ring you up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm so mad at home depot employees that I'd be in my right mind to go blow up the men's room with a bricklike-turd and leave it for them

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"Let me look it up" IS THEM HELPING YOU you rear end in a top hat

How can retail drones know everything about all the technical poo poo in a store that big

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
You get what you pay for and those people aren't paid enough to be knowledgeable or give a poo poo

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I wouldn’t give any advice to a non ticketed person either. Go watch a YouTube video and leave me out of your future injury or structural collapse.

Home Depot employees ignoring diyers is actually good and cool.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
At the start of COVID at The Home Depot:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
all the contractors are laughing at you bumbling around the aisles trying to find a conduit box and rightly so

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
why know things when you can get Jamie to pull that up

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how do you know they don't know anything if you've shown up not knowing anything? they might be sharing their wisdom with you and you're too stupid to realise, op

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I wouldn’t give any advice to a non ticketed person either. Go watch a YouTube video and leave me out of your future injury or structural collapse.

Home Depot employees ignoring diyers is actually good and cool.

i just want to know where the 3m respirator cartridges and bug spray are you loving prick

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The most knowledgeable Home Depot employee is the guy who cuts boards to size

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

i just want to know where the 3m respirator cartridges and bug spray are you loving prick

I don’t work in that dept

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i asked the guy where their left-handed monkey wrenches were kept he just laughed at me

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

I just look up what aisle it will be in on the website while I sit in the parking lot

It has vastly improved my home improvement store visits

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

lol if you cant walk backwards and blindfolded to the auras at this point.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

go there and keep asking people if they "got wood?" lmao :xd:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

I'm so mad at home depot employees that I'd be in my right mind to go blow up the men's room with a bricklike-turd and leave it for them

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

theres sawdust everywhere you dont need to use the washroom

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

flubber nuts posted:

lol if you cant walk backwards and blindfolded to the auras at this point.

auras aren't chemical filters thanks for being worthless!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ban pencilhands until they put up or shut up and get a job at home depot

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Here's my experience after working at Home Depot seven years ago for two months:
-They ask if you have any knowledge or experience that would apply to a specific department. They then ignore that and put you in the department with the lowest staffing.*
-Training consists of sitting at a computer clicking through modules for most of your first day.
-After having way too much information thrown at you over the course of several hours, you're given a phone and sent to the floor with someone who has slightly more seniority than you to give you a tour of your department. You've probably seen employees with the phones. It's the only way they can find anything in the store. It's basically homedepot.com with more detailed inventory info.
-If they train you to use a forklift or reach truck, you'll be constantly paged out of your department to move things around.
-If you work in lumber, you'll either be moving poo poo with a forklift or at the saws, listening to people complain that you won't cut all their 2x4s for free.
-DIYers wanting to find a random item were among the easiest people to deal with.
-Contractors were often impatient and wanted you to have the knowledge of a journeyman. I don't remember the 5 minute module on different types of concrete. You're supposed to be the expert on this.
-The pay is barely above minimum wage, and there's no employee discount (because "HD already has the best prices! If we offered an employee discount, we couldn't offer lower prices for our customers!")
-There is a morning meeting that everyone is required to attend ala Walmart cheering/chanting.

*I thought this was just something that happened at my store, but a recent trip to the nearest HD confirmed it wasn't. I was looking for some cabinet hardware the PO of our house hosed up. The person who ended up helping me said "I'm normally not over here, but I worked 25 years in cabinetry. They stuck me in the plumbing department. I don't know poo poo about plumbing. They do this all the time."

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i feel like only the crack head contractors use home depot

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

its all nice on rice posted:

-If they train you to use a forklift or reach truck, you'll be constantly paged out of your department to move things around.

that's just the price you pay for being a certified operator

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Now I'm just wondering what pencilhands could have been looking for at home depot

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This was almost 20 years ago, so some details may be a bit off. I went to home depot and needed an eye-screw to hang something. The first man I spoke with was named Steve and he knew not where they could be found, but assured me that Dan was wise and would know. Upon finding Dan he knew not where they could be found, but assured us the man on the hill did. We went outside and followed the sound of a mournful violin in the darkness to the top of a nearby hill where a man in a raggedly black jacket played a mournful tune.

"Oh man on the hill why do you play?" Inquired Steve

"Because I must." replied the lone violinist.

"Oh man on the hill, what do you play?" asked Dan.

"What my heart tells me." spoke the sad musician.

"Uh, do you know where I can find eye screws?" was my question.

"Aisle 25, cabinets." answered the man on the hill.

He was totally right.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I can only imagine how many stupid customers you have to deal with at Home Depot or Lowes or any other place like that. Some guy who watched a youtube video comes in, explains he's replacing all the wiring in his house, and asks you were he can find a pair of pliers.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
loving moron at the Depot didn't even know where the male to male extension cords were. Useless.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Law of Comparative Advantage, OP. If they knew that sort of stuff their skills would be more valuable elsewhere. Same reason nutritionists don't work at supermarkets

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grey Cat posted:

They got me some guy and he threaded my pipe

Same, but for me it was in the alley behind Home Depot

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
because you're in a hardware store the size of a texas gas station parking lot. Just use the app to find what you need

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Devils Affricate posted:

Now I'm just wondering what pencilhands could have been looking for at home depot

2x4 and nails to wack himself in the nuts with

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lowe's in a better store but both places have miserable employees.
Home Depot also doesn't sell wooden dowels longer than 4', UGH.

Harbor Freight gang rise up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Lowe's in a better store but both places have miserable employees.
Home Depot also doesn't sell wooden dowels longer than 4', UGH.

Harbor Freight gang rise up.

harbor freight was a godsend any time I had to work jobsites with people I didn't know or trust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

loving moron at the Depot didn't even know where the male to male extension cords were. Useless.

Right next to the segakiller brand rf switches, duh