Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Launch trailer

quote:

Alan Wake 2 marks Remedy Entertainment’s first foray into the survival horror genre. Ritualistic murders in a smalltown. A writer trapped in a nightmare. An FBI agent looking for answers. Two realities. Two hero characters. One horror story that wants them dead.

A mere thirteen years after the release of the first game, Remedy has finally returned to the cult classic. Alan Wake 2 follows Saga Anderson, a FBI agent investigating the disappearance of Agent Robert Nightingale from the first game and being dragged into the bizarre and horrifying events surrounding the town of Bright Falls. Meanwhile, Alan is still stuck in the Dark Place which is manifesting as a twisted reflection of New York. He's struggling to stay alive and sane while writing a story where he escapes back into reality. While most of Remedy's games are action-heavy with some spookiness, the studio has been clear that AW2 is a full-blown horror game. Its also part of the ~*Remedy Connected Universe*~ which, uh, just consists of Alan Wake and Control so far.

A good recap of the story so far by Remedy's Creative Director Sami Antero Järvi/Sam Lake

Should I play Alan Wake 1?
Probably! While its a little dated and the core problem of being repetitive in gameplay and setting remains, its still a solid game with some high points and the narrative style unique to Remedy. Since the game is pretty clearly divided into "episodes", my recommendation has always been to play through one of those in a session and then put the game down for a day or two. It helps with the repetitiveness. The original is available on Steam, while the Remastered version is on Epic and all previous and current-gen consoles.

Should I play Alan Wake's American Nightmare?
If you want. This game began life as a prototype of the improved combat for what was then going to be Alan Wake 2. Remedy spun it into its own little game on the Xbox Live Arcade and it is now also available on Steam. While I personally find it fun, it is mostly just combat. The official word on the story is that its just one of Alan's attempted stories to escape, which failed. So if you are jonesing for more Alan Wake, knock yourself out. But it is otherwise skippable.

Should I play Control?
Yes, but not for Alan Wake reasons. While Control references Alan Wake and has a DLC that elaborates a bit on what happened to Bright Falls after the first game, I would be surprised and disappointed if it is essential to AW2's story.

Should I play Quantum Break?
Well now you're just being silly.

I heard the PC requirements were pretty beefy.
Yup. In short, you need a GTX 3070/Radeon 6700 XT for 60 FPS on Medium settings at just 1080p. Also a SSD. If you haven't upgraded your PC this decade, you really need to. Alternatively, get a console.

Some gameplay from the perspective of Saga Anderson
Some commented gameplay showing off Saga and Alan gameplay.

Alan Wake 2 released at 12am EST October 27th on the Epic Games Store, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S

1stGear fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
I am sort of bummed I don't think I can swing ray tracing on my set-up, but I enjoyed Control much more than I imagined I would, so here I am.

And thanks for thread.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Quantum Break is good :colbert:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ALAN WAKE 2!!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

weekly font posted:

Yeah I really liked it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I remember Quantum Break being fun, but also I haven't played it in five years. Its also the pinnacle of Sam Lake's obsession with television so take that as you will. I mostly just put that line in there because comedy* comes in fours.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

1stGear posted:

I remember Quantum Break being fun, but also I haven't played it in five years. Its also the pinnacle of Sam Lake's obsession with television so take that as you will. I mostly just put that line in there because comedy* comes in fours.

Paul Serene

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

I dont want to speak to the story which i would at least call ambitious with the tv tie in (if I'm remembering right)

But the gameplay and time powers were fun.

Also i love alan wake. I hope we find out what happened with his agent.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I actually installed Quantum Break just to kill time till tomorrow and lmao the first five minutes has an in-game TV ad showing a female FBI agent and Sam Lake looking for Alan Wake.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hoping we get to a third game so we can have a power meet up of Casey (Max Payne), Wake, and Faden.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 26, 2023

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i enjoy survival horror so this is tempting but I haven't watched or read much about it other than the OP. I liked the story of alan wake 1 and enjoyed control as well but I don't know if my wallet can handle it.

I have never played quantum break before but I might have to now that I know it exists.

the system requirements holy poo poo

Rock Puncher fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 26, 2023

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZeusCannon posted:

Also i love alan wake. I hope we find out what happened with his agent.

What happened to Barry was addressed in documents in Control.

Control spoilers:
He’s perfectly well. He became the manager of the Old Gods of Asgard for a time, and ran their comeback tour. He then invested the profits in an old person’s home for them after they started to be come too old to play anymore.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

continuing the trend of barry being the best person/friend in the extended remedy universe

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So, has Bright Falls changed it's name to Watery? And has 13 years passed in universe too? Seems like Nightingale could of been up to a lot in that time.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
"Alan... Wake up..."

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

So, has Bright Falls changed it's name to Watery? And has 13 years passed in universe too? Seems like Nightingale could of been up to a lot in that time.

it looks like Watery is a town adjacent to Bright Falls, across the river
https://alanwake.fandom.com/wiki/Watery

and yes it's set 13 years after the first one

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Remedy just said NG+ is coming to AW2 post launch as well as nightmare difficulty with alternative narrative (pages and videos)

Ng+ carries over all unlocks.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Review embargo just lifted. Lots of glowing reviews including 10/10 from Gamespot and 9/10 from IGN. 94 overall from opencritic.

Game might be good?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

What a loving year for games. Just god drat

Ready to go tonight

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Commander Jebus posted:

Review embargo just lifted. Lots of glowing reviews including 10/10 from Gamespot and 9/10 from IGN. 94 overall from opencritic.

Game might be good?

It's incredibly good.

If I had to distil Alan Wake 2 down to one bit, it would be this (early minor spoilers):

Early on you, as Alan Wake, participate in a nightmarish talk show hosted by Mr. Door, an interdimensional being introduced in Control. The other guest is Remedy game developer Sami Järvi, as his in-universe version, Sam Lake. He plays the lead actor in the in-universe movie versions of Alan Wake's books. You have a talk about authorial ownership and the experience of having your work converted to another medium.

Then he does the Max Payne face to raucous applause.

This game makes me giddy in a way nothing since Pentiment has done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is a lot of fun. My only real complaint is that the combat is basically Just Ok At Best but they seen aware since there is a lot less

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh, and if anyone was wondering about in-game TV programs? They've got you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fzx0Rifxw

ImpAtom posted:

It is a lot of fun. My only real complaint is that the combat is basically Just Ok At Best but they seen aware since there is a lot less

Yeah, overall the tempo of the game feels more survival horrorish than the first one. I liked the change, as well as the increased emphasis on finding clues and combining them in the Mind Palace.

General note on performance? The PS5 version in performance mode seems to run rock solid at 60 FPS, and looks quite good regardless. The quality mode was far too slow for my tastes so I only tried it for a few moments. On PC my 5600x/3080 runs the game at Medium settings and 1440P at 60+ FPS, with raytracing turned off of course. But I'm sure Digital Foundry will have a much more in depth video about this soon.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 26, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Remember to install the new nvidia drivers that they're releasing today!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

Control spoilers:
He’s perfectly well. He became the manager of the Old Gods of Asgard for a time, and ran their comeback tour. He then invested the profits in an old person’s home for them after they started to be come too old to play anymore.

Amazing. He was by far my favorite character in 1

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Reviews are insane I'm making GBS threads my pants!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Control spoilers:

alan, typing: "and...he...also...drives...a...porsche"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, one warning:

This game loving loves jump scares. You are going to get a huge amount of "walking along, suddenly the screen turns into a screaming horror face with a loud noise" stuff. If you hate that in games be warned.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, one warning:

This game loving loves jump scares. You are going to get a huge amount of "walking along, suddenly the screen turns into a screaming horror face with a loud noise" stuff. If you hate that in games be warned.

Yeah that was a fun surprise when I had just switched over to playing with my headphones. Literally nearly pissed myself.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, one warning:

Hell yeah!!!!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh, and if anyone was wondering about in-game TV programs? They've got you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fzx0Rifxw

Yeah, overall the tempo of the game feels more survival horrorish than the first one. I liked the change, as well as the increased emphasis on finding clues and combining them in the Mind Palace.

General note on performance? The PS5 version in performance mode seems to run rock solid at 60 FPS, and looks quite good regardless. The quality mode was far too slow for my tastes so I only tried it for a few moments. On PC my 5600x/3080 runs the game at Medium settings and 1440P at 60+ FPS, with raytracing turned off of course. But I'm sure Digital Foundry will have a much more in depth video about this soon.

Is this a game where it was built around RT for its 'look', like with say Cyberpunk? I only have a GTX 3070 and have a 1440p monitor.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, one warning:

This is good to know. Beyond my dislike of that sort of thing, I am also on headphones and I am slightly concerned about hearing :corsair:

EDIT: Also, seeing the reveal of the game on the Game Awards is what made me realize that Sam Lake is literally Max Payne.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 26, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Is this a game where it was built around RT for its 'look', like with say Cyberpunk? I only have a GTX 3070 and have a 1440p monitor.

according to DFs initial video the overall look is pretty consistent between RT on and off, enabling RT just cleans things up (e.g. gets rid of SSR artifacts)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't think so. The lighting looks REALLY good without raytracing, and I didn't feel like I was missing anything from the PS5 version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also, seeing the reveal of the game on the Game Awards is what made me realize that Sam Lake is literally Max Payne.

It's very funny how blunt it is that Alex Casey would be called Max Payne if not for Rockstar owning the rights

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Unlucky7 posted:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there any real difference between the PC version of the first game and the Remastered version?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Thought it might be fun to link this video which features the original Alan Wake E3 trailer and a short discussion/showcase by Remedy's Markus Mäki from Intel Developer Forum 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJAxpwqtQmw

"It's running on an Nvidia graphics solution and it has an Intel Core 2 Quad processor that's been overclocked by more than a gigahertz, so it's running at 3.73 gigahertz!"

"This must be one of the fastest gaming machines on the planet."

"It sure is."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have both AWR and AW:AN but tbh I bounced off both of them because of the repetitiveness and don't feel like playing them. Mostly getting this cause Control was great, I love survival horror (and this looks RE as hell) and the reviews for AW2 are so gushing. Anyone have a quality recap video they recommend so I at least know whats going on?

My memory of AW is pretty much not stephen King is stuck in his own stories and there's glitchy guys that can't handle flashlights.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's an official recap of the first game available in fortnite lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

repiv posted:

there's an official recap of the first game available in fortnite lol

Can you see Alan Wake hit the griddy????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Can you see Alan Wake hit the griddy????

of course you can see alan wake hit the griddy if you preorder alan wake 2 for the exclusive alan wake fortnite skin with alan wakes iconic messenger bag backbling