Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mylan posted:

I saw a pretty good youtube theory video that proposes the idea that Zane was the original protagonist of the book that the dark presence wanted Wake to write, and his existance is just a holdover from when Alan broke from it's influence and changed the story so that Alan himself became the new protagonist.

Is that really just a theory? A GAME THEORY I always thought that was the intended interpretation, that Zane was essentially just an earlier draft of Alan before he started writing himself directly into the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm already getting pissed at some of the design decisions going on here. I can't believe I'm saying this with how stunningly gorgeous it looks and how well it runs (for me I guess), but elements of the game so far feel....sloppy. I don't know how else to put it. I'm getting frustrated. :(

I assume you mean the combat?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Caidin posted:

I never figured out if Thomas Zane created Alan with his writing, or if Alan created TZ with HIS writing, or if the Old Gods of Asgard did with their music, or if somehow they all created each other.

I always figured that Thomas Zane was created by Alan Wake as a way to world build his way out of the dark place. Wakes take on an Obi Wan or wise old mentor on the hero's journey.

I always kind of figured Agent Nightingale was created by Wake as well

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you mean the combat?

Honestly I don't think the combat is actually that bad so far, sure it's worse than AW:AW and is probably the weakest point but IMO there is really nothing to get annoyed at. It fulfils it's purpose of pushing you to panic while also punishing you for panicking, pretty well.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Is that really just a theory? A GAME THEORY I always thought that was the intended interpretation, that Zane was essentially just an earlier draft of Alan before he started writing himself directly into the story.

Dunno, I could see how someone could interpret Zane as a real person who discovered the lake before Alan did but failed to escape. The whole reality altering power of the lake kinda fucks up the concept of a true order of events.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

gently caress the government!

We have bolt cutters.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I knew the Case Board was a thing in this game from one of the trailers I watched but I hope it remains brain dead because I've already gotten stuck for a few seconds trying to figure out where a photo goes just in the very first chapter

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
If it helps, it will only let you open photos for that particular case, and you can only place them next to the spaces with writing/questions on them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My interpretation is always that Zane is real and was trapped by the presence. Since he couldnt figure out how to beat it, he created Alan Wake who is an author who can learn how to beat it who is in turn captured by the presence and we are playing Alan's telling of how he got away

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
maybe it’s because I went into this game wanting to like it but saga took no time at all to click with me. two minutes onscreen and I think, yes, clairvoyant Swedish fbi agent, you and me against the world

she might be just another successor to the dale cooper archetype but I like how she’s a down to earth lady who just happens to be psychic, and with a morbid streak a mile wide

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

maybe it’s because I went into this game wanting to like it but saga took no time at all to click with me. two minutes onscreen and I think, yes, clairvoyant Swedish fbi agent, you and me against the world

she might be just another successor to the dale cooper archetype but I like how she’s a down to earth lady who just happens to be psychic, and with a morbid streak a mile wide

I choose to believe that in a world like this "psychic FBI agent dealing with magic zombies" is just like something they teach at Quantico.

"Look, you are a photogenic woman with a good brain. This means you will be issued your government-standard mind palace, psychic powers, and vulnerable and charming family."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In the opening moment when taking control of Saga, a glitch madeSam Lake’s FBI character drop his coffee cup and it went underground. He held his arm as if he was still holding it. He took a sip and the cup floated in midair a few feet away, perpendicular to his arm’s movement.

Good god, this is the first time I played a game on EGS. Their achievement notifications are obnoxious.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've just arrived in Bright Falls for the first time and I'm so excited. I had previously given up on more Alan Wake, but the stinger at the end of the AWE DLC reignited my hopes that Sam Lake would finally be able to make the game he's been spending a decade trying to get made.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

In the opening moment when taking control of Saga, a glitch madeSam Lake’s FBI character drop his coffee cup and it went underground. He held his arm as if he was still holding it. He took a sip and the cup floated in midair a few feet away, perpendicular to his arm’s movement.

Good god, this is the first time I played a game on EGS. Their achievement notifications are obnoxious.
I had something very similar happen.

At first I thought that they went as far as having flies naturally roaming around in the forest area and one was just close to the camera. Nope, it was the detached coffee cup of Alex animating in place just 10 feet to the left of his location.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Speaking of Control, (spoiler for after the first boss) the FBC monitoring station at Cauldron Lake starts having an alarm go off after you kill Nightingale, if you go in there and look at the monitor, it looks the exact same as from the end of AWE, implying this is the reason why it was triggered at the end of AWE, so it's neat that there's an established timeline between the two games.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I know they said you didn't need to play Control before this, but man 3 chapters in and you should really play Control before this

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

They throw a lot of them at you, too. There was a point in the general store where I got 3 or 4 in the span of 2 minutes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Adding my voice to the list of "just finished chapter 1 and this game rules" statements.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The reveal where (early game spoilers just before leaving Bright Falls after your first visit) Breaker vanishes and Nightingale just sits up then proceeds to wreck house as the light strobes and be a creepy rear end mfer was so drat good. The game is incredibly cinematic, great cinematography, editing, and sound design. Really an enormous step above the workmanlike cutscenes in most other games.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Is there a known bug where no one has any facial expressions?

I’m just sitting here watching Saga see and realize all this horrible spooky stuff about this fat dude hanging brain and she’s just like :effort:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Also is there any way to have the Dodge and run actions bound to the same button, like they were in the first game?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Can't decide if I should grab this on PC (3080 TI) or PS5. I don't really want to fiddle with a bunch of settings but if I can get a lot more out of the graphics may be worth buying on PC.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Can't decide if I should grab this on PC (3080 TI) or PS5. I don't really want to fiddle with a bunch of settings but if I can get a lot more out of the graphics may be worth buying on PC.

What resolution are you playing on?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What resolution are you playing on?

I have a 4k TV and 4k monitor hooked up to the PC but 1440p doesn't bother me.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm on a 3080, medium preset, DLSS balanced at 4K output, getting I think a reliable 60fps with rare drops. Hard to be certain since I had to disable my MSI afterburner overlay to get the game to start, but I'm pretty sensitive to frame drops with a 3D camera. That's comparable to PS5's quality mode but with better image quality and at double the framerate. Seems like a top end 40 series nvidia GPU is table stakes for ray tracing unfortunately.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I have a 4k TV and 4k monitor hooked up to the PC but 1440p doesn't bother me.

You should be good for the most part with RT off and DLSS set to Balanced or Performance. The DLSS in this game is pretty good.

Frame Generation is basically the only way to make the game playable with RT, especially path tracing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

acksplode posted:

I'm on a 3080, medium preset, DLSS balanced at 4K output, getting I think a reliable 60fps with rare drops. Hard to be certain since I had to disable my MSI afterburner overlay to get the game to start, but I'm pretty sensitive to frame drops with a 3D camera. That's comparable to PS5's quality mode but with better image quality and at double the framerate. Seems like a top end 40 series nvidia GPU is table stakes for ray tracing unfortunately.

If you turn Afterburner on after the game starts it'll work just fine. I guess it just authenticates on launch.

And yeah, I have a 4080 with absolutely everything on and it needs either Balanced/Performance and FG to hit 60. Performance gets me a solid 60+. Game looks incredible.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oh that's great to know. Thanks

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Okay so starting on hard mode was a big mistake. The first "boss" has no checkpoints and the fight has instakill bullshit like in Evil Within.

The combat frankly doesnt feel good. At least not in the way RE does.

Ill stick to normal and see how it feels.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I’m sad that this game seems to discourage exploration by randomly spawning in enemies if you linger too long in an area. And some of the enemies won’t drop ammo or other items so fighting them is a net loss.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It rules so much that Saga has a conspiracy board and Alan appears to have a story/draft board instead.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
They got some easy mode poo poo like Control eventually got? I intend to play through Control with that stuff on since all I care about are the narrative and style and so on. This looks cool in that department as well but I'm not interested in the resource management survival horror feel atm. Just wanna breeze it and see the story and all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

I’m sad that this game seems to discourage exploration by randomly spawning in enemies if you linger too long in an area. And some of the enemies won’t drop ammo or other items so fighting them is a net loss.

i just ran away from most of the random spawns, they don't chase you very far

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It has Easy, Normal and Hard. And can be changed after you start the game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Definitely interested in checking this out because I really liked Control, but when people say that the game is scary, what kind of scares are there? Are we talking like Resident Evil scary, Amnesia scary, something else?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Oxxidation posted:

i just ran away from most of the random spawns, they don't chase you very far

Do they despawn quickly too? The issue with running away is that it interrupts the exploration, at least temporarily

PunkBoy posted:

Definitely interested in checking this out because I really liked Control, but when people say that the game is scary, what kind of scares are there? Are we talking like Resident Evil scary, Amnesia scary, something else?

Jump scare/Resident Evil scary

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

WaltherFeng posted:

Okay so starting on hard mode was a big mistake. The first "boss" has no checkpoints and the fight has instakill bullshit like in Evil Within.

The combat frankly doesnt feel good. At least not in the way RE does.

Ill stick to normal and see how it feels.

They said online that the game has been balanced with Normal in mind, give it another go. I personally feel it plays great and loved that boss, and found it was tense but didn't die, but I've been on normal the whole time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah i started on hard and made it through three encounters before tapping out. the first alan wake was sleepwalk-easy but that is not the case here

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ymgve posted:

Jump scare/Resident Evil scary

I did like Resident Evil 4 Remake/Separate Ways, but I know that those are on the more action-y side of the series, so maybe I'll check out some videos first. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Oxxidation posted:

yeah i started on hard and made it through three encounters before tapping out. the first alan wake was sleepwalk-easy but that is not the case here

I made it to the first boss fight in hard.
I literally ran out of bullets on that and was 100% certain that I needed to find a trick solution to it.
Spent multiple attempts running around the area trying to find the solution.

Solution was to drop the difficulty to normal. Now the boss had way less HP.