Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Got dang that's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looks like a big patch today that has an option to turn down jump scares, but more importantly fixes the ng+ crossbow box bug

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Attempting to adjust this setting should result in a jump scare.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would have liked to have just turned off jump scares entirely

The game is already creepy enough without needing them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't be silly, Kingdom Hearts didn't have a musi-

Oh. Welp. Nevermind, this is 100% accurate.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

let me put jump scares in pip mode with the volume turned down

I kinda hated them as the game went along so of course I laughed out loud when Saga also got sick of cynthia's poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vitamean posted:

let me put jump scares in pip mode with the volume turned down

I kinda hated them as the game went along so of course I laughed out loud when Saga also got sick of cynthia's poo poo
That part really got old

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just SO MANY MORE than any other section. So ridiculous it almost became funny. Almost.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FlamingLiberal posted:

That part really got old

Well yeah it's a retirement home!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The natural follow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6eGRh_tpDU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I got to Alan's last (?) meeting with Mr. Door, and Door openly pours scorn on the idea that there are rules to making the Dark Place work; according to him, at least, all the rules and the loops and the bullshit hoops to jump through have just been Alan self-sabotaging like he always does. And as the Old Gods' method of getting a dude out of the Dark Place is just "get drunk, drive bus to lake, make up a song as you ride, rock out", I'd say that's pretty confirmed. (Even if it didn't work immediately; I think it will, I just need to finish the Alan sections.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looking at the description this other channel has some interesting stuff

quote:

Btw I got the full Alan's vid from the goat Champion of Light who extracted the vid from the game. He provided us a google drive links with all Alan Wake 2 and Control videos, textures, and audios. Please visit Champion of Light's channel and give him a subscribe for the goated contents.

https://www.youtube.com/@ChampionofLight2023

vvv Yoton Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCCpCRE-3k

site fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 31, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

CapnAndy posted:

I got to Alan's last (?) meeting with Mr. Door, and Door openly pours scorn on the idea that there are rules to making the Dark Place work; according to him, at least, all the rules and the loops and the bullshit hoops to jump through have just been Alan self-sabotaging like he always does. And as the Old Gods' method of getting a dude out of the Dark Place is just "get drunk, drive bus to lake, make up a song as you ride, rock out", I'd say that's pretty confirmed. (Even if it didn't work immediately; I think it will, I just need to finish the Alan sections.)

if we're going by quantum break rules mr door found a cave with a natural time machine but was stuck for an eternity living in all timelines simultaneously so he's completely outside human logic and is maybe some sort of god now, which is why the dark place is to him just another awe and not an overwhelming threat to reality. basically in the lake cinematic universe reality is already pretty drat broken

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Well the patch apparently fixed all the issues I had with the story board and various case files. Guess it was a bug causing issues all along lol, phew.

edit: and once again I am screwed out of the lighthouse key despite them just implementing a fix. If I did Alan's side first in my playthrough I woulda been fine too lol.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 31, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Al! posted:

if we're going by quantum break rules mr door found a cave with a natural time machine but was stuck for an eternity living in all timelines simultaneously so he's completely outside human logic and is maybe some sort of god now, which is why the dark place is to him just another awe and not an overwhelming threat to reality. basically in the lake cinematic universe reality is already pretty drat broken
I haven't played Quantum Break so I dunno about any of that, but overall I'm inclined to believe Door. I think the Dark Place has only two rules: it only reacts to art, and the artist needs to believe in the work. The Old Gods are uncomplicated straight-ahead types so they can just haul up and rock out, but Alan is so consumed with personal issues and self-doubt that he has to put all these barriers in his own way, because maybe if he suffers enough, he'll finally get the voice in his head that's constantly telling him he's not good enough and doesn't deserve his success to shut the gently caress up and admit that he earned this one.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

lmao I just had the game softlock on the Ocean View bar menu. Can't quite win'em all Remedy. Couldn't press escape to get out, but the game was clearly running so I had to alt f4.

CapnAndy posted:

I haven't played Quantum Break so I dunno about any of that, but overall I'm inclined to believe Door. I think the Dark Place has only two rules: it only reacts to art, and the artist needs to believe in the work. The Old Gods are uncomplicated straight-ahead types so they can just haul up and rock out, but Alan is so consumed with personal issues and self-doubt that he has to put all these barriers in his own way, because maybe if he suffers enough, he'll finally get the voice in his head that's constantly telling him he's not good enough and doesn't deserve his success to shut the gently caress up and admit that he earned this one.

I think that the Andersons all prove the reason why the Dark Presences targets specific artists/writers/creatives and not others, because it needs someone it can break down and twist to make use of in its escape. A bunch of stubborn rock musicians used to bashing heads and stubborn as rocks are bad targets aside from the fact they have psychic powers and can fight back like that as well. Like, the Dark Presence really had to target Tor's baser desires to even try and affect him and even then it seems more like Tor was affected because of his remorse from mistakes long ago. Once Saga shows up and accepts him and gives him a chance to apologize to her, you can practically see the weight lift from his shoulders.

This is a long rambling post to say I don't disagree entirely, but also by design the Dark Place is able to work better on some people better than others, and is at least half at fault for what Alan is putting himself through.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I finished Initiation, and... oh. "Is that Alan or Scratch" was a false question the whole time, huh. And the ritual worked, just not as expected, and... man, what a bummer about Alice!

It kinda looked like she was jumping into Cauldron Lake, so maybe she's not dead? I'd really like it if she's not dead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Beat it. Definitely the most satisfying ending of a Remedyverse game so far. It's clearly a part 2 of a trilogy and existing in a wider universe so not everything gets resolved, but everything that needed to get wrapped up got wrapped up. Really enjoyed it, great stuff.

Reactions and stuff I'm wondering about :

Alice isn't dead and she did jump into Cauldron Lake! Called it! Ha! And I like how that reveal also simultaneously reveals why the Dark Place's symbol has been a spiral all this time. Obvious, in restrospect; a spiral curves around and around the same center, but it's ultimately just a straight line. It was never a loop. Love it.

Where exactly are Saga and Casey? The real world? I thought Alan re-entered the Dark Place when he walks into that portal in Bright Springs -- and he drat sure thought so too -- but maybe not? Rose wouldn't be in the Dark Place (probably?), but then again he saw flashes of Alice, so... huh? And then the Dark Presence is besieging Valhalla, which seems a Dark Place-y type of thing to do, but it's loose in the real world... And it matters, because Saga and Casey end up in the room with Alan and they stay there after the climax. Are they stuck in the Dark Place now too? And if so, why does Saga think she'll get cell reception there? Maybe it was just a massive Threshold that Scratch tore open and they were in both places simultaneously until Saga "kills" Alan, which closes it, senidng Alan back to the Dark Place and leaving them in the real world. (Also, nice foreshadowing with the Tom Zane "killing" and how he too will get back up and wipe the blood off his head if you just stick around.)

Bit of a dick move to leave us hanging on the Logan resolution, though.

I want to break this part out because it's important to me. When I was playing American Nightmare and called the lighthouse sequence a wonderful metaphor for mental illness, well, I'm drat sure certain now that it was an intentional one. Because, right near the end, Saga being trapped in her Mind Place? That wasn't even subtext. That was depression. That is exactly what depression is like. The disease lies to you, constantly, and you can't ignore it, because it uses your own voice. And it screams. It's a nightmare, I have lived it, I manage to keep it at bay these days with medication, and that is exactly what it's like. I recognized every second of that sequence, right down to how you keep it at bay -- not defeated (you can still pick up hostile "clues" even as you unlock the affirmations) -- but enough to let you walk away for now. Saga literally gets out of her own head. Therapy in the form of a video game. Fantastic.

I'm gonna play other games for a bit because this is not an experience I want to dive right back into, but it'll be fun to see what NG+ is like now that I know what's really going on (well, as much as you can) right from the start. And I think there's new scenes?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
NG+ somewhat resolves the ending somewhat. It's worth playing but the break is a good plan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Re: ending SPOILERS by the end of the game essentially all of the living characters are in the Dark Place. I forget if the NG+ stuff gets any of them out as I have not played it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
https://www.esquireme.com/gaming/arab-game-awards-2023
TLDR: Alan Wake 2 won 8 awards, including the best game of 2023 .

Friendship ended with so called The Game Awards.
Now Arab Game Awards are my favourite award show!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Inshallah Alan will escape the dark place in Alan Wake 3

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

uh...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I bought a bootleg copy off a street vendor (wanted physical) and this was the post credits stinger

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Inshallan

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Just finished the game and watched the NG+ stuff last night, and the thing I can't get over is how it's just a re-telling of The Dark Tower and how much that impacts my feelings on both works. Alan being a copy of Stephen King helps sell how Alan's writing can be lovely but still fun and loved, just like King, but that only extends so far.

Stephen King wrote the 7-book series The Dark Tower as his Magnum Opus to bring together all of his works into one meta-work where his characters can interact through doors to other worlds. He spent ages on the first three (which are amazing), then IRL a car hit him, then he quickly poo poo out the other four books including a portion where his characters go to Maine and save him from dying from the car accident. Ultimately when the main character Roland reaches the Dark Tower in the center of all things, Steven King inserts a chapter stating "I don't know how to end this book, but just like sex it's about the ride not the orgasm right?" Roland climbs the tower and exits to find he's back at the beginning of the 7-book series, quickly forgetting everything that led up to this point. The theme of looping and wheels had been repeated throughout the series, and in the end there's some very slight differences to suggest that at "Some Point™" Roland might escape the loop.

I hate the ending with a passion: it felt lazy ending 'near the last loop, but not quite', leaving the reader to fill in what's left. The chapter where King states "it's a cop-out, but it's a meta-work anyways so deal with it" felt unearned. And if I had beat Alan Wake 2 before NG+ was released, I would have likely felt the same. Instead, they include The Last Loop as NG+ to experience, and I'm still chewing that over. NG+ doesn't really change our understanding of the story much, besides confirming expectations. I'd probably just prefer if the content was included in the first playthrough, but I think it existing at all adds a lot to the game. It's certainly an incredible idea for how to handle NG+ and the unique approach videogames can bring to art.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dark Tower related, but I recall being a little hyped about the movie since Roland had the horn.

That's a weird rear end movie, the ingredients for a good movie and it was just...that.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Azubah posted:

Dark Tower related, but I recall being a little hyped about the movie since Roland had the horn.

That's a weird rear end movie, the ingredients for a good movie and it was just...that.

Never got around to watching it because once the reviews came out I knew it would just be a disappointment.

Despite naturally wanting that ending, if King ever released "The Dark Tower, but I swapped around some pages now so Roland blows the horn rather than ascending the tower" it would be laughable. Yet it's a pretty compelling thing to have in a video game as a NG+ mechanic to wrap up this story about a Stephen King-like character. Chewing over this is probably what I'll remember most about the AW2 experience.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

From my point of view, having the month gap - but knowing it was probably coming - was really exciting and motivated me to play NG+ in a way i usually don't in games.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Finished New Game+ The Final Draft last night. I left a few month gap between runs - it may have been too long. I really only noticed maybe 2 big departures from the first playthrough. Whenever I noticed something I thought was new or different I was unsure whether this was new to The Final Draft, if I had just missed it last time, or if it just had newfound significance due to me knowing the mysteries of the game.

Can't wait for The Lake House and Night Springs.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A new patch just dropped that fixed some crashes, but more importantly allegedly quashed the bug causing the Lighthouse keys to become unobtainable in some playthroughs, huzzah! :toot:

It gave me the energy to want to finish, just need to polish off Alan's side and... uh...

... Remedy? Why am I getting so many new bugs? :ohdear:

Tim feeling comfy in his new spot:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...aada7a9a8f421a&

Hey did you know you have some Words of Power? :)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...3e2511c83a07fb&

I had to sit through the entirety of Alice's pt2 documentary a second time due to this soft lock

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Anybody listen to the complete edit of Herald of Darkness, a lot of what they cut sounds so good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TontoCorazon posted:

Anybody listen to the complete edit of Herald of Darkness, a lot of what they cut sounds so good.

Does it have more lyrics?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No extra lyrics, just instrumental.

TontoCorazon posted:

hell yeah, I get why it got cut down and boy am I glad they released it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Does it have more lyrics?

No new lyrics, just extra sexy guitar work

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's the transitional bits when you take longer to get through a section than the lyrics last.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Remedy says: "Alan Wake 2 has sold 1 million units by the end of December 2023, and 1.3 million units as of the beginning of February 2024. Alan Wake 2 is Remedy’s fastest selling game so far."

So I don't think it's exactly a flop.

https://investors.remedygames.com/announcements/remedy-entertainment-plc-remedy-announces-sales-information-for-alan-wake-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Show me the champion of liight

duum du du dudum