Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Treecko posted:

Bad Religion is good, naysayers

bad religion are way overrated and those fuckers poo poo sound is responsible for pop punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Have you considered that maybe religion deserves it? They know what they did.

this uniironically

Treecko posted:

Bad Religion is good, naysayers

My Spirit Otter posted:

bad religion are way overrated and those fuckers poo poo sound is responsible for pop punk

both can be true

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

My Spirit Otter posted:

nah and nah

I grew up in the church (preacher's kid) so I've been hating religion for like forty three years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm so lucky to have grown up in a 100% religion free family.

Grandparents on my Dad's side had a big religious blowout: He was Protestant, she was Catholic,
and both families disowned them when they got married. So they stopped being religious, passed that on to their kids, and then onto my family.

Thanks, you long dead idiots!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i was not so lucky and spent a lot of nights as a child sweating through my sheets hyperventilating about the infinity of heaven and hell. nice thing to do to kids

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

at last as an adult i can take comfort in The End

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It didn't even matter?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

cumpantry posted:

i was not so lucky and spent a lot of nights as a child sweating through my sheets hyperventilating about the infinity of heaven and hell. nice thing to do to kids

How should kids be taught to handle suffering?

Tell them to pray for things to get better!

Gotcha, real answer is that it was all part of god’s great plan!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I envy anyone who didn't grow up enmeshed in mormonism. :sigh:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Are there any gay gods?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu%27er_Shen

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I don't think spirituality is necessarily bad. Look, you gotta one drat hard-core atheist to look at a universe composed entirely of randomness and go 'there absolutely no way there anything else happening". I think the very facts of life engender spirituality in people. A reverent wonder for existence is not, necessarily I believe, a bad thing.

It's when loving evil motherfuckers take advantage of this reverent wonder for existence to gently caress children, murder others with impunity, and force people to dress and act in the most stilted inhuman ways imaginable that my blood boils. Religion is full stop evil. There is no act of cruelty no person empowered by the belief that his imaginary God is cool with it won't do. Rape, murder, robbery, genocide, literally nothing is outside the bounds of Religion as a whole.

Spirituality? Fine, acceptable, even normal. Religion? Evil. Pure loving evil.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I don't think spirituality is necessarily bad. Look, you gotta one drat hard-core atheist to look at a universe composed entirely of randomness

Hey, it's me, the universe is just random poo poo happening.
I don't think there's some grand plan of it, I'd prefer to imagine we just live in the MiB marbles and those marbles are in a bigger marble, indefinitely.

It probably helps I grew up religious, my father was at one point a church leader. So when I snapped out of all the nasty awful poo poo happening and culting I just felt the more opposed to those people I was, the better.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 27, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've always viewed religion as an amplifier, particularly for the devout. It can drive people to be extremely kind and productive on many fronts but it can also amplify their cruelty and hatred. I also view religion as a way for people to cope with life from day to day, to believe there's a reason that their child is sick or that there's a reason there's a drought. It's a lot easier on the mind to believe there's a reason for thing rather than some random chance.

It's also important to separate religion from the institution. the institutions are usually pretty hosed. Much like capitalism, it's just a system, not good or evil but in the hands of powerful institutions it can be made to make us all suffer.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's when loving evil motherfuckers take advantage of this reverent wonder for existence to gently caress children, murder others with impunity, and force people to dress and act in the most stilted inhuman ways imaginable that my blood boils. Religion is full stop evil. There is no act of cruelty no person empowered by the belief that his imaginary God is cool with it won't do. Rape, murder, robbery, genocide, literally nothing is outside the bounds of Religion as a whole.

I mean this is the truth of it. Even your friendly, genuine nice person priest - can you genuinely believe they didn't know about the reams of abuse and cruelty that was provably going on, everywhere, all the time for decades? Can you really convince yourself they were clueless and not just protecting their job or making psychotic 'how much good can I do by staying' calculations?

That said once you start you also have to apply this thinking to everyone in entertainment and most medics too

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You can hate those too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't think spirituality is necessarily bad. Look, you gotta one drat hard-core atheist to look at a universe composed entirely of randomness and go 'there absolutely no way there anything else happening". I think the very facts of life engender spirituality in people. A reverent wonder for existence is not, necessarily I believe, a bad thing.

Spirituality? Fine, acceptable, even normal. Religion? Evil. Pure loving evil.

That's why paganism is the best religion. Worship of nature, the seasons, life itself.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

GolfHole posted:

both can be true

It's all just drunk sincerity either way

redshirt posted:

I'm so lucky to have grown up in a 100% religion free family.

:hfive: It wasn't until I was well into adulthood that my grandmother started leaning toward Christianity, and she's just the "love & forgive everyone no matter what" kind of Christian, not the "you'll go to hell if you think about sex" kind or whatever

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
LET JESUS gently caress YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm an ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster :smuggo:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Spinz posted:

Good I never stopped

I got probed a couple years ago in pyf for saying religion is dumb and was shocked

hey time to put that cross down and take it easy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My Spirit Otter posted:

whining about pop punk is pathetic boomer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gwen Stefani > Beatles.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

My Spirit Otter posted:

It's alright to have faith in God but when you bend to their rules and their loving lies, that's when I start to have pity on you!

My mom took us to church on the big holidays only and for some reason she was surprised when she asked me as a late teen whether I believed in god and I said no. My dad was raised in catholic school but is more of a "spiritual" type of person. Anyway the church my mom took us to was methodist and actually not bad for being in the South (western NC). I'm pretty sure I remember a sermon from when I was pretty young where they talked about gay people and how they should be loved like anyone else. I remember my grandma making me memorize the lord's prayer so she would buy me a bike. That's pretty much my exposure to religion. I don't hate on it necessarily I think some people get benefits from going to church, I was always jealous of the kids that had church friends. They also tend to do a lot of charity work for the poor and stuff like that. But anyone that preaches hate or judges others can gently caress right off.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

and most medics too

Wat

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Lol at invoking Dorkins

Old grumpy man said dumb things so everything he believes is wrong such as that water is wet

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Bad Purchase posted:

actually op it's not

"This really hurts, please cut me down with your ninja knife."

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bluemillion posted:

"This really hurts, please cut me down with your ninja knife."

"it's a kunai, Jesus"

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

William Bear posted:

I don't think any critic of religion will ever be as consistently entertaining as Thomas Paine. All quotes from The Age of Reason (written from 1794-1807).

Compare this to "lol sky wizard".

That’s just any rational person’s inner monologue as they read the Bible. So lol sky wizard to the rest.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
It's all a big nothing

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

tony quidtana posted:

It's all a big nothing

I'm sure all the people killed in crusades and jihad would disagree, if they could. But they're dead

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

British NHS is full of people who covered up for notorious celebrity pedophiles. From an acquaintance who worked there, they all knew and they're all cowards

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

without religion we would never have invented goth girls, sad but true

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I can't speak for all religions but evangelical christianity is a plague, op

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

im glad jerry falwell and pat robertson are dead and not happy that jim bakker is still alive

those people tricked my grandparents out of a lot of money and totally hosed up their relationships with their family going forward in the 80s and they all deserve what is happening to them in hell right now, if it exists

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if i see religion walking out on tha street im "finna" slap the poo poo out that bitch!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I think if you want to be religious you should have to come up with your own religion. You know, do drugs until you become convinced that what you're experiencing is real, and then go from there.

edit: adopting someone else's religion is like cheating off somebody's test in school, you should have to do the work yourself.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 28, 2023

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Hating religion is not cool again, what is cool again is deadpan ironic religion. Being like, "yeah sure padre, that is the literal dead body and blood of god, i guess i am just gonna guzzle that poo poo here in public. sounds like a totally metal thing all the old ladies are doing at 8 am on sunday. sign me up."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

like all the greek ones i think

Most are bi.

But Artemis is very clearly a lesbian and is only considered a "virgin goddess" because they thought it didn't count if there is no penis. Athena's the one who had no interest in any of that at all (and, idk, just played weird Greek board games all day instead).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I think if you want to be religious you should have to come up with your own religion. You know, do drugs until you become convinced that what you're experiencing is real, and then go from there.

edit: adopting someone else's religion is like cheating off somebody's test in school, you should have to do the work yourself.

I came up with my own religion. Still follow it. Seek no converts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gods peaked when they were golden idols