Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I could do the jawbreaker for sure but the tombstone? That's fuckin crazy man

i did a food challenge to eat a burrito the size of a piece of firewood in like 20 minutes. it was a really good burrito but god drat it wrecked my fuckin rear end the next day. never again!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Gotta pregame it with the Pepto

that can't do anything against an 8 lb burrito with like 8 big rear end jalapeños in it. no, man was not intended to ascend such peaks. nor descend to such nadirs

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Xaris posted:

*eowne voice* no man, but i am no man. skill issue

sure, go ahead and eat the doom burrito. have yourself a Toilet Day. no skin off my rear end

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ohtori Akio posted:

does offal really have to be insanely wet

that's 'O pere e 'o musso, from naples. boiled calf snouts and pigs' feet, sometimes served with intestines or rectums. since it's already cooked, I think the water is probably to keep it cool since it's supposed to be served cold with salt and lemon. sanitary!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

pigs' feet and veal snout is almost certainly better than the stuff that goes into hotdogs and processed meat like the connective tissues, hosed out hog skulls, boiled bones, etc. my wife had some of that stuff in italy and she said it was great. I'd chow down on a bunch of lemony boiled meat bits, big deal!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

personally not a big fan of tripe because the villi freak me out but all other organs are fair game

tripe doesn't really have much flavor either.
now this poo poo, Kokoretsi I really wanna try:

it basically looks like a big piece of poo poo, but it gets worse:
Kokoretsi or kokoreç is a dish of the Balkans and Anatolia, consisting of lamb or goat intestines wrapped around seasoned offal, including sweetbreads, hearts, lungs, or kidneys, and typically grilled;

i want it

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ohtori Akio posted:

i wouldn't. mad?

no but it's none of my business what offal is appealing to you

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Kokorec is, in fact, good

but the stands always give you an absolute massive bread loaf to eat it in. think like 2-3 times the size of the thiccist hoagie loaf you've ever had. so I usually only get it when it's paired with a durum place and I can get them to put it in a wrap, or if it's not busy I'll tip em well to carve some of the bread off (and pay to double the filling since it's already ultracheap). there was a place that would put it in asian style steamed buns but they shut down :rip:

if your in the former ottoman cuisine zone also look into kelle-paca (literally head-foot) soup. ultra cheap source of pure protein.

i found a greek place that sells kokoretsi so I'm probably gonna get that this weekend but I'm having a hard time figuring out where to get kelle-paca. they don't have it at the georgian or persian places i like, or the greek/turkish/cypriot/armenian/etc. might be hard to get in the us, people don't eat a lot of heads here and that seems like a soup you have to cook a long time. may have to just make that myself

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Weka posted:

The unofficial burgerposting thread: something offal

Lol American food sounds like it's just the worst in every possible way.

hotdogs and cheap processed meats are made that way everywhere. they take all the scraps and plop em in a tube with salt. hell, even 'O pere e 'o musso supposedly started out as nobles throwing away old scraps of meat before evolving into the soaking wet lemon cart we all know and love

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Weka posted:

Where I live we have standards that get enforced. Sausages, including hotdogs, have to be >50% actual meat and any offal content must be labeled. I have never seen a sausage of any kind labeled as containing offal.

even your standard there defines meat to include connective tissues, blood vessels, and nerves. usa hotdogs only have to be 15% meat though lol. offal is also supposed to be labeled on any hotdogs and they can contain up to 30% fat, 10% water, 2.5% soy isolate. if they have chemical binders they have to be called "frankfurters". any organ meat must be shown on the label as well and the ingredients are listed by percent mass. a usda inspector has to approve of the ingredient mix as well.
realistically the pressure washed skull interior slurry is not intended to go into human food even in america. that's probably going to end up as pet food. and bones are more valuable processed into glue, fertilizer, buttons, etc.
however i found this fun video about a mechanically separated meat machine (mechanically separated meat must be listed as such on ingredients):

warning: ground meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2sndz9tNlw

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

ok, also plopping this automatic crab butchering machine vid in here because of the contrast of the horrific industrial degutting machine with midi surf music.
warning: potentially upsetting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl7U-f7e7Fw

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

always incredible how all industrial processes take a fuckton of water

well, water is the cheapest polar solvent and many chemical reactions are easier to control using water than any other readily available means.
though the biggest water demands are typically power generation and agriculture in the usa

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Xaris posted:

hydroelectric really doesn't count because it's not consumed or contaminated. it's impounded by a dam and released through penstocks to the turbines into a natural river channel. often times they'll have sluice gates releasing water non-hydro just to keep water levels within a certain threshold.

sure but hydro is like 6% of us power production. most of the water use for electricity is from coal plants

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mags posted:

you have to clean it with something

actually, yes. some of the water used in coal plants is from SO2 scrubbers where they make a limestone slurry and pass the exhaust through a column of that to react the SO2 out. there's also wet scrubbers for particulates that operate under similar principles, detention ponds, and a ton of other stuff to get rid of heavy metals and toxic chemicals that use a whole lotta water. and that's in addition to the water used in the turbine to make electricity.
hell, they could even pull the CO2 outta the exhaust if they wanted to and just have the stacks puff out water vapor but that would make the plants less profitable so i guess a few billion people and most of the animals on earth will just have to die instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

love the meat tube. also the cheap ground beef