Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.thebeatles.com/announcement

probably a computer posted:

London – October 26, 2023 – Together and apart, The Beatles have always had a talent for the unexpected. And now, 2023 brings one of the most anticipated releases of their long and endlessly eventful history. “Now And Then” is the last Beatles song – written and sung by John Lennon, developed and worked on by Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, and now finally finished by Paul and Ringo over four decades later.

“Now And Then” will be released worldwide at 2pm GMT / 10am EDT / 7am PDT on Thursday, November 2 by Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe. The double A-side single pairs the last Beatles song with the first: the band’s 1962 debut UK single, “Love Me Do,” a truly fitting full-circle counterpart to “Now And Then.” Both songs are mixed in stereo and Dolby Atmos, and the release features original cover art by renowned artist Ed Ruscha. The new music video for “Now And Then” will debut on Friday, November 3. More details including global premiere plans will be announced.

The story of “Now And Then” begins in the late 1970s, when John recorded a demo with vocals and piano at his home in New York’s Dakota Building. In 1994, his wife, Yoko Ono Lennon, gave the recording to Paul, George and Ringo, along with John’s demos for “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love,” which were both completed as new Beatles songs and respectively released as singles in 1995 and 1996, as part of The Beatles Anthology project. At the same time, Paul, George and Ringo also recorded new parts and completed a rough mix for “Now And Then” with producer Jeff Lynne. At that point, technological limitations prevented John’s vocals and piano from being separated to achieve the clear, unclouded mix needed to finish the song. “Now And Then” was shelved, with a hope that one day it would be revisited.

Cut to 2021, and the release of “The Beatles: Get Back” docuseries, directed by Peter Jackson, which astonished viewers with its award-winning film and audio restoration. Using WingNut Films’ MAL audio technology, Jackson’s team had de-mixed the film’s mono soundtrack, managing to isolate instruments and vocals, and all the individual voices within The Beatles’ conversations. This achievement opened the way to 2022’s new mix of Revolver, sourced directly from the four-track master tapes. This led on to a question: what could now be done with the “Now And Then” demo? Peter Jackson and his sound team, led by Emile de la Rey, applied the same technique to John’s original home recording, preserving the clarity and integrity of his original vocal performance by separating it from the piano.

In 2022, Paul and Ringo set about completing the song. Besides John’s vocal, “Now And Then” includes electric and acoustic guitar recorded in 1995 by George, Ringo’s new drum part, and bass, guitar and piano from Paul, which matches John’s original playing. Paul added a slide guitar solo inspired by George; he and Ringo also contributed backing vocals to the chorus.

In Los Angeles, Paul oversaw a Capitol Studios recording session for the song’s wistful, quintessentially Beatles string arrangement, written by Giles Martin, Paul and Ben Foster. Paul and Giles also added one last, wonderfully subtle touch: backing vocals from the original recordings of “Here, There And Everywhere,” “Eleanor Rigby” and “Because,” woven into the new song using the techniques perfected during the making of the LOVE show and album. The finished track was produced by Paul and Giles, and mixed by Spike Stent.

Paul says: “There it was, John’s voice, crystal clear. It’s quite emotional. And we all play on it, it’s a genuine Beatles recording. In 2023 to still be working on Beatles music, and about to release a new song the public haven’t heard, I think it’s an exciting thing.”

Ringo says: “It was the closest we’ll ever come to having him back in the room, so it was very emotional for all of us. It was like John was there, you know. It’s far out.”

Olivia Harrison says: “Back in 1995, after several days in the studio working on the track, George felt the technical issues with the demo were insurmountable and concluded that it was not possible to finish the track to a high enough standard. If he were here today, Dhani and I know he would have whole-heartedly joined Paul and Ringo in completing the recording of ‘Now And Then.’”

Sean Ono Lennon says: “It was incredibly touching to hear them working together after all the years that Dad had been gone. It’s the last song my dad, Paul, George and Ringo got to make together. It’s like a time capsule and all feels very meant to be.”

Excitement and anticipation for “Now And Then” has been building since June, when Paul first teased “a new Beatles song” in a media interview. Finally, on Thursday, November 2, “Now And Then” will be shared with the world as it was always meant to be heard.

It's available on vinyl and cassingle, which I never thought I'd ever say about something released in 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It’s gonna suck op

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Wow
:rolleyes:

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Young Thug’s verse on this is 🔥

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Does Ringo need a new driveway or something?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

sorry, i don't listen to the british music genre

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
British music has much in common with British food

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

It’s gonna suck op

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to it. Regardless of how it turns out it'll be a fun curio and an interesting pop culture artefact. Despire the shitposting and cynicism it's actually pretty remarkable that even after all these years, we're still being treated to new Beatles music, although the claims of it being THE LAST Beatles song are ridiculous when we all know Carnival of Light is getting released the exact minute Paul & Ringo are both in the ground.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Beatles loving suck

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Here's a fun song to listen to instead.

https://youtu.be/QJRuZL0fvww?si=1ZWWYy2tVQRouoL4

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The most famous rock band of all time is named after a gimmicky pun.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Who the gently caress are the Beatles?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

get ready for some fiery hot iconoclasm

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hmm can't say I give any sort of poo poo op

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Was the phrase "love me do" a combination of words that native english speakers actually used back when that song was written or were the beatles just doing lazy rhymes?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Devils Affricate posted:

Was the phrase "love me do" a combination of words that native english speakers actually used back when that song was written or were the beatles just doing lazy rhymes?
paul mccartney suffered a brain aneurysm at the time and they just went with it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Devils Affricate posted:

Lazy rhymes but to be fair they were like 18 at the time

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Who gives a poo poo op. Whose paying you to post this nonsense?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Young Thug’s verse on this is 🔥

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

pablo gbscobar posted:

I'm looking forward to it. Regardless of how it turns out it'll be a fun curio and an interesting pop culture artefact. Despire the shitposting and cynicism it's actually pretty remarkable that even after all these years, we're still being treated to new Beatles music, although the claims of it being THE LAST Beatles song are ridiculous when we all know Carnival of Light is getting released the exact minute Paul & Ringo are both in the ground.

basically this tho. im a big beatles fan and i can't help but be interested

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
FANTASTIC

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s a rap on this one and the record sleeve will talk about how Paul McCartney invented hip hop

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Simply having a wonderful Christmastime

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Ugghh when's Ultravox going to release a new song?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

can't wait for a procedurally generated song from a band that was completely clapped out a decade before I, an old, was born

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't listen to music by FEMALES!!! Only music by MEN like the Beatles!!!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The Beatles kick rear end. Paul is my favorite

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The Beatles kick rear end. Paul is my favorite

this.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
They should do a song with Tupac

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Spinz posted:

They should do a song with Tupac

They killed Tupac

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I like the beatles but its more i just like a bunch of their songs and less "they were music gods who invented music". i think they made some great poo poo and some awful poo poo and if john hadn't gotten blown away, they probably would have gotten back to gether wrote a couple good or ok songs and then either split up again OR kept it going until they were gross and old like alot of muscians who lived past 28.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's no guarantee some Beatles AI doesn't put out more new songs later, OP.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

redshirt posted:

There's no guarantee some Beatles AI doesn't put out more new songs later, OP.

its already on youtube, most it sucks dog poo poo but i saw a pretty good johnny cash AI do a song cover i liked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9YvNwfOII

most AI sucks because the ai voice just covers up the original song voice so it just sounds like a weird distored version of the original song.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Was thinking about The Beatles earlier today. Haven’t listened to Hard Day’s Night in a little while, I think it’s my favorite of the early albums. Want to get the White Album lp but it seems like a waste of money with how many times I’ve heard all that poo poo lol

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Whenever I need a quick little drum groove to jive to I put on “She Came In Through the Bathroom Window”, Ringo makes some crazy good fills on that one.

Get Back documentary from a few years back was a real slow burn treat.

New Beatles song is always something you’re gonna listen to but at the end of the day, it was likely never finished before for a reason. Not to say it has to be bad though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
they were poo poo in the 60s, they'll be poo poo today

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Hopefully after this people can finally stop talking about the loving Beatles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

sure okay posted:

Hopefully after this people can finally stop talking about the loving Beatles