Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I will never understand how some people's broke rear end brains won't let them enjoy the Beatles. It is good music mostly and they did some absolutely groundbreaking stuff that still holds up (and some mediocre stuff too like every band ever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The new song just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCL3HahgS8

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

What about my young children?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The song is out, it’s good.

it is! It's neither their acme nor their nadir, but it's exactly what it ought to be imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW55J2zE3N4

never thought I'd ever hear a new solo from George Harrison, however understated. there's drat few who have made a guitar sing so eloquently as he

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The chorus gets me right in the feels, I tell you what.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Interested to hear it was AI / machine learning that let them do this. I've tried to separate audio stuff before with just frequency filtering and it kinda works but not really, being able to pull out a human voice cleanly is :stare:

Song is good, Beatles are good, gonna go listen to my mono box set remasters from 9/9/09 just to spite the haters :evilbuddy:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Disclaimer: While I'm a huge music nerd, I am neither a fan nor a hater of the Beatles. I'm not very familiar with their catalogue beyond their most popular songs. I haven't listened to the them intentionally in probably ten years. Here are my thoughts on the new song:

The production absolutely reeks of Jeff Lynne. Sounds a lot like the stuff he produced for George Harrison, especially the distinctive jangle on the acoustic guitar. The overall aesthetic is weirdly anachronistic; it sounds like the Beatles doing guest vocals on a Traveling Wilburys album despite being written twenty years earlier and released twenty years later. Lynne has a very unique producer's fingerprint for sure.

The track itself is pretty solid. I like the primarily minor feel, I was worried there would be a big happy chorus to ruin the vibes. The strings are sparse and tasteful, the bassline is similarly understated, and the lead guitar really sounds like George, which is surreal.

It definitely lacks the immediacy and intimacy of their session work, but that's to be expected from what is essentially an overpolished b-side. I was also expecting a bit more complexity in the chord progressions, some tighter vocal harmonies, or a bit more personality in the melodies--something to make it sound more like the Beatles and less like a really good impression of the Beatles.

That being said I think it still mostly gets by on the vibe (in a good way), and it's worth a listen for the history alone.

6/10

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Takes No Damage posted:

Interested to hear it was AI / machine learning that let them do this. I've tried to separate audio stuff before with just frequency filtering and it kinda works but not really, being able to pull out a human voice cleanly is :stare:\
When deep AI audio stuff started coming out, my first thought was remasters of material from before the big audio breakthroughs of the later 60s and 70s. Hearing Louis Armstrong or Caruso or things like that in a more true to life way is going to be pretty cool

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Jeff Lynne is the cilantro, or maybe rosemary, of music production: a strong flavor, a bit of which goes a long way, but if you're a fan, it's like a party for the relevant senses

as for me, who still grins like an idiot when she hears "Mr. Blue Sky", I am left satisfied :yum:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I want to hear an AI-powered version of "It's Okay To Leave A Dog In A Hot Car" with their accurately-modeled voices that gets remixed to hell and back at every rave for the next twenty five years. Is that too much to ask?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

nice obelisk idiot posted:

When deep AI audio stuff started coming out, my first thought was remasters of material from before the big audio breakthroughs of the later 60s and 70s. Hearing Louis Armstrong or Caruso or things like that in a more true to life way is going to be pretty cool

We could easily see new stereo mixes of the Mamas and the Papas and Three Dog Night, which would be pretty good. The stereo mixes we have are hot garbage due to the original masters being lost ever since we moved beyond stereo being seen as a fad.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

We could easily see new stereo mixes of the Mamas and the Papas and Three Dog Night, which would be pretty good. The stereo mixes we have are hot garbage due to the original masters being lost ever since we moved beyond stereo being seen as a fad.

Same for the first 2 Beatles records, which have horrible fake "stereo" versions due to the way they were recorded. At the time they only had 4 tracks so they had to keep combining things together to play more than 4 sounds at once, which then made them impossible to separate again for a proper stereo mix.

I put on last year's Revolver remaster that was done using this same separation technology and it sounds slick as hell.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Takes No Damage posted:

Same for the first 2 Beatles records, which have horrible fake "stereo" versions due to the way they were recorded. At the time they only had 4 tracks so they had to keep combining things together to play more than 4 sounds at once, which then made them impossible to separate again for a proper stereo mix.

I put on last year's Revolver remaster that was done using this same separation technology and it sounds slick as hell.

Not even that - it was a 2-track BTR tape machine!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
im a huge beatles fan. like listened to their entire discog a hundred times over + all the solo poo poo, good and bad, after. im of the opinion that paul + john have created some of the greatest musical works of all time. my rating for this song is 6/10 and that it didnt need to be made

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i could have done what they did but i just didn't happen to be born in liverpool at the right time

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mozi posted:

i could have done what they did but i just didn't happen to be born in liverpool at the right time

You were cursed to have been born in Liverpool in the 1870s and perished as a dock worker building the world's most indestructible cruise liner. We get it. You can stop bringing it up in every thread.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
at least i know my labours did achieve a monumental lasting success for mankind

or at least i presume so, i don't read the news

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The music video just dropped and its absolutely atrocious lmao. They should have listened when Jackson said he couldn't do music videos. WTF is going on with those John Lennon bits where he doesn't match up to whats going on at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

E: Its such a nice simple song, all they had to do was throw on some old footage with it and it wold be great, it annoys me so much they did this.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 3, 2023

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Annabel Pee posted:

E: Its such a nice simple song, all they had to do was throw on some old footage with it and it wold be great, it annoys me so much they did this.

Yeah, it might've been better for them to just use some old video of them all playing together. Seeing the same Beatle from different eras dancing with each other is cheesy.

I do like Ringo wearing a shirt with his own face on it (Ringo has always been my favorite).

William Bear fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 3, 2023

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

it’s not going to hit number 1 because it’s definitely not anywhere near the best beatles songs, and those probably wouldn’t hit number 1 nowadays anyway, but it’s still a nicely written song and given the lyrics and feel of it i can see why paul wanted to release it as the ‘last one’. as that, it works quite well, i think.

also apparently paul played that slide guitar solo, but to be fair his george harrison impression is very very good

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I was expecting the song to be bad (not sure why); instead, I’d say it was firmly okay.

I do think if John Lennon had lived a normal human lifespan, the Beatles would be thought of more like the Rolling Stones are now: an influential and very popular band from the 60s/70s.

Ditto with Kurt Cobain, if he were still around I imagine Nirvana would be regarded more like, I dunno, the Smashing Pumpkins.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Who the gently caress are the Beatles?

I have at least a couple of Gen Z friends who, while they have heard the name “The Beatles”, they couldn’t name a song unprompted.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

The music video just dropped and its absolutely atrocious lmao. They should have listened when Jackson said he couldn't do music videos. WTF is going on with those John Lennon bits where he doesn't match up to whats going on at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

I just saw this video and it is truly off-putting. John Lennon looks demonic. The music is forgettable but not as bad as I expected.

I like the Beatles but they had so much filler on all of their albums. Revolver was 100% their best work imo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

goons love boomer music

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm about half through the song and feel like I get why it was never finished. Also, it has too much an ELO feel to it, but it doesn't go 'out there' enough for that and I don't think it fits for that. It feels overproduced to the point that I think there's a much better stripped down version hiding in there. It does NOT feel like a Beatles song, though.

I liked the McCartney/Beck "Find My Way" collab last year a lot more, to be honest. That one somehow manages to feel both completely modern and also feels like it could have completely fit in with Paul's 70s or Beck's 90s content of the time.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'd have thought Jackson was too busy trying to get labour protections overturned here, or shutting down desperately needed housing developments to do this.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pararoid posted:

I'd have thought Jackson was too busy trying to get labour protections overturned here, or shutting down desperately needed housing developments to do this.

Oooh tell me more about your hateboner for the lord of the rings guy that sounds way more fun than this

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^
I thought Jackson was the one who triggered the audits on the LotR movies to make sure everyone got paid? Maybe that was just his side of things though.

Annabel Pee posted:

That appears to be exactly what they did :confused: What the hell are you on abou... Oh... oh no :(

I get what they were going for, bring them back together one last time, but it's like when they try to have a dead performer as a hologram on stage. There's just no right way to do that :ghost:

vvv
Big 'died before he could become the villain' vibes, and in interviews he was already an rear end in a top hat a lot of the time.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 4, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like the beatles but its more i just like a bunch of their songs and less "they were music gods who invented music". i think they made some great poo poo and some awful poo poo and if john hadn't gotten blown away, they probably would have gotten back to gether wrote a couple good or ok songs and then either split up again OR kept it going until they were gross and old like alot of muscians who lived past 28.

In that case John's death saved the Beatles' legacy. Their quitting when they started to run out of steam should have been an inspiration to all rock musicians.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oooh tell me more about your hateboner for the lord of the rings guy that sounds way more fun than this

Oh, it is!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/300403393/how-the-hobbit-law-weakened-workers-rights-to-appease-giant-hollywood-corporations

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

thanks do you have a version of this article written by someone who isn't completely insufferable

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The real music video for this should be nothing but footage of Beatles collectibles and merch, along with statistics of how many unique products were made from the band's IP during the decade they were together vs. each decade afterwards.

The final shot is of a limited DC Comics-themed Beatles Funko Pop collection for release Xmas 2023.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it should actually be footage of boomers ejaculating onto their boats and RVs

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It should be nothing but a tour of Graceland, just to confuse people.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Edward Mass posted:

The chorus gets me right in the feels, I tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

JediTalentAgent posted:

The real music video for this should be nothing but footage of Beatles collectibles and merch, along with statistics of how many unique products were made from the band's IP during the decade they were together vs. each decade afterwards.

Not to get too deep in the weeds, but the Beatles got super-shafted from merch at the height of Beatlemania from Seltaeb. Nine figures’ worth.