Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Impulsively deciding to jump on this. I've had so much trouble writing since I quit smoking pot, and I've been meaning to discipline myself into making it a daily habit so I don't get so hung up on perfectionism and worrying if I can execute what feels so cool in my head.

I have tonight to mull over whether I want to do my Sci-Fi comedy road novel idea, or my ancient aliens plus cowboys idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Decedent posted:

Hey thanks guys!
Is it ok if I just make a thread here in Creative Commons? I have this weird thing that used to bother me in school where I'd open a word document and just stare at it, but of some reason stupid text boxes seem more inviting. I mean it probably is so I'm just gonna do it since its gonna put pressure on me to write.

You are much braver than I

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Got nothing down yesterday because of some appointments and a helping of mental illness, so I'm considering today my first day. I'm going with my sci-fi road novel comedy, because the characters are the most fleshed out in my head and whenever my ADHD craves novelty and feels stuck I can pivot to some new absurd scene

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

It's going slow but by God I am squeezing blood from this stone

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The scene didn't work at all; it's a big red flag if even the one who wrote it thinks it's a big waste of time (I would have spent most of the chapter setting up this rigged game so my heroine could give a speech only for it to not work anyway). I stuffed it into my deprecated folder, so my word count for yesterday is now zero. I suppose knowing the wrong direction to go is technically progress. I'll do something else which will feel more significant and introduce a few important characters.

I also restarted, putting me at 250 words at the moment, but it's fun so far and I'm feeling much more motivated than I had in the past couple days.

Even if we're not making huge strides, we've made a commitment to try everyday which I find is making me think more and more about my story while I am away from the keyboard and wanting to actually express it. 50,000 words at the end of this month would be nice, but I'd love to have a daily habit even more regardless of how many words it yields

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

i'm unemployed right now :unsmith:

:same:

I will say, being disabled has made me miss having a routine that breaks up the structure of my day- so I'm glad to be doing this as a way to make my days feel distinct and have something "going on" when my friends ask me

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

High five society-hates-us buddy. :unsmith:

In my case it's thanks to RSI from a previous job, meaning I have much lower thresholds for how long I can spend on a PC. Frustrating on days like today when I was on a roll and wanted to keep going, but can't.

I can't type, so I use the dictation feature that comes with the Microsoft office subscription. It's appreciably robust and you can even vocally input editing commands.

You can also dictate on Google docs, but in my experience it's less powerful / versatile.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

My main character is avoiding his obligations because he can't stop arguing with people in online forums. Write what you know!

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

i feel much less alone in my unemployment, thank you all :unsmith:

as for my own story, because i think it's neat:
i'm writing a progression fantasy, where the mc is the child of a child prodigy/once-in-a-generation mage who died when the mc was an infant, and whose father basically refused to talk about her. so there's two parallel stories, kinda: the MC's own journey, and learning the story of their mother through other people's stories about her. and the main character then also has to deal with the big expectations of being her child, but ultimately, not being her.

so far it's a lot of dialogue with family/family friends, switching between stories, ~magical education~, and reassurance that they'll be loved no matter what path they take. but it's a little light on conflict so far, ngl.

My Zen teacher has told me before that family karma is the most powerful and deeply felt in all of our lives, so I think learning the story of your family and finding your place in it Is something a lot of people can identify with and recognize the internal conflicts that come with that. Especially when there are expectations to live up to- It sounds like a great idea to me

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

My MC's backstory also has an influential dead parent (what a service dead parents have done for fiction writing), but instead of being considered heroic by the community he's a Martian Q-Anon type conspiracy theorist Who accuses his fellow colonists of being communists tasked with sabotage by the Catholic Church. He dies of stress induced cardiac arrest, but the MC believes it to be assassination and adopts his father's conspiratorial thinking, along with a unhealthy dose of American patriotism despite never living in America or even on earth.

This is all set up for him believing in hollow Earth theory andsearching for agartha on the payroll of a wealthy alien friend who believes Lord of the rings is real and wants to discover the cryptozoological elves and dwarves

Tea Party Crasher fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 6, 2023

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Oops accidentally quoted my own post instead of editing it lol

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Thank you for the suggestions. I've thought about why I'm not really feeling it and I think it's because my protagonist is looking for someone that she has a connection to that I've left intentionally vague. I hoped to leave myself some space to define this relationship later but it's actually resulted in me finding one of her main motivations kind of hollow.

I'm going to try writing some flashback chapters from the pov of this other character to flesh things out a bit

That's a smart idea. I chose the story I'm going with because I figured a comedy would allow me some looseness to radically shift into a new paradigm whenever I was getting bored. It sounds like you're taking a creative approach to being stuck so it sounds like you're still going strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I remember back when I used to write for hard drive I would tell people that my process was writing all of my ideas down and throwing away the 90% that didn't work so that I could refine that 10% that I actually liked.

We can write as much crap as we want because ultimately we're in control of the percentage of it that other people actually see.

Also to my fellow slowpokes, I hope to keep hearing from you. I'm not even over 2000 words yet but I'm going to keep at it everyday while I have my tea