Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Ither posted:

I've written ~7,000 words for a progression fantasy story I started recently. Going to add too that

The reverse NaNo seems fun, so I'll try that approach

nice, I have an outline for a progression fantasy story and a bunch of drawings of locations 8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

4280 words down. Done for the night. Glad I spent some time noodling and outlining before this. Even then, my lil progression fantasy magical system and setting has had upheavals.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 2: 3710 words

total: 7990 words

I'm pretty good at backloading stuff like this, but I fully expect it to droop down low within a week.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 3: 3350 words

total: 11341 words

today's words were devoted to a single conversation, but i'm really happy with it. was it all expository dialogue? yes

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 4: 3081 words

total: 14,442

still ahead of the linear goal, at least, even if the daily count is dropping fast.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 5: 4287 words

total: 18,709 words

slow start, but when it started, boy did it.
realized i really like writing dialogue.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

How do all of you with jobs and lives manage to keep going with this? I don't have a massive amount of responsibility compared to the average person, but even then I'm having real trouble fitting it in with even the minor responsibilities I do have.

i'm unemployed right now :unsmith:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i feel much less alone in my unemployment, thank you all :unsmith:

as for my own story, because i think it's neat:
i'm writing a progression fantasy, where the mc is the child of a child prodigy/once-in-a-generation mage who died when the mc was an infant, and whose father basically refused to talk about her. so there's two parallel stories, kinda: the MC's own journey, and learning the story of their mother through other people's stories about her. and the main character then also has to deal with the big expectations of being her child, but ultimately, not being her.

so far it's a lot of dialogue with family/family friends, switching between stories, ~magical education~, and reassurance that they'll be loved no matter what path they take. but it's a little light on conflict so far, ngl.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Tea Party Crasher posted:

My Zen teacher has told me before that family karma is the most powerful and deeply felt in all of our lives, so I think learning the story of your family and finding your place in it Is something a lot of people can identify with and recognize the internal conflicts that come with that. Especially when there are expectations to live up to- It sounds like a great idea to me

thank you, that's a good way to think about it.

day 6: 2106 words
total: 20,815 words

didn't have quite as much time today (got covid/flu shots today! my poor arms), but still finished more than i expected to.
also spent a couple hours reading/watching stuff about fighting and writing fight scenes, because i wanted a sparring scene, but my god, i have no idea how fighting works. i'm hoping, with time and practice, that writing them will feel a bit more natural.

and now i have a first draft of Act I, now and i'm fairly happy with it, brief sparring scene included.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 8: 2415 words
total: 23,230 words

zero words for yesterday due to post-shots sickness. i took a full-day nap and i feel better now, but whew yesterday sucked

also, for people looking for ways to keep track of characters and stuff, i really like using scrivener. i haven't used it before starting on this, but it's been really handy for keeping track of characters and places so far, and outlining/organization in general. I'm just using the free trial, but I'm already set on getting a license.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 9: 4827
total words: 28,057

did a lot of outlining and a couple scenes. hell yeah

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 10: 5029 words
total: 33,086

despite the word count, i ended up booting a whole chapter of material out, because I realized it was a really dull plot point, and absolutely unnecessary. like, oh here's where the main character has a part-time job that i am 100% going to ignore for the rest of this story.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 11: 4557 words
total: 37,643

today the group meets another group, some people stare longingly, and then they fight each other.
conflict!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

today: 4715 words
total: 42,358 words

i feel like i've barely started the story tho :negative:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 13: 3203 words
total: 45,561 words

i'm really happy with the last couple chapters. it was fun to write and surprisingly fun to re-read.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

today: 3568 words
total: 49,139 words

vibrating as i approach 50k, but ultimately the goal is to finish the actual book, so i'm shooting more for 100k

anyway the story's approaching a fun midpoint, and i made a dumb joke that i keep laughing at even though it's my own dumb joke

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

today: 3727 words
total: 52,866 words

well that's a goal met, at least. still got a lot of story to tell still, but i did a bunch of outlining for the next few chapters today too, and i'm really excited for where it'll go.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I am in awe of anyone writing more than 2k words a day, I just want people to know that. You are cool and I am jealous.

i have the unlimited power granted by unemployment and hyperfixation from untreated adhd in part because of ye olde unemployment

might as well put it to good use i guess!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Quote posted:

Congratulations! I'm amazed.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Congratulations! It's incredible that you've completed the 50,000 words in just half the time!

It's really cool to see people in the thread saying that they've written more on their projects than they ever had. That's fantastic! And for people struggling, you still have half the month left. You can still catch up and meet your goal!

thank you for the kind words!

day 16: 3247
total: 56,113

had the most galaxy brain idea i've ever had, and gave my sworddancer gogo boy character a job promotion into working at the progression fantasy tournament arc swords n sorcery version of a medieval times as a jobber

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 17: 4547 words
total: 60,660 words

felt less good about the chapters i worked on today. i think i kinda overcorrected into boring, after worrying that i was getting a bit too silly with some of the scenes.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 18: 4883
total: 65,543

wrote the big climax chapters, so now it's just a couple of denouement chapters left. I still have some scenes and two earlier chapters that i just outlined and glossed over, but it feels good to see it coming together.

and then the dreaded edit shall begin

Waffle! posted:

I'm proud of everyone for participating. Even if you don't finish, that's no reason to stop writing! I'm nowhere close to done, but I had a funny idea on how to wrap up my story and I've made lots of progress compared to last month.

I'm going to end with the last chapter calling back to the first one. One of the antagonists has a change of heart and meets an amazing woman... the werebear from the beginning in her human form. He doesn't know, lol

a werebear with a heart of gold :allears:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 19: 6232 words
total: 71, 775

instead of finishing glossed over chapters, I went back and redid much of the intro. It's now certifiably svelte, but a lot less boring. there are some things I might add back in later, but it's kind of fun to re-write something when you don't have to worry too much about figuring out plot beats.

still, i kicked out a bunch of material, but hey, words is words.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 20: 3306 words
total: 75,081 words

I'm editing and rewriting a bunch of stuff now, and it's flowing a lot better in my opinion and more interestingly, but it's been kinda rough watching the actual manuscript word count go down so drastically (<50k now lol) as i boot out material that just didn't quite fit any more. it's for the best, but still, oof. but now i have more room to put in scenes that fill out their personalities better and stuff, and more importantly, i have a much better grasp on their personalities now.

gotta give more props to scrivener, too; the interface is great for doing this kind of thing. i just wish the split-screen editor let me put more than two documents up at once.

fake edit: i just looked it up, and if you right click on a scene or whatever, you can go to open -> in copyholder, and it basically does just that.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 21: 5396 words
total: 80,477 words

deep in the re-write weeds now. i thought i'd end up re-using paragraphs a lot, but half the time i just have to rewrite them entirely. it's amazing how many goddamn dependencies pop up.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 22: 4377 words
total: 84,854 words

feeling very tired :negative:
i'm resistant about it, but i might skip tomorrow just to give myself some space from it. it's hard to judge what's good and what isn't right now, and i think if i step back a little and take some time away from it, it'll become clearer.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 23: 3893 words
total: 88,747 words

totally told myself i'd step back for a day, which lasted about half a day.
then i booted out a good 1000 words of what i wrote yesterday lol.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 24: 4386 words
total: 93,133 words

just have a couple more chapters to rewrite before i reach the climax chapters again.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Enchanted Hat posted:

:toot: :toot: :toot: Just crossed 50,000! :toot: :toot: :toot:

The story is still not done, there is quite a lot of plot left, but now I will take it easy and probably finish this draft sometime in December. Now let's see some more nanowrimo winners!

GarbiTheGlitchress posted:

Day 25: 1682

Total: 50012!

Met my goal today! Started working on a new fanfic, about Gitaroo Man. Think I'll still try to at least get 1000 words a day, but also work on editing more.

congrats to both of you!! :peanut:

day 25: 4000 words EXACTLY
total: 97,133 words

feeling very tired as the month approaches its end. :sadpeanut:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 26: 6566
total: 103,699

passed the 100k threshold. whew.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 27: 5053
total: 108,752

after i finished writing i sat down and thought about some more character development goals and realized that one of the mains needs to change a bunch :negative:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 28: 4785 words
total: 113,537 words

Xalidur posted:

I have done it. Cranked out 3286 words today despite working and D&D to finish two days early.

That makes my seventh conservative Nanowrimo completion.

Now I can rest and never write anything again, until I remember that I should actually get around to finishing the book one of these years.

hell yeah good job 8)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 29: 7245 words
total: 120,782 words

well if nothing else, i've discovered that i can write pretty consistently, so that's cool.
unfortunately i realized that a main plot-progression-vehicle i built up is both boring to read and totally unenjoyable to write lol. welp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 30: 5805 words
total: 126,587 words

that was, without a doubt, intensely better than i ever thought i could do. i expected it turn into nothing but unhappiness and frustration somewhere in the middle, but honestly? i had a lot of fun the whole way through :shrug:

i still have a lot of work to do to finish writing this thing, and i've learned a lot over the last month, but the most important thing i learned is that i am pretty alright at banging stuff out. that counts for something, i guess!