Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
We're doing Nanowrimo again!

What is Nanowrimo?

Nanowrimo is an annual event where people around the world sign up to write 50,000 words for a creative project of their choice in the month of November.

Why?

Because how else are you going to actually finish something?

What kind of lunatic would do this?

Writing 50,000 words in a month is very tough, but it’s a great way to get motivated to sit down and write something. Some people start a completely new project and try to finish it during the month, others use it as a way to work on neglected writing projects. There are no rules as long as you get your 50,000 words done!

Nanowrimo community

https://nanowrimo.org/

There’s a dedicated Nanowrimo website where you can sign up your Nanowrimo project and track your progress during the month. You can also add other people as Nanowrimo buddies so you can spy on them to see how well they’re keeping up. Here’s the link to my profile:

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/enchanted-hat

Post in the thread if you are also doing Nanowrimo this year! I find that it really helps to tell people about it so you can establish that accountability. It may also help to make you totally insufferable if you overdo it, but when it comes to Nanowrimo, you've got to do what it takes.

This year, I'm doing a classic, no-frills, full-neckbeard high fantasy story. What are you guys writing this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

It is now November in Europe, so Nanowrimo is on! Good luck, everyone!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Day one, 1928 words. Good enough!

By the way, I would strongly recommend everyone to back up your stuff at least every couple of days. We've seen some goons lose their drafts in previous years, and it's just so depressing when you've worked very hard on it. I just dump daily versions on Google Drive.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Reached 10,000 today. I'm 1/5th of the way there!

I'm doing a completely new story rather than continuing one of my Nanowrimo novel series, and I'm still getting used to this new main character and figuring out how to write him. He's definitely growing on me, though, and I think this story is going to turn out nicely!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I don't think I like my story very much. I'm having a hard time writing because I don't really care about what happens, but it feels too late to change course

It would be really difficult to switch now if you want to write one continuous story for nanowrimo. But if you're not liking the story, you could start writing something new and do 40,000 words for the new project and still count the 10,000 words from the old story.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

19,000 words--still going well!

As I started writing, I realised that the scene I wrote yesterday is way too weird and feels completely out of place in the story, so I'll probably have to scrap it. But I'm still going to keep it in the document for now to beef up my word count!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

today: 3727 words
total: 52,866 words

well that's a goal met, at least. still got a lot of story to tell still, but i did a bunch of outlining for the next few chapters today too, and i'm really excited for where it'll go.

i have the unlimited power granted by unemployment and hyperfixation from untreated adhd in part because of ye olde unemployment

might as well put it to good use i guess!

Congratulations! It's incredible that you've completed the 50,000 words in just half the time!

It's really cool to see people in the thread saying that they've written more on their projects than they ever had. That's fantastic! And for people struggling, you still have half the month left. You can still catch up and meet your goal!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Day 17: 518
Total: 18,250

My mental health is taking an absolute battering at the moment and I'm just hoping this is a lull. Everything I'm writing is an absolute mess and I hate it, it's nonsense.

Please also make sure to take care of yourself! You've already written nearly 20,000 words, which is really impressive. If you need to take a little more time, it's really not a big deal. And there will be plenty of time to edit and improve what you've written after November.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

:toot: :toot: :toot: Just crossed 50,000! :toot: :toot: :toot:

The story is still not done, there is quite a lot of plot left, but now I will take it easy and probably finish this draft sometime in December. Now let's see some more nanowrimo winners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

So with November now over, congratulations to all the people who met their goals! You can now take it easy and spend the next eleven months talking about the novel you wrote~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was wondering, now everyone has hit / exceeded / doubled their goal, do we keep updating this thread? Is it okay to update later if someone - like E Depois - decides to later publish? Or if - like quote, tarnop & myself - we've spread it over 2 months for personal reasons, is that ok to keep doing the totals?

Absolutely! Feel free to keep posting about the projects you worked on for Nanowrimo. I myself still need to write the last chapter of my Nanowrimo story, so I still have a little more work to do.