Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I've been working on an epic fantasy for almost exactly a year, and in that time I've produced a very barebones and terrible 50k-word rough draft, 50k+ of the next draft (projected length: 150-200k words), and probably 30k words of test scenes, chapters that don't have a place in the chronology yet, notes, summaries, and outlines. This is not counting redrafting of existing chapters, and I'll note that I lost a couple months to Tears of the Kingdom. I've been on a roll with this project (still obsessed a year in despite my raging ADHD) and I'd like to keep it up or better yet, increase my rate of production.

Last November, I wrote 38k words in that initial draft and I wasn't holding myself to a Nanowrimo goal or anything. This November, I'd like to try to beat that count and produce 50k words worth of wholly new content for this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I started taking notes on my progress but the daily counts gets fuzzy because I'm a night owl and usually write a bunch after midnight, and then the whole last week and change was kinda miserable for me and some days I didn't write anything and other days I wrote a lot, so finally reporting:

Nov 1-2: 1236
Nov 3-4: 1404
Nov 5: 1800
Nov 6-18: 10,967

For a total of 15,407 words so far, which is way behind where I wanted to be. Buuuut I'm taking all of Thanksgiving week off which means I'll have some time to sit down and write while also not fretting about work, which will be nice. So hopefully I'll be able to catch up and maybe actually hit 50k or at least beat what I managed last November (38k towards the previous draft of what I'm currently working on).

The words I'm writing are pretty drat shoddy and I think most it will need to be wholly rewritten before I share it with anyone, but the huge upside of forcing out words regardless of quality is that it means I'm forging ahead into some new areas of the story that I hadn't written in before and getting closer to some of the scenes that have been bouncing around in my head for quite a while now.