Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
9287 for the first 5 days. I’m feeling pretty positive!

I’ve been working a lot on finding a work-flow that works for me. I know I need an outline, but beyond that the last few projects have been shelved because I get stuck after the first draft. So this time I’ve tried moving straight to the 2nd draft after only writing the first act, heavily re-outlining based on the first draft synopsis.
It's been a lot of work (20k word re-outline for a single act, yikes), but it has finally given me the breathing room to move past the rigidly chronological, over-narrating travelogue writing style that has annoyed me so much. I feel like I finally “get” scenes, and scene-transitions. It allowed me to put in a “leitmotif” scene, scenes out of chronological order, and even flashbacks!
My prose may still be crap, but honestly figuring out how to structure the narrative in this way has felt a bigger and more important hurdle to clear.

Ovenmaster fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
Just finished Day 10. Still going strong!

Day's work: 1866 words.
Total: 18342 words.

Feeling more and more assured that the painstaking work I put into the 2nd draft outline was actually worth the effort. The story feels much more cohesive.
Currently a bit over half way through the 1st act, so it's going to be a chunky boy, but far short of the 50k. I'll have to first draft some of the 2nd act for the remainder.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
Day 29: 1438 words.
Total: 50.157 words.

I spilled over into material that wasn't that well outlined, which resulted in me losing steam as I entered the last week. Luckily I had a significant buffer, so I completed the 50k a day early. 3rd succesful NaNoWriMo in a row :toot: