Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

If you're making the shape by scaling the rings on a cylinder, the top will look weird because it has lots of vertices in the same position. If you use the "merge by distance" node it should merge them into 1 vertex and fix the weird normals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Campfire Company

The people look a little bit more creepy than intended but worked out ok I think

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Komojo posted:

If you're making the shape by scaling the rings on a cylinder, the top will look weird because it has lots of vertices in the same position. If you use the "merge by distance" node it should merge them into 1 vertex and fix the weird normals.

Nice!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

toiletbrush posted:

Campfire Company

The people look a little bit more creepy than intended but worked out ok I think

Is this an outer wilds homage?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

toiletbrush posted:

yeh this isn't a problem I solved, I just got it as close to ok as I could, and giving it a texture with some subsurface scattering hides most issues

what do you mean by normals looking weird?

i mean you end up having a ton of little tiny almost overlapping faces with normals pointing out radially. it always makes the shading look weird

Komojo posted:

but yeah this makes sense. its probably The Way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Campfire Company

awesome! ive been intimidated to even try a person in any of my nodevember prompts because it seems so difficult, but i think you nailed it for what youre going for here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im still 75% done with bubble bath but havent had any time at all to work on nodevember for the past couple days. that will change soon

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

work in progress on bubble bath. need to add the bubbles and fill it out a tiny bit more

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

distortion park posted:

Is this an outer wilds homage?
nah I never played it, its literally just the first image that popped in my head when I saw the prompt haha

fart simpson posted:

work in progress on bubble bath. need to add the bubbles and fill it out a tiny bit more

nice details, and your film grain/halation is real nice here too

fart simpson posted:

awesome! ive been intimidated to even try a person in any of my nodevember prompts because it seems so difficult, but i think you nailed it for what youre going for here
I've made a meta-balls type group that made it pretty easy - it's basically joined geometry -> volume -> mesh -> a bunch of smoothing iterations. Should come in handy for Softest Sofa.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the plants in the windowsill are recycled from board game binge and the trees outside are from lovely lake

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

I've made a meta-balls type group that made it pretty easy - it's basically joined geometry -> volume -> mesh -> a bunch of smoothing iterations. Should come in handy for Softest Sofa.

that makes sense. sound basically like an SDF, which are what metaballs use internally

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
So I tried making a hair shader using a repeat zone in geometry nodes, the upside is the amount of hair doesn't affect the amount of geometry, so you can have tons of it, but on the downside you need to set light-paths to 200+ steps and Cycles hates it and goes a bit nuts, it also takes about 1 second per render pass for this ball that has 20k polygons:

You can also do neat effects without needing much geometry, this has the same number of faces as the hair pic above:

But, it looks a bit rubbish and is missing a bunch of stuff that makes hair look like hair, so I'll go with geometry tricks instead. Sofa is looking mighty comfy though:

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Entering the final stretch...

Mall Mayhem

Campfire Company

Softest Sofa

Festive Fair

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
drat that texturing on the bears + sofa is great, is it just a bump map or is there more going on?

mall madness looks exactly like my local cinema

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

roller coaster is very pleasant

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

drat that texturing on the bears + sofa is great, is it just a bump map or is there more going on?

It's the same effect I used for my hedge maze, which is based on a hair/fur effect I came up with a while ago. I mainly created it to get faster rendering in Eevee but it works pretty well in Cycles.

It's actually made up of several layers that are parallel to the main surface. I used geometry nodes to duplicate the faces and shift them along the normal direction, then I set a color property for each layer that ranges from black to white. In the material shader, I'm using that color attribute for the alpha clipping threshold of a noise texture so it gets more transparent on the upper layers. There's also a bit of bump mapping based on the noise texture.

After I finish the last Nodevember render I might write some more in-depth tutorials here for how I did some of the effects.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's shell texturing, right?

do you use fake ambient occlusion in your shader by making the deeper layers darker, or do you rely on the actual shadows of the upper layers?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Komojo posted:

It's the same effect I used for my hedge maze, which is based on a hair/fur effect I came up with a while ago. I mainly created it to get faster rendering in Eevee but it works pretty well in Cycles.

It's actually made up of several layers that are parallel to the main surface. I used geometry nodes to duplicate the faces and shift them along the normal direction, then I set a color property for each layer that ranges from black to white. In the material shader, I'm using that color attribute for the alpha clipping threshold of a noise texture so it gets more transparent on the upper layers. There's also a bit of bump mapping based on the noise texture.

After I finish the last Nodevember render I might write some more in-depth tutorials here for how I did some of the effects.
Oh cool, that’s exactly what I did for my hair node above. Yours looks way better tho

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Softest Sofa

Got some variations cos I'm really not sure what I prefer

Gave up with hair shaders, so it doesn't look as soft as I wanted, but whatever

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

gummy couch

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

So I tried making a hair shader using a repeat zone in geometry nodes, the upside is the amount of hair doesn't affect the amount of geometry, so you can have tons of it, but on the downside you need to set light-paths to 200+ steps and Cycles hates it and goes a bit nuts, it also takes about 1 second per render pass for this ball that has 20k polygons:

You can also do neat effects without needing much geometry, this has the same number of faces as the hair pic above:

But, it looks a bit rubbish and is missing a bunch of stuff that makes hair look like hair, so I'll go with geometry tricks instead. Sofa is looking mighty comfy though:

isnt that shell texturing?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Komojo posted:

Entering the final stretch...

Mall Mayhem

Campfire Company

Softest Sofa

Festive Fair

all of these are good

how'd you do the fire? i cant figure fires out...

also i really like the roller coaster

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Softest Sofa

Got some variations cos I'm really not sure what I prefer

Gave up with hair shaders, so it doesn't look as soft as I wanted, but whatever

i like the colors in the original post best

also did you do that shell texturing thing again for the rug? the rug looks perfect

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

finally had an hour to finish bubble bath

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i made a little person with signed distance fields that sorta looks ok if you squint enough

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i made a little person

we call them tori's now

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Wheany posted:

do you use fake ambient occlusion in your shader by making the deeper layers darker, or do you rely on the actual shadows of the upper layers?

No ambient occlusion, but there is bump mapping from a displacement node.

fart simpson posted:

how'd you do the fire? i cant figure fires out...

The fire is just a noise texture with some distortion hooked up to a color ramp node. I experimented with volumetric material but ended up just using a 2D texture. To make the edges fade out, I made a circular pattern using the distance to a fixed point hooked up to a map range node, then multiplied that by the noise texture.

It took a bit of fine-tuning to get it to look nice. The fire is emitting light onto the scene, but it wasn't bright enough so I also added an orange spotlight.

The trick to making it look brighter is to add a glow effect in the compositor. Use a brightness/contrast node with clamping enabled to isolate the bright spots, apply a blur filter and then add that to the un-blurred image.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why not just use the fog glow glare node?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
^^^ Real nice final image, Fart

fart simpson posted:

also did you do that shell texturing thing again for the rug? the rug looks perfect
no I couldn't get it to look decent, so I went with real geometry. I also decided the sofa didn't actually look soft so I made it fluffy too

This absolutely murdered my laptop.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

toiletbrush posted:

no I couldn't get it to look decent, so I went with real geometry. I also decided the sofa didn't actually look soft so I made it fluffy too

ok, yeah, that's a soft sofa

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i made a little person with signed distance fields that sorta looks ok if you squint enough

I think I know where this is going and I salute your efforts

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

I think I know where this is going and I salute your efforts

i was getting stuck and frustrated with that one so i moved on to campfire company. i will return to the mall eventually

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1093004633313660960/1179217940642529361/campfire_company.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i tried doing a 2d thing like komojo did and i couldnt figure out how to make it work, like at all. so i ended up throwing a musgrave texture into an emission volumetric with a bunch of other animated noises and animated masks

i made the stones with brick and noise textures offsetting the normals on a highly subdivided sphere

and the logs in the fire i made with rounded cone SDFs with voronoi subtraction

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

this is the one

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://files.catbox.moe/lk9ocj.mp4
made a quick one for Beach Business

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hell yeah, nice!

what did you do for the waves? they look good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

thanks, they’re just a wave texture with some distortion applied to a grid , simplest thing possible

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/lk9ocj.mp4
made a quick one for Beach Business
That's really cool, I wish the animation was longer!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Beach Business

Technically cheating because I used an image as a texture, but technically that was done in Blender too so maybe its ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

That's really cool, I wish the animation was longer!

it loops perfectly, don’t know how to get the host to loop it tho and Imgur is completely nonfunctional for me