Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

They really picked a difficult one for the first prompt, didn't they?

I can't decide whether I want to do something realistic or stylized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

If you make a group node that outputs a value, it will change everything that uses the group when you update it.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I've barely had any time for this, but here's what I was able to come up with in a few hours:

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Arcade Adventure

Lovely Lake

It's not cheating if you use the built-in sky texture that come with Blender. :colbert:

Chaotic Cooking

Why didn't I think of fractals?

Museum Maze

Mountaineering Mission

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

The view rotation can sometimes get weird if the center of rotation isn't where you're trying to edit. If you select an object (or part of an object in edit mode) and press the "." key, it should center the view around your selection.

The empty rendering sounds like it could be a problem with the clipping distance. There is one setting for the viewport and then another separate setting in the camera properties.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Weird Wardrobe

Boardgame Binge

By far the quickest and easiest one to make, yet I think it might be my favorite.

Sailing Story

Bubble Bath

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

those are all great, Weird Wardrobe is probably my fave, how did you do it?

This what the shirts look like before subdivision:

Each arm has a switch that toggles whether or not it extrudes a rectangle.

I was trying to set it up to be randomized, but this method doesn't work for some reason. This is actually one of several frustrating things in the geometry nodes that seems like it should work but doesn't behave the way I expect.
Instead, I just made separate input for the arms in the geometry node modifier and toggled them by hand.

I also shifted the hue and grid size for the material based on the object index, similar to what I did for "Museum Maze."

It would also be nice if I could randomize the object positions in the geometry nodes, but I don't know if there's an easy way to do that other than placing a bunch of group nodes. I just made separate objects that I placed by hand and then ran a cloth simulation. I'm going to say that counts as procedurally generated.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

If you're making the shape by scaling the rings on a cylinder, the top will look weird because it has lots of vertices in the same position. If you use the "merge by distance" node it should merge them into 1 vertex and fix the weird normals.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Entering the final stretch...

Mall Mayhem

Campfire Company

Softest Sofa

Festive Fair

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

drat that texturing on the bears + sofa is great, is it just a bump map or is there more going on?

It's the same effect I used for my hedge maze, which is based on a hair/fur effect I came up with a while ago. I mainly created it to get faster rendering in Eevee but it works pretty well in Cycles.

It's actually made up of several layers that are parallel to the main surface. I used geometry nodes to duplicate the faces and shift them along the normal direction, then I set a color property for each layer that ranges from black to white. In the material shader, I'm using that color attribute for the alpha clipping threshold of a noise texture so it gets more transparent on the upper layers. There's also a bit of bump mapping based on the noise texture.

After I finish the last Nodevember render I might write some more in-depth tutorials here for how I did some of the effects.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Wheany posted:

do you use fake ambient occlusion in your shader by making the deeper layers darker, or do you rely on the actual shadows of the upper layers?

No ambient occlusion, but there is bump mapping from a displacement node.

fart simpson posted:

how'd you do the fire? i cant figure fires out...

The fire is just a noise texture with some distortion hooked up to a color ramp node. I experimented with volumetric material but ended up just using a 2D texture. To make the edges fade out, I made a circular pattern using the distance to a fixed point hooked up to a map range node, then multiplied that by the noise texture.

It took a bit of fine-tuning to get it to look nice. The fire is emitting light onto the scene, but it wasn't bright enough so I also added an orange spotlight.

The trick to making it look brighter is to add a glow effect in the compositor. Use a brightness/contrast node with clamping enabled to isolate the bright spots, apply a blur filter and then add that to the un-blurred image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

One final slightly incomplete render, for Beach Business

Yeah, I had the same idea.