Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Walter fills a role that’s in basically every Armored Core game of the player’s mission control operator. The Operator character is the one who arranges mission contracts from the player, and then keeps an eye on them while they’re out in missions, providing mission-critical updates or information for the protagonist. Generally, this role is filled by a female character, with notable examples being Lana Nielsen from Master of Arena, Nell Aulter from Armored Core 2 or Fiona Jardenfelt from Armored Core 4. Walter is one of the rare male operators in the franchise, and shares a lot of similar characteristics to Emil Gustav from Armored Core 4 as well.

Interestingly enough, that's two games in a row with a male main handler, since Verdict Day all those years ago had the main voice on your radio be Fatman, a man of about the same age as Walter.

Of course, Fatman was a jolly and friendly figure who had a reputation for always keeping his mercenaries alive. Walter... seems to be taking a different approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Interestingly enough, that's two games in a row with a male main handler, since Verdict Day all those years ago had the main voice on your radio be Fatman, a man of about the same age as Walter.

Of course, Fatman was a jolly and friendly figure who had a reputation for always keeping his mercenaries alive. Walter... seems to be taking a different approach.

That's the thing, V/Verdict Day is my weak spot in the franchise. After V's crap I was like "gently caress this, I'm out, FROM's lost the plot, they just wanna make Souls games forever now" and didn't even play Verdict Day.

Or at least I don't even remember playing Verdict Day if I did, that's how little staying power it had.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've been playing the game on and off so I haven't finished it (I feel like I need to be in the right mood to enjoy it), so this LP will be a good incentive to stay ahead of it.

My request is that once you've unlocked both reverse joint legs and the gatling guns, make the chickenleg dual-gatling build work.
For extra credit, shoulder slots should be occupied by the heaviest dumbfire explosives you can equip (no tracking); however, overburdening yourself is too pointlessly cruel, so no need to do that.

Edit: colours: It's NERF or nothing! All weapons must be believable as NERF weapons.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 29, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That's the thing, V/Verdict Day is my weak spot in the franchise. After V's crap I was like "gently caress this, I'm out, FROM's lost the plot, they just wanna make Souls games forever now" and didn't even play Verdict Day.

Or at least I don't even remember playing Verdict Day if I did, that's how little staying power it had.

I think you'd remember if you had. Verdict Day was a massive step up from V overall. I'd still say it was one of the weaker games in the series, but it's a decent enough time, with a neat final boss fight.

That said, the non-AC non-boss levels really show the limited roster of enemies, which makes some of the missions really blend together. Similarly, the levels have less detail than V, which is a mixed bag. (Less slowing the game down, and clearer objectives, but also less visual interest.)

I can't say that I'd recommend it overall, but I don't regret playing it, and if someone was planning to go through the series overall I'd say it's worth including in the run.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'd say ac6 could have used a little more reoccurence available enemies overall,

Some of the trash enemies only show up in like one level and can be forgettable if you just boost past them.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

make a mad cat

i found this pic an share code on reddit, idk what platform the code is for though

YDLSY02QNZDM

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
You were asking where Walter is? Clearly, he is actually in a totally different mech series

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Looking forward to seeing this.

Saw a youtuber do a runthrough of the game, but they completely ignored all the plot and characters and their relationships to focus on shooty stuff.

edit: drat the subtitles in this game are terrible. White text on snowy backgrounds.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 29, 2023

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Since you don't mind mechs from slightly later in the game. I'll have to make adjustments to...'the brick', the 'big mech', often derided as 'Mc Donald's strongest warrior.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OddObserver posted:

You were asking where Walter is? Clearly, he is actually in a totally different mech series

Are you sure? I heard he was working as a chemistry teacher.

But then, there are rumors that guy has connections in the drug business, and I'm sure our upstanding handler would never try anything that shady.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

nine-gear crow posted:

V sucked rear end in general, so I don't blame you if you skipped out on Verdict Day. Which is a shame, because while Verdict Day still suffered from a number of Gen 5's inherent problems, it genuinely was way way better than V. It's not top tier stuff, but I'd argue that it's still at least worth checking out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I have no idea if it's possible, but make a heavily armed watermelon. Preferably no legs, just rolling (or hovering, if you're a coward) around spreading refreshing summer vibes, and death.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only request is to make the Guntank build at some point. Just driving around on tank treads carrying two big guns and a pair of railguns on the back, and letting whatever deities are worshiped on Rubicon sort things out later.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Here's a mech frame idea; A core of your choice, but you need to plaster it with BAWS decals (both big and small) and name it "Like a BAWS".
And it must be referred as such whenever it comes up.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

My only request is to make the Guntank build at some point. Just driving around on tank treads carrying two big guns and a pair of railguns on the back, and letting whatever deities are worshiped on Rubicon sort things out later.

I see your Guntank and raise you the Hildolfr:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the things I really like about a lot of the early mission design is that it subtly goes "hey, buddy, you should probably do that multilock thing." It encourages you to remember this by spreading around a bunch of the little crappo choppers and ATST looking things, which don't even get tagged as MTs when you kill them, just "generic weapon." And it puts them in groups of four. Which is exactly how many targets you can lock on to with the missile launcher it knows you're carrying, because what the gently caress else are you going to mount on that hardpoint? And it's not like you've removed it for weight, right?

As for builds, I've only really got two I'd like to see at this point. One is "laser pistol in the right hand, left hand is either another laser pistol or your choice of melee weapon, best laser-boosting generator you can get, rest is at your discretion," and the other is "four missile launchers (your choice on specifics) with the best missile FCS you've got, rest is up to you."

I have share codes I could dig out, but :effort:, and I think it'll still be fun to give you some vague directions and see what comes out the other end. :v:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Slaan posted:

Laser x 4 while perma hovering on quads is where it's at

More specifically, 2x VP66LH laser handguns and 2x VP60LCS on quad legs with a medium range targeting computer. Got me through my first run pretty well

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Challenge mode: Design with only a single weapon. You chose what weapon, but only one.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Is it possible to make a robot that is either very big, or very small? All the parts we've seen looked roughly the same size

Failing that, a robot that is very wide or very long

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Brutal Garcon posted:

Is it possible to make a robot that is either very big, or very small? All the parts we've seen looked roughly the same size

The mech's will be close in size except for the legs, you can get big chonky tank treads for your legs, or be a quad mech with big spiderboi legs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's not that much variation in part size but there is in...chunkyness? Generally parts are appropriately voluminous for their mass , so you can for example have big thick legs and skinny core and arms. The inverse is trickier since total weight capacity depends on your legs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

I can't do anything with the overall size of the AC, but I can do a very wide and long boy, yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also fair warning: if I'm forced to take a... wonting design into a Boss fight, I am not above resorting to cheating to make it work. You will get a death reel of normal game failures as recompense though. And probably a "here's how you beat this boss normally" crack at it as well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to see you use the napalm launcher because I've never seen or heard of anyone using it but I think it actually does really high damage in the right situation.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

biosterous posted:

make a mad cat

i found this pic an share code on reddit, idk what platform the code is for though

YDLSY02QNZDM

My targeting system is having trouble identifying this AC. For some reason it keeps flickering between "MAD" and "CAT"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

nine-gear crow posted:

Also fair warning: if I'm forced to take a... wonting design into a Boss fight, I am not above resorting to cheating to make it work. You will get a death reel of normal game failures as recompense though. And probably a "here's how you beat this boss normally" crack at it as well.

The great filter spares no man.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The great filter spares no man.

I've come to call it the "You pricks made me fight Balteus with nothing but a hand gun :mad:" contingency.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It would bring me immense joy if you built something that looked like Megatron from G1 Transformers. With the biggest goddamn cannon you can.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I've come to call it the "You pricks made me fight Balteus with nothing but a hand gun :mad:" contingency.

Honestly a double kinetic pistols double laser pistols build can probably trash the hell out of him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Sindai posted:

I want to see you use the napalm launcher because I've never seen or heard of anyone using it but I think it actually does really high damage in the right situation.

I've used it, one thing about it is that due to no friendly fire, just drop it at your feet as someone comes in to bust your skull, they get lit on fire and you can chill.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I wanna point out how Dark Souls, Sekiro and AC6 have a very similar opening shot with a hole in the ceiling and you have to climb your way up

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
This fucker got me through most of the later game, I've tweaked it a little so its parts list is a bit more doable in an LP context.

GLKD8CUEE1ZM

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey Crow will you be doing like ratings and opinions of peoples ACs you pilot?

I want my sad choices to be critiqued by you on youtube.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Lone Badger posted:

Challenge mode: Design with only a single weapon. You chose what weapon, but only one.

Boxing can be scarily effective

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

It would bring me immense joy if you built something that looked like Megatron from G1 Transformers. With the biggest goddamn cannon you can.

I've seen a couple of really good Megatrons out there, sadly none of them have sharecodes and the only one that does looks really sketch compared to stuff like this

Gridlocked posted:

Hey Crow will you be doing like ratings and opinions of peoples ACs you pilot?

I want my sad choices to be critiqued by you on youtube.

CJ and I might do some sort of arbitrary letter-based ranking after each mission or set of missions based on the build. I dunno.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Boxing can be scarily effective

Would shields count as a weapon? a nice back punisher, shield, and glorious fisticuffs would be a BUILD to use.

After all you can filter the filter with only your bare metal fists

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
First a request for an early mission using...admitably at least one piece of late game gear but it shouldn't be too spoiler-y.

There is an...anime protagonist that needs to be given the traditional armor core greeting. Send 2K8NUV3Q2274 to welcome him to the team. I'm sure he'll find his own call sign.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Godna posted:

First a request for an early mission using...admitably at least one piece of late game gear but it shouldn't be too spoiler-y.

There is an...anime protagonist that needs to be given the traditional armor core greeting. Send 2K8NUV3Q2274 to welcome him to the team. I'm sure he'll find his own call sign.

I don't know what this one is going to be, but it has rocketed to the top of the build request file just based on the mission requested.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I aim to please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My true love is still "Single full auto machinegun". And bazookas, now that they fixed them to not be so slow they will miss a staggered in the air target. But you can throw a machinegun on a lot more builds.

The first tiny MG is also really great because the recoil is so low it works with one of the most popular options. "poo poo recoil, maximum melee!". Well, that and it has more than two MT kills worth of ammo per magazine. There is a popular burst fire one that is great on paper, and is the only machinegun you can dual wield without absurd crosshair spread. I hate it because it holds six bursts, and you need three to kill a basic MT. "One MT kill, one tiny drone kill, one MT-gently caress" :argh:

We probably won't see a lot of machinegun use in the LP because they are very, very basic. But they have been solid guns for basically the entire franchise, and I am glad a simple robot UZI remains amazing against super prototypes. "Why the gently caress would I use a Pulse gun I already have a REAL gun that works great against their gimmick"

Captain Foo posted:

the Harris is a solid weapon, the Curtis less so.

nine-gear crow posted:

One of my venial sin in this game is repeatedly putting the Curtis on builds trying to see if it'll prove useful against something and coming up empty every time. The secret is it works okay if you charge it up, but who the gently caress has the time to charge a shot with that piece of poo poo?

Harris users in PvP where we both miss eachother, and then I shoot them with another curtis charge shot as they boost directly at me without dodging is probably not helping my biases for "Curtis is pretty sweet!"

Cons: Obviously weaker at everything.
Pros: Lower drain for my obsession with high energy efficiency stat. Can fire two charged shots without overheating if you wait all of one second between shots.

Shei-kun posted:

From what people have shown, Megatron builds love bazookas, so I got another reason to love megatron builds :buddy: