Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

ruddiger posted:

When they showed his second alias I joked he’d use George Jefferson and Bart Simpson too and was disappointed I only got one of them.

Using Lou Grant, from a show that ended when Michael Fassbender was 5 years old was pretty random too. If this was the kind of movie where the police did investigations that's the sort of dumb poo poo that gets you caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I listened to The Smiths all the time I'd probably kill people too.

It fit perfectly with the character.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn’t love it, and I have a lot of respect for the people involved

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Fassbender played the character as a hyper-competent dipshit and I thought that was just great. The constant narration was important because without that we just have a hitman who fucks up and then tries to fix things (and hey, I'm not about to say bad things about Le Samourai), but with it we get a character who isn't nearly as intelligent or in control as he thinks he is and is constantly engaging in self-delusion, while still managing to be pretty drat great at what he does. He's not dissimilar to the protagonist from Fight Club in a lot of ways.

Honestly I think the entire movie's effectiveness hinges on whether the hitman's shtick hits you as funny or annoying.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“Ahh, the Sunshine State. Where else can you find so many like-minded individuals, outside of a penitentiary?”

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 14, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CeeJee posted:

Using Lou Grant, from a show that ended when Michael Fassbender was 5 years old was pretty random too. If this was the kind of movie where the police did investigations that's the sort of dumb poo poo that gets you caught.

I dunno, I know the theme is about how he's more of a fuckup than he thinks but a bunch of random murders/poisonings/'accidents' across a bunch of random countries probably isn't gonna get him caught because the name on his passport is from a decades old sitcom

Like the zodiac got away with it because cops is neighboring counties wouldn't even work together lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I realize this movie is not for everybody, but I quite enjoyed it.

There is so much humor. The “gently caress!” in the opening scene. His incorrect prediction on how long it would take three nails to the chest to kill his handler. His aliases all being from old sitcoms. The cheese grater. “When was the last time I had a nice, quiet drowning?”

A lot of this stuff was straight out of a Barry episode.

I wouldn’t put it in my top three Finchers, but I liked it a lot.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 14, 2023

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Others have pointed it out, and its a theme in the source material as well:

even though he's narrating about how much of a competent killer is and that he doesn't give a gently caress: we are immediately shown that not only is he not as competent as he thinks he is, he also extremely gives a gently caress about things. His whole "I belong to no country, no flag" ethos goes right out the window once someone close to him is hurt. The comedy comes from him trying to keep up this illusion, and repeating his method and plan and just actively going against it at almost every turn. Tilda Swinton's speech is a direct confrontation of the narrative he tells himself. Killing her to tie up loose ends is a lie that he's telling himself and the real reason he's there, and that he'd even risk such a direct encounter is because his pride was hurt and he spends the entire movie trying to act like that's not the case and it's extremely obvious it is. It's about a dude who thinks he's Agent 47 and in reality he's just a regular guy who also happens to be really good at murdering people.

My only negative with this movie is that I wish Trent Reznor's OST was more prominent but I got a kick out of the guys meditation music being morrisey lmao

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghosthotel posted:

My only negative with this movie is that I wish Trent Reznor's OST was more prominent but I got a kick out of the guys meditation music being morrisey lmao
I liked that Trent & Atticus' score was more subdued as sometimes it can be a little overwhelming (looking at you, Watchmen and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem…).

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

ShoogaSlim posted:

saw this last night in LA and went in with super high expectations since Fincher is my favorite director. he has some big swing-and-miss movies for me, but when he hits, he tends to knock it out of the park.

my expectations were, kinda sorta met but not really. basically, the movie works on a moment to moment cadence; each scene is gripping and i felt myself getting lost in the moment very often. but when the narrative takes a step back to remind you that there's an overarching point to it all, i'm reminded that there doesn't feel like there's a whole lot to grab onto when looked at from a wide angle.

i have a lot to say about this and i don't want to do random spoiler blocks, so i'll just spoil the entire rest of the post. don't read it unless you don't care about ending details, nitpicks, and specific praise.

the female romantic interest character is introduced but only barely. she's a plot device to provide the killer with motivation to go kill some "bad" people. we're never told why they're bad or why they are responsible for what happened. we're told by the killer that he has a strict set of rules he lives by in order to be the best at what he does, and part of that includes not taking anything personally and not trusting anyone. meanwhile the entire movie's plot hinges on him seeking out revenge for taking something personally bc he screwed up the job he's supposed to be so good at. it's disjointed thinking about it from an overview perspective.

each time the chapter changes and the killer is in a new city hunting down a new person, i found myself wrapped up in his craft and commitment and eagerly waiting to see how he would carry out his work. but then in between chapters i'm left thinking "why is he doing this?" even though i know why he's doing it, but i just don't feel the draw narratively.

the thing i keep bouncing around in my mind is something like: the killer is supposed to be meticulous and perfect, but we see him botch the mark in the beginning. then he goes out and gets revenge on all the people responsible for the attack on his love interest, and he proves that he's actually capable of doing the things he talked about. in the end, he spares the client. why? was all of this some ploy/excuse to get rid of the people in the organization that would come after him if he just wanted to quit regularly? was all of this some setup and part of his perfect plan all along? either that or he supposedly found empathy in the end? the latter feels less probably than the former, but the movie doesn't put any work into giving us a good idea of which (or neither) it might be.

as for a filmmaking perspective, the sound design is good, but there's one part where the killer is in a car and scratches his chin. it's really just a trivial detail but the foley sound is so loud compared to the quiet of everything else going on it felt like huge overkill. mostly, it's very good otherwise. ever since trent and and ross worked with fincher on the social network, i've been waiting for them to raise the bar on that soundtrack, but here the music is subdued and not that noticeable. it definitely adds to the atmosphere, but it doesn't ever really amplify or take center stage like it did in TSN. i would love it if they experimented a bit more, but it's good/serviceable anyway.

last thing i guess are the weird choices like showing a floating screen of the killer searching for key fob copiers in the last act, and showing a screen of google maps a bit earlier. these are used effectively but they seem out of place when only done these two times. it probably might have been overkill if they did it more often, but i feel like it should have been an all or nothing commitment. they could have done it with the gym check-in screen, maybe some of his logins with various aliases at hotels and car rentals, etc. if you're gonna use a gimmick, use it.

the fight scene in florida is top notch, and i loved the single shot cuts that went from day to night and vice versa showing a single image but, like, 12 hours elapsed. that really sold the process.

Quote replying just to say you basically echoed 99% of my sentiments on the film. An enjoyable watch, but there was a lot that just didn't seem to follow especially The Killer's actions versus his words. I really enjoyed the sound design especially during the Florida fight, those punches and crunches LAND.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

MaoistBanker posted:

a lot that just didn't seem to follow especially The Killer's actions versus his words

To me, I think this was sort of the point of the film, the contrast between the killer who is kind of a dork who thinks he's in absolute control and the events that play out that don't always go exactly as he has planned.

I hope that doesn't come off as condescending, I don't mean to say "well, you just didn't get it." I saw Danny O'Dwyer on twitter, who I really like, say that this movie is "a great movie if you want to watch Michael Fassbender stylishly murder people for 2 hours and then never think about it again" and I kinda wondered if we'd seen the same movie. I think there's definitely stuff left to think about regarding control and lack of it and why he's continued his profession once money just became a thing that let him do his job better.

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned the film being a reflection of Fincher's perfectionism and I think the money thing fits into that too. I may be wrong here, but I think Fincher could probably just not make any more movies and live comfortably for the rest of his days. He's likely not making these movies to pay the bills, he's making what he wants to make and trying to make the most perfect version of that thing that he can make (and in the end it's never going to be absolutely perfect because nothing ever is).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I thought this was great just as a noir-ish thriller with a little sprinkled on top, best netflix film in a long long time. I quite enjoyed the tech bro productivity cult angle that ran throughout.

Shame the Equinox check didn't clear.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I thought this was great, if thin. But I'd watch any amount of well made/acted/shot procedural hitman movies.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

was made aware on Twitter of this limited run Blu-ray https://sloppysecondsales.com/index.php/product/limited-run-the-killer-2023-region-free-bluray-david-fincher/

e. They are bootleg afaik

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 13, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

The sound design was so good, and a good way of subconsciously hinting to the audience that we're seeing everything from his perspective. Between that and all the product placement (do you think Amazon actually paid for theirs??) and the self delusional narrator there were definite Fight Club 2: Louder for those at the Back vibes to it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sound mixing was sick. It’s the kinda poo poo that you buy big rear end speakers for. Opening scene did more sound design than anything else I’ve seen in the past decade.

That aside, this sucked. I wish this had gone one of two ways:

1. Romantic antihero, a la Drive. They already have the music. And Fassbender could absolutely pull it off. That he’s completely unredeeming here is insanely boring.

2. Satire, like Jason Statham in Spy. It’d have been brilliant if all the endless internal monologues about how to be a sick assassin were punctuated by elementary mistakes. That’s basically what the first chapter already is. Stick to the plan, be a total pro, get your heart rate down to 65… aaaand snipe the hooker in the asscheek. I laughed my rear end off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

2. Satire, like Jason Statham in Spy. It’d have been brilliant if all the endless internal monologues about how to be a sick assassin were punctuated by elementary mistakes. That’s basically what the first chapter already is. Stick to the plan, be a total pro, get your heart rate down to 65… aaaand snipe the hooker in the asscheek. I laughed my rear end off.

Most of the movie is that already to some degree.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well I didn't pause to check my phone at any point watching that which is more than I can say for most things these days.

Way too much product placement though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I doubt WeWork or McDonald's were lining up to advertise their products being used by an immoral hitman, I thought it added to the humor if anything. Like what kind of sicko removes the muffin from a McMuffin?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cacator posted:

I doubt WeWork or McDonald's were lining up to advertise their products being used by an immoral hitman, I thought it added to the humor if anything. Like what kind of sicko removes the muffin from a McMuffin?

I'd buy that if it weren't Netflix. They seem to cram more of it in their stuff than anyone else.

Fincher makes it work though. In a Fight Club/American Psycho way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah the product placement is part of the joke of it all. He's getting tools to kill people from Amazon and tracking them through Doordash or Postmates.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cacator posted:

Like what kind of sicko removes the muffin from a McMuffin?

i think trump literally does that lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Killer just wants the protein & is on a keto diet.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Eatin gas station hardboiled eggs in the car like a sicko.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty big Fincher stan here and this was, like, ok. I got the commentary about this perfectionist that immediately fucks up massively after pretentiously monologuing about rules for a perfect assassin, that's neat.

But I didn't know or care about anyone in this movie getting murdered, including the girlfriend or the main character. And I'm sure that was an intentional choice to not spend any time on characters, but it made it hard for me to get invested in anything that's happening. Will this random guy in Florida that I've never seen before get killed, or will he successfully fight back against the hired killer we just saw murder an innocent person? Will sparing the last guy be a mistake? I dunno, whatever.

Cinematography, sound design, all the execution basically was great, some scenes and fights were too, but overall I can't say I felt much in the end.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

stev posted:

I'd buy that if it weren't Netflix. They seem to cram more of it in their stuff than anyone else.

Fincher makes it work though. In a Fight Club/American Psycho way.

The whole movie felt like a spiritual sequel to Fight Club.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speaking of Fight Club sequel, has anybody here read Fight Club 2?

I bought it, read it, and even had Chuck Palahniuk sign it when he was at the Hollywood Theater for a Fight Club screening, and for the life of me I can't remember what plot of the book.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

After watching this movie I rewatched The Social Network on Netflix, which is still great. That movie made me feel more emotions for Harvard as an institution than I felt for any of the characters in this movie. Granted it doesn't seem to be the stated goal of this movie to make you feel many feelings other than some excitement and some glee at how the protagonist screws up, but maybe it could have tried to reach deeper into the emotional well.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Speaking of Fight Club sequel, has anybody here read Fight Club 2?

I bought it, read it, and even had Chuck Palahniuk sign it when he was at the Hollywood Theater for a Fight Club screening, and for the life of me I can't remember what plot of the book.

I have. It feels like the beginning of the current metacommentary sequel trend and is mostly unremarkable for all the same reasons. Its greatest value comes from being able to say wild-rear end but true sentences about the plot like Tyler Durden turns out to be the leader of ISIS and Marla founds a resistance group of child soldiers to oppose him which I mean more as an insult than a compliment.

There is also a Fight Club 3 that I genuinely have never met anybody who’s ever read it, even online.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cacator posted:

I'm kind of curious which companies paid for the placement. WeWork I'm guessing not, but did Amazon really pay for the dude to order knockoff key fob copiers? And if they're using brands without being paid/permission, why did they rename the Equinox gyms at the end?

e: Handy list OK the ones I'd be most amazed if they're paid for are Paslode and Ryobi. like wtf.

There's also an autobiographical aspect to it, since Fincher started off doing ads and music videos

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I think Fincher also just likes using real brands wherever possible.

One detail that I always liked about Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was that a lot of Blomkvist’s investigations was just him using a MacBook to look at photos in iPhoto. It probably would have been cheaper to do a fake interface, which is what literally every other movie does, but that’s just not how Fincher rolls. Whenever you see a fake computer thing in a movie, it takes you out of it, even if just for a second, and I feel he always strives for a sense of immersion at all times.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fishing with the fam posted:

Eatin gas station hardboiled eggs in the car like a sicko.

I think that was the most horrific thing in the movie.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He could have organically gassed that taxi driver and make it look like a sulfur accident.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

I liked that he didn't kill the dog.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The person Fassbender keeps alive is arguably the worst person of all

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The person Fassbender keeps alive is arguably the worst person of all
Yeah I lolled hard at it

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
the killer cut out all the middlemen so that he could get direct access to the guys that sign the checks

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

A lot of good points are being made here about this being a surprise black comedy. I loved it.

The product placement relates to the through line of the film. This guy thinks he's Agent 47, and to be fair, he is confirmed to be a multimillionaire assassin with passports and guns hidden at drops all over the world. So while he's doing his badass superspy voiceover, he's busy eating McDonald's breakfast just like any other dipshit. He solves the problem of infiltrating the billionaire's penthouse in the finale the same way any of us solve our mundane problems: by dropping another $40 for some poo poo on Amazon. His superpower is being able to sit in his car outside of someone's house for 24 hours and just wait for a good time to walk in and kill them. For all of his skills and abilities, he's still a very ordinary guy.

Somewhat related, one of the clues early on that he's full of poo poo is that he's presenting himself as this perfectly stoic figure who only listens to music to improve his mental focus and then he exclusively listens to Morrissey.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This was pretty solid. The inner monologuing is really funny. I think he scene where he breaks into the dudes house and the fight ensues is my favorite bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Clever Moniker posted:

A lot of good points are being made here about this being a surprise black comedy. I loved it.

The product placement relates to the through line of the film. This guy thinks he's Agent 47, and to be fair, he is confirmed to be a multimillionaire assassin with passports and guns hidden at drops all over the world. So while he's doing his badass superspy voiceover, he's busy eating McDonald's breakfast just like any other dipshit. He solves the problem of infiltrating the billionaire's penthouse in the finale the same way any of us solve our mundane problems: by dropping another $40 for some poo poo on Amazon. His superpower is being able to sit in his car outside of someone's house for 24 hours and just wait for a good time to walk in and kill them. For all of his skills and abilities, he's still a very ordinary guy.

Somewhat related, one of the clues early on that he's full of poo poo is that he's presenting himself as this perfectly stoic figure who only listens to music to improve his mental focus and then he exclusively listens to Morrissey.

One detail I found interesting was that the rich guy at the end mentioned he had paid an extra $150,000 to have the protaganist taken out . After costs and the lawyer's cut that seems like a very bad deal for Tilda Swinton and the other dude? Is the protagonist getting similar deals, grinding out murder gigs taking enormous risks for himself for substantial but not incredible sums of money? He keeps telling us that he's rich and transfers several million from the bank near the end but who knows how much of that is just his self image.