Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

One detail I found interesting was that the rich guy at the end mentioned he had paid an extra $150,000 to have the protaganist taken out . After costs and the lawyer's cut that seems like a very bad deal for Tilda Swinton and the other dude? Is the protagonist getting similar deals, grinding out murder gigs taking enormous risks for himself for substantial but not incredible sums of money? He keeps telling us that he's rich and transfers several million from the bank near the end but who knows how much of that is just his self image.

It feels like something from the John Hammond "spared no expense!" school of business management. You'd paid top dollar for the most expensive assassin on the market, then when the poo poo hits the fan it never occurs to you that maybe sending bargain bin assassins after him doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Thought this was pretty mediocre but it kept my attention the whole time so I’m not complaining. Tilda’s part really outshined everything else though.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Maybe they were partly paid with what was supposed to be The Killer's fee.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
One of the low-key funniest parts of the movie to me was watching him prepping at the begging and realizing that he does yoga and eats keto.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loved this. The black comedy element of Fassbender’s failure to live up to his own mantra gives the film a narrative spine; and the rest of it is stylish and spare and hypnotic, almost to the point of abstractness. Also, it’s really funny that he mostly just shoots people, and the one cool thing he tries to do, he fucks up. Honestly, I could’ve happily watched this for another two hours.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Fun movie. The VO narration/inner monologue had me very iffy at first, because it treads in that irritating place where clever can easily become pretentious, but I warmed up to it quickly as it was some well-crafted character development, showing a pattern of where his thoughts drift and essentially setting himself up as an unreliable narrator, quickly realized in his gently caress-up.

Old habits die hard, but some of the tacticool realism stuff was cornball and unrealistic (his one-handed room clearing was hamfisted, and come on I thought we were beyond the point where a gun gets its action racked every time you see it, or as an intimidation tactic). Like others have said though, it definitely kept my interest.

Anticlimactic ending felt very deliberate, to me. I can't put my finger on why but it was subversive in a way that just felt weird.

Soundtrack was incredible.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Fun movie. The VO narration/inner monologue had me very iffy at first, because it treads in that irritating place where clever can easily become pretentious, but I warmed up to it quickly as it was some well-crafted character development, showing a pattern of where his thoughts drift and essentially setting himself up as an unreliable narrator, quickly realized in his gently caress-up.

Old habits die hard, but some of the tacticool realism stuff was cornball and unrealistic (his one-handed room clearing was hamfisted, and come on I thought we were beyond the point where a gun gets its action racked every time you see it, or as an intimidation tactic). Like others have said though, it definitely kept my interest.

my interpretation was that these are related, and you're sort of seeing his own interpretation of how he looks (which he is obviously conscious of, e.g. the comment about people going through his storage)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status/1727395474867699857?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's now always hard for me to watch anything new from Fincher because we never got a third season of Mindhunter for some reason, or the two Dragon Tattoo sequels. gently caress Sony for that for real.

I had a hard time grabbing a hold of this movie while watching it five days ago, but I'm still thinking about it which is a good sign. I think Fincher is a remarkable filmmaker and even with a weak script he can do some really interesting stuff. Not to say I found the writing here to be bad, just very streamlined and simple but not necessarily in a bad way; not every film has to be an epic. And as always, there's something about the cinematography, sound and editing that is just so loving mesmerizing in Fincher's movies, it's like he knows exactly what to show, how to show it and when to show it.

Also the fight scene with Sala Baker was genuinely thrilling, if underlit. Which I get is what they're going for there but it always reminds me of the Fight Club commentary where Brad Pitt jabs Fincher about him and Norton being underlit in a scene so I'm subconsciously on the lookout for those moments in his movies.

The big thing is that in some ways it felt like a movie made in the 70's, early on when Fassbender is up in his little sniper's nest looking down at Paris I was thinking of the opening of The Conversation which is not a tough connection to make considering Fincher has been vocal about his love of 70's cinema before and he had David Shire score Zodiac too.

The more time that passes the more I think I value this movie and the more I like it. It's genuinely hard for me to shake even though I've watched arguably bigger movies in the days since. It's not one of his greats, but definitely works for what it is. I have to watch it again once I've detached myself from it a little more but I really liked it.

If nothing else, it's the best Hitman movie adaptation we've ever gotten. :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sorry, double post but I forgot to mention the soundtrack. I've been listening to it a lot over the past few days and it's really going a long way to make me like the movie even more. I didn't pay too much attention to it while watching the movie but on its own it's pretty effective. The Reznor/Ross scores have been a bit hit or miss for me in the past but this one has some wonderfully atmospheric and tense tracks going, though I'm not too sure about the two "Brute" tracks since one of them has the fight sound effects in it and I was more interested in hearing it out of context but oh well.

I think The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo score is still the best Reznor/Ross/Fincher collab score out of the ones they've done but this one is definitely the most memorable.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like that he goes to all these glamorous locations but theyre all made to look as bland and generic as possible

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Watched Dumb Money last night and it's very much somebody apeing a whole bunch of The Social Network.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just saw this. Mid-teir Fincher for me, like Panic Room. Great directing and classic Fincher cinematography, but it didn't seem to really say anything. Felt surprisingly light-weight compared to e.g. Fight Club or Gone Girl.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The movie reminded me that I've never seen Mindhunter.

It's so good. Has kind-of similar look and production quality but I actually care about Holden and Bill and what they're trying to do.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Is Mindhunter worth sticking with if I like a number of a Fincher films (a couple of them a lot), but thought the first episode was very dull when I watched it recently?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just on episode 4 now. It stays pretty low-key so if you really didn't like the first episode, it just might not work for you. But maybe give another episode or two a shot :shrug:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The first episode of Mindhunter is weirdly terrible. It gets a lot better when Big Ed Kemper shows up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm I wouldn't say it's terrible, maybe a bit weaker in part thanks to having to spend time to establish everything and not really getting into the meat as much. But I almost always find the first episode of a series to be a bit rough even if it's not through any specific fault, just because it takes me some time to get familiar with characters and what's going on. The later episodes are better but not like fundamentally different in my opinion.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

mindhunter season 1 was pretty cool, and i usually don't stick with shows at all. the finale was kinda cool too.

season 2 lost me around midway, though

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think it's safe to bail out on Mindhunter after the season 1 finale too, the second season is a real whiff.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It's all slickly made but doesn't amount to much. Fincher's film work is better than his TV work.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Seemlar posted:

I think it's safe to bail out on Mindhunter after the season 1 finale too, the second season is a real whiff.

This is a bonkers take. How could you not love the Charles Manson interview in season 2?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen all of S1 let alone S2, but checking the review scores it seems to stay fairly consistent. I'm sure someone could dislike it of course but I wouldn't preemptively bail on it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I found it a lot better on a rewatch. Holden is still an absolute twat though.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
This movie is basically if John C. Reilly's character in Magnolia was a hitman instead of a cop.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Zadok Allen posted:

This is a bonkers take. How could you not love the Charles Manson interview in season 2?

The interrogations are a high point but stuff like Tench family drama is just interminable

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I liked how they teased BTK like he was Thanos.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

True Crime pervs were hooping and hollering and shouting at their screens as soon as they saw a scene set in Wichita Kansas.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Good making of video for the Brute fight scene - key takeaways: they had to digitally remove the dog's tail as it wagged too hard when she saw the Brute's actor, and the cheese grater was literally just the first thing Fassbinder pulled out of the drawer.

https://youtu.be/-yF5rtOmUtc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Carpet posted:

Good making of video for the Brute fight scene - key takeaways: they had to digitally remove the dog's tail as it wagged too hard when she saw the Brute's actor, and the cheese grater was literally just the first thing Fassbinder pulled out of the drawer.

https://youtu.be/-yF5rtOmUtc

Stick to the plan...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saw this again except with a proper sound system. It's really sad it didn't have a bigger theatrical release as the sound design and score are some of the best things about it.

Two things that struck me this time were how he talks almost entirely in maxim's and how clearly the client at the end is meant to stand in for capitalism in general (literally framed by stock market charts in some shots). I assume the latter is meant to be in contrast to the end of fight club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
Thought this was a great time. I'm not smart enough to know all the ins-and-outs of this, but I get the feeling the Netflix deal specifically allowed Fincher to make something he wanted to make. Any funnier or more overt, and the subtly would be lost. Anything cooler and less blocky (i.e., less on-and-on-and-on narration) and he runs the risk of another Fight Club, where the self-critical satire is lost for some people. There's juuuust enough of the main character's cool-guy bullshit to make it worth it when it whip-lashes every now and then to expose that he's a dope.

Feels like a movie that specifically wants to be annoying for just about anyone except someone who really likes Fincher and wants to see what he does without a boss.