Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I really enjoyed this. It was a bit frustrating to not have an option to see it in theaters because it would've looked nice there. I watched The Game recently having not seen it in probably 20+ years and on paper it's a movie I should really like but I just think it's fine. While watching The Game I kept feeling compelled to go grab my phone and scroll a bit, with The Killer, I was engaged the entire time.

This reminded me of the Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake) Parker books a little bit. Parker is more of a commanding presence while The Killer just stands there quietly and lets the other person talk until he hears what he wants to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

a lot that just didn't seem to follow especially The Killer's actions versus his words

To me, I think this was sort of the point of the film, the contrast between the killer who is kind of a dork who thinks he's in absolute control and the events that play out that don't always go exactly as he has planned.

I hope that doesn't come off as condescending, I don't mean to say "well, you just didn't get it." I saw Danny O'Dwyer on twitter, who I really like, say that this movie is "a great movie if you want to watch Michael Fassbender stylishly murder people for 2 hours and then never think about it again" and I kinda wondered if we'd seen the same movie. I think there's definitely stuff left to think about regarding control and lack of it and why he's continued his profession once money just became a thing that let him do his job better.

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned the film being a reflection of Fincher's perfectionism and I think the money thing fits into that too. I may be wrong here, but I think Fincher could probably just not make any more movies and live comfortably for the rest of his days. He's likely not making these movies to pay the bills, he's making what he wants to make and trying to make the most perfect version of that thing that he can make (and in the end it's never going to be absolutely perfect because nothing ever is).

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

True Crime pervs were hooping and hollering and shouting at their screens as soon as they saw a scene set in Wichita Kansas.