Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I don’t know why people are down/lukewarm on this movie ITT, I loved it from literally the first second of the title sequence right through to the cut-to-credits.

But then, I absolutely love media about stoic hitmen going about their preparations and processes, so this movie was pretty much laser-targeted to appeal to me. I went in with sky-high expectations, and the movie delivered exactly what I wanted.

What I wasn’t expecting, but greatly enjoyed was the (subtext alert) satire on late-late capitalism, rentier businesses, and the gig economy. I’d need to see it again to construct a proper analysis, but it’s definitely there, from the way The Killer uses apps, free trials, and automated kiosks at every opportunity to facilitate his emotionally detached work, to his underlying fear of “not making it”, and being one of the “normies”.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I think Fincher also just likes using real brands wherever possible.

One detail that I always liked about Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was that a lot of Blomkvist’s investigations was just him using a MacBook to look at photos in iPhoto. It probably would have been cheaper to do a fake interface, which is what literally every other movie does, but that’s just not how Fincher rolls. Whenever you see a fake computer thing in a movie, it takes you out of it, even if just for a second, and I feel he always strives for a sense of immersion at all times.