Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
This movie ripped. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Maybe Fincher's funniest movie.

My big take away from this movie was that it was about the illusion of control. Fassbender's inner monologue was all about perfection and control, but then he keeps loving up. He's still good at what he does of course, but all the rules and mantras he keeps repeating are more to convince himself of his own control over circumstances than convincing us the audience. He keeps repeating to himself not to improvise, but routinely has to make poo poo up as he goes to paper over flaws or missing bits in his plans. Like how the lawyer is totally going to give him the information he needs while taking 6 or 7 minutes to bleed out, but instead the dude dies within 15 seconds. Or how he knows the lawyer has information in that very office about the other cleaners, but that turns out to be bullshit and he has to drag the secretary to a second location to find what he needs. Fassbender internally talks a big game like the cliche super assassin, but he mostly just scrapes by while making clear errors. Yet the inner monologue refuses to recognize this.

I also loved how Fassbender was a man of few words in character, but was an absolute chatty Kathy in his own head. To the point where it almost feels like he is distracting himself. At multiple points in the movie his inner monologue is interrupted, like when the brute in Florida gets the jump on him. He refuses to shut the gently caress up about sticking to the plan, to his own detriment.

There are a lot of thoughts bouncing around my head. I need to watch this again. But the last thing that really sticks with me is his claims of not allowing empathy, but again keeps violating this. The secretary asks him to not disappear her so her family can get her life insurance money, and he acquiesces to her request. Or how most of the movie is a knee jerk revenge over his girlfriend being attacked. This last bit is interesting because of how it connects with Fassbender's desire for control. I honestly don't think he is going after the lawyer and the cleaners out of revenge for his girlfriend in and of herself, but because her being attacked is a direct violation of his self-styled control. That is why he insists it won't happen again to her brother. Because that violation of his control is the worst thing anyone could ever do to him.

Edit: And that's not even getting into what Fincher is trying to say about himself and his process with this movie. I don't think it's a coincidence that a filmmaker whose entire schtick is perfectionism and being a control freak made a film about a hitman who clearly views himself as a perfectionist and control freak.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Eatin gas station hardboiled eggs in the car like a sicko.