Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw a 2:30pm Saturday show at the Hollywood Theater.

I didn't think David Fincher was ballsy enough to remake a John Woo classic, and I wasn't sure Michael Fassbender could replicate the magic that was Chow Yun Fat's Ah Jong.

At least the pizza was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The movie reminded me of the 2nd half of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo where we watch Lisbeth methodically loving poo poo up in an incredibly efficient manner.

In a weird way I was reminded of Michael Mann films where they have immaculate professionals doing their thing. Difference is Mann makes sure to have characterization so you care about what's going on.

Either way I'll be tracking down the French graphic novel this movie is based on.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Matinee posted:

I don’t know why people are down/lukewarm on this movie ITT, I loved it from literally the first second of the title sequence right through to the cut-to-credits.

But then, I absolutely love media about stoic hitmen going about their preparations and processes, so this movie was pretty much laser-targeted to appeal to me. I went in with sky-high expectations, and the movie delivered exactly what I wanted.

What I wasn’t expecting, but greatly enjoyed was the (subtext alert) satire on late-late capitalism, rentier businesses, and the gig economy. I’d need to see it again to construct a proper analysis, but it’s definitely there, from the way The Killer uses apps, free trials, and automated kiosks at every opportunity to facilitate his emotionally detached work, to his underlying fear of “not making it”, and being one of the “normies”.

I did enjoy those parts & if anything I appreciate that this was a pretty straightforward story. Like I said earlier, I feel that this movie has something akin to a Michael Mann film where the lead is a professional working at the top of their game.

Hopefully people will remember like in Fight Club the protagonist in The Killer is not a good person and worth modelling themselves after.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghosthotel posted:

My only negative with this movie is that I wish Trent Reznor's OST was more prominent but I got a kick out of the guys meditation music being morrisey lmao
I liked that Trent & Atticus' score was more subdued as sometimes it can be a little overwhelming (looking at you, Watchmen and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem…).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Killer just wants the protein & is on a keto diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speaking of Fight Club sequel, has anybody here read Fight Club 2?

I bought it, read it, and even had Chuck Palahniuk sign it when he was at the Hollywood Theater for a Fight Club screening, and for the life of me I can't remember what plot of the book.