Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty big Fincher stan here and this was, like, ok. I got the commentary about this perfectionist that immediately fucks up massively after pretentiously monologuing about rules for a perfect assassin, that's neat.

But I didn't know or care about anyone in this movie getting murdered, including the girlfriend or the main character. And I'm sure that was an intentional choice to not spend any time on characters, but it made it hard for me to get invested in anything that's happening. Will this random guy in Florida that I've never seen before get killed, or will he successfully fight back against the hired killer we just saw murder an innocent person? Will sparing the last guy be a mistake? I dunno, whatever.

Cinematography, sound design, all the execution basically was great, some scenes and fights were too, but overall I can't say I felt much in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The movie reminded me that I've never seen Mindhunter.

It's so good. Has kind-of similar look and production quality but I actually care about Holden and Bill and what they're trying to do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just on episode 4 now. It stays pretty low-key so if you really didn't like the first episode, it just might not work for you. But maybe give another episode or two a shot :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm I wouldn't say it's terrible, maybe a bit weaker in part thanks to having to spend time to establish everything and not really getting into the meat as much. But I almost always find the first episode of a series to be a bit rough even if it's not through any specific fault, just because it takes me some time to get familiar with characters and what's going on. The later episodes are better but not like fundamentally different in my opinion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen all of S1 let alone S2, but checking the review scores it seems to stay fairly consistent. I'm sure someone could dislike it of course but I wouldn't preemptively bail on it.