Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's now always hard for me to watch anything new from Fincher because we never got a third season of Mindhunter for some reason, or the two Dragon Tattoo sequels. gently caress Sony for that for real.

I had a hard time grabbing a hold of this movie while watching it five days ago, but I'm still thinking about it which is a good sign. I think Fincher is a remarkable filmmaker and even with a weak script he can do some really interesting stuff. Not to say I found the writing here to be bad, just very streamlined and simple but not necessarily in a bad way; not every film has to be an epic. And as always, there's something about the cinematography, sound and editing that is just so loving mesmerizing in Fincher's movies, it's like he knows exactly what to show, how to show it and when to show it.

Also the fight scene with Sala Baker was genuinely thrilling, if underlit. Which I get is what they're going for there but it always reminds me of the Fight Club commentary where Brad Pitt jabs Fincher about him and Norton being underlit in a scene so I'm subconsciously on the lookout for those moments in his movies.

The big thing is that in some ways it felt like a movie made in the 70's, early on when Fassbender is up in his little sniper's nest looking down at Paris I was thinking of the opening of The Conversation which is not a tough connection to make considering Fincher has been vocal about his love of 70's cinema before and he had David Shire score Zodiac too.

The more time that passes the more I think I value this movie and the more I like it. It's genuinely hard for me to shake even though I've watched arguably bigger movies in the days since. It's not one of his greats, but definitely works for what it is. I have to watch it again once I've detached myself from it a little more but I really liked it.

If nothing else, it's the best Hitman movie adaptation we've ever gotten. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sorry, double post but I forgot to mention the soundtrack. I've been listening to it a lot over the past few days and it's really going a long way to make me like the movie even more. I didn't pay too much attention to it while watching the movie but on its own it's pretty effective. The Reznor/Ross scores have been a bit hit or miss for me in the past but this one has some wonderfully atmospheric and tense tracks going, though I'm not too sure about the two "Brute" tracks since one of them has the fight sound effects in it and I was more interested in hearing it out of context but oh well.

I think The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo score is still the best Reznor/Ross/Fincher collab score out of the ones they've done but this one is definitely the most memorable.