Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I thought this was great just as a noir-ish thriller with a little sprinkled on top, best netflix film in a long long time. I quite enjoyed the tech bro productivity cult angle that ran throughout.

Shame the Equinox check didn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

My only negative with this movie is that I wish Trent Reznor's OST was more prominent but I got a kick out of the guys meditation music being morrisey lmao

The sound design was so good, and a good way of subconsciously hinting to the audience that we're seeing everything from his perspective. Between that and all the product placement (do you think Amazon actually paid for theirs??) and the self delusional narrator there were definite Fight Club 2: Louder for those at the Back vibes to it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cacator posted:

I doubt WeWork or McDonald's were lining up to advertise their products being used by an immoral hitman, I thought it added to the humor if anything. Like what kind of sicko removes the muffin from a McMuffin?

I'm kind of curious which companies paid for the placement. WeWork I'm guessing not, but did Amazon really pay for the dude to order knockoff key fob copiers? And if they're using brands without being paid/permission, why did they rename the Equinox gyms at the end?

e: Handy list OK the ones I'd be most amazed if they're paid for are Paslode and Ryobi. like wtf.

There's also an autobiographical aspect to it, since Fincher started off doing ads and music videos

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Clever Moniker posted:

A lot of good points are being made here about this being a surprise black comedy. I loved it.

The product placement relates to the through line of the film. This guy thinks he's Agent 47, and to be fair, he is confirmed to be a multimillionaire assassin with passports and guns hidden at drops all over the world. So while he's doing his badass superspy voiceover, he's busy eating McDonald's breakfast just like any other dipshit. He solves the problem of infiltrating the billionaire's penthouse in the finale the same way any of us solve our mundane problems: by dropping another $40 for some poo poo on Amazon. His superpower is being able to sit in his car outside of someone's house for 24 hours and just wait for a good time to walk in and kill them. For all of his skills and abilities, he's still a very ordinary guy.

Somewhat related, one of the clues early on that he's full of poo poo is that he's presenting himself as this perfectly stoic figure who only listens to music to improve his mental focus and then he exclusively listens to Morrissey.

One detail I found interesting was that the rich guy at the end mentioned he had paid an extra $150,000 to have the protaganist taken out . After costs and the lawyer's cut that seems like a very bad deal for Tilda Swinton and the other dude? Is the protagonist getting similar deals, grinding out murder gigs taking enormous risks for himself for substantial but not incredible sums of money? He keeps telling us that he's rich and transfers several million from the bank near the end but who knows how much of that is just his self image.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Fun movie. The VO narration/inner monologue had me very iffy at first, because it treads in that irritating place where clever can easily become pretentious, but I warmed up to it quickly as it was some well-crafted character development, showing a pattern of where his thoughts drift and essentially setting himself up as an unreliable narrator, quickly realized in his gently caress-up.

Old habits die hard, but some of the tacticool realism stuff was cornball and unrealistic (his one-handed room clearing was hamfisted, and come on I thought we were beyond the point where a gun gets its action racked every time you see it, or as an intimidation tactic). Like others have said though, it definitely kept my interest.

my interpretation was that these are related, and you're sort of seeing his own interpretation of how he looks (which he is obviously conscious of, e.g. the comment about people going through his storage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saw this again except with a proper sound system. It's really sad it didn't have a bigger theatrical release as the sound design and score are some of the best things about it.

Two things that struck me this time were how he talks almost entirely in maxim's and how clearly the client at the end is meant to stand in for capitalism in general (literally framed by stock market charts in some shots). I assume the latter is meant to be in contrast to the end of fight club.