Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Really liked this as a hitman film, as a Hitman film, and as a commentary piece on how Mank was received by fans (not me, I liked it). The abruptness (and "cleanliness" I guess I'd call it) of the ending is a big reason I'm not going as far to say I loved it though

That Brute fight ruled :rubby: holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

WHY the gently caress does the movie go out of its way to play up his skill only to have the only contracted kill we actually witness be one where he screws up with basically zero explanation. and then the rest of the movie he pulls off all this cool slick poo poo to get revenge with basically no hiccups at all.

I'd argue that's the point (and part of Fincher's meta-commentary)

It's more normal than we want to believe that we over-focus on the times things don't go according to plan or aren't received entirely the way we expect, rare as they may be. You didn't get a promotion you fought for, Fassbender pulled the trigger at the wrong time, Fincher read a reddit comment that his last (imo good) film sucked; none of these are the end of the world, except to the individual specifically dealing with it

Even the girlfriend was like "I'm alive, that's what counts". I knew the risks, and I knew not to make it worse. We don't have to do this forever if we don't want to, we can walk away while we can walk

But when you make hits for a living, can you really if your last shot was perceived as a miss?

Tilda outright says as much in the dinner conversation. The ego won't allow it. Batting .999 the rest of the way, before and since, doesn't matter if all you remember is the other, the last, .001

He missed one kill all film. And it was the first one. After talking so much poo poo for the first like 10 minutes about it never happening before. He only brings it up in monologue again for three seconds the rest of the film ("well, this is new"), but that's fine; there's more than enough context clues to know it eats away at him the rest of the film, just as much as the violence the Brute dishes out to him lingers visually the rest of the film after their altercation. He doesn't have to say it for us to know, with or without Tilda pointing it out subtly
And this paragraph I feel also addresses Ccs' post; it's not the only funny part of the film, but it's the funniest/most blatant (I also liked the over-reliance on tech right up until the last resort of just saying gently caress it and buying something from Amazon)