Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

redshirt posted:

I find it odd that people in the almost year 2024 judge tv shows from the 1990's by the same cultural standards of today.

Lol lots of people thought it was really lovely to do that at the time too, in fact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

redshirt posted:

I find it odd that people in the almost year 2024 judge tv shows from the 1990's by the same cultural standards of today.

“It was a different time!” usually ignores the fact that many, if not most, people actually weren’t racist or homophobic even when racism and homophobia were more common.

It’s cool and good to point out that not only should the people who wrote anti-gay jokes have known better, they really could have too, if they had been interested in being better people.

If we make progress on trans rights in the next couple of decades, it will absolutely be okay to point out that 2020s transphobes had every opportunity to not be transphobic but they actively fought it. We shouldn’t let a reformed transphobe in the 2050s just claim that the 2020s were “a different time” and for that to be completely exculpatory.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cracker posted:

Is this the first celebrity death in the social media age where nobody even feigns caring?

Anne Heche double-erasure

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
i remember one time I'd been partying all day and got into a hottub and instantly got tired and fell asleep in there, the people i was with had to nudge me awake and tell me to get into a chair

apparently dying in hot tubs is quite common. (I didn't die though)

cracker posted:

Is this the first celebrity death in the social media age where nobody even feigns caring?

a lot of people care, he had addiction issues and he was also very funny and talented it's sad that he died at 54

Tumble fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 30, 2023

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Could I be any more? no

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Never found Friends even slightly funny, thought it was super shallow and that it encouraged a sort of heartless, drip by drip sarky low-level hatefulness and sniping between so-called ‘friends’ that had nothing much to do with comedy and that slowly seeped into the wider culture, like the cultural foreshadowing of the open enmity that people fairly universally have for each other these days. Though later different shows have of course carried the flame of the same general bad faith interpersonal juju and intensified it. Nah gently caress Friends I reckon, could just be me tho

https://youtu.be/un_B-5zQxD8

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 30, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pyf meme thread

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

“The Outing” won a GLAAD award and is much more like IASIP in tone. It’s clear that their discomfort is about their characters shortcomings. It’s a great episode.

Friends on the other hand the joke was just “they’re trans” or “they’re gay” and that was it. Plus Ross and his wife and that whole dynamic. Part of it is probably just the lower quality of writing on Friends compared to the others.

In Seinfeld and Sunny the characters always get their comeuppance for being jerks (“no hugging, no learning”). Friends didn’t do that. They would act sociopathic then the tone would switch. I like the show but it’s aged about as well as Cheers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Minotaurus Rex posted:

the open enmity that people fairly universally have for each other these days.

oh dear

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Some of Jerry’s standup bits though, including the one on suicide is a big yikes. And there’s one episode where he talks about queer folks looking for “recruits” which sucks.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

I’m probably overthinking it a bit. Friends is hot dog poo poo tho

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

YeahTubaMike posted:

Anne Heche double-erasure

:chanpop:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Escape Goat posted:

Some of Jerry’s standup bits though, including the one on suicide is a big yikes. And there’s one episode where he talks about queer folks looking for “recruits” which sucks.

Only Sean Penn gets a pass in Milk and he earned it after I Am Sam

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Always follow proper hot tub safety procedures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipvYf8qkpX8

naem
May 29, 2011

is Friends the main/only lasting Gen X cultural product? The most popular portrayal of that era?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

naem posted:

is Friends the main/only lasting Gen X cultural product? The most popular portrayal of that era?

From what I can tell, the only gen X cultural products that are still popular are the ones that took the piss out of the culture of the era.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

naem posted:

What about grunge?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I think Nirvana is the biggest gen x cultural icon today. Not the music though, just that smiley face shirt with Nirvana written on it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm an elder millennial and grunge is still one of my favorite genres. :colbert:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Sleep should have been the breakout band of the 90's. drat shame.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

naem posted:

nah its doom or pokemon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

neato burrito posted:

it really is

but they're also all still alive

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

MrQwerty posted:

it really is

but they're also all still alive

When is a Pike not like a Perry?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Earth were pretty great too

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

naem posted:

I won't stand for this Trailer Park Boys erasure

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

neato burrito posted:

When is a Pike not like a Perry?

Buffy?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

naem posted:

But what is a Generation X cultural product? Things we made or things we enjoyed? I was going to say the biggest pro wrestling boom was all Generation X stars but drat Steve Austin is a BOOMER by 13 days, gimme a hell yeah

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

I think Pike and Perry are exactly the same in that instance.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Earth were pretty great too

Dylan from Earth gave Kurt the shotgun he used.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

neato burrito posted:

Proceeds the Wedian, Nazareth

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
How do you drown in a hot tub?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

shazbot posted:

How do you drown in a bath tub?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the jerk store called, they are running out of chandlers

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

shazbot posted:

How do you drown in a hot tub?
Drunk/high and pass out. Extended hot water also causes your heart rate to drop and veins to dilate, which can make you faint when you stand up, especially if you also have depressant drugs at the same time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Over here in China, a lot of people are informally mourning his loss. The last time I saw so many people upset about a foreign celebrity death was when that one guy in Linkin Park died.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
did anyone make a could he be any more dead yet joke

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Fors Yard posted:

Dylan from Earth gave Kurt the shotgun he used.

Dylan from Earth coincidentally also gave Matthew Perry the hot tub he died in, and Paul Walker the Porsche Carrera GT he wrapped around a tree. Dude’s a menace who should be stopped before his malevolent generosity kills yet again.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm not sad to see him pass. NOT!

Was that a Chandler thing or just Borat?

If it wasn't to be clear he seemed like a nice man with some troubling personal problems and I hope his loved ones are ok :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

The Top G posted:

The poster with a gendered slur as a username doesn’t mind hearing jokes mocking lgbt people?? Quelle surprise

I'm gay, but by all means please tell me what I should or shouldn't consider homophobic. As I already said, I don't believe the jokes were mocking LGBT people, they were mocking the protagonists for being insecure/ignorant. Like someone else said, the line was blurrier in Friends and especially Seinfeld so it comes down to interpretation, I wouldn't judge anyone for being offended by it either. Just don't try to tell me how I should feel about it.