Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MrMoo posted:

AV1 encoding in real time

i dont know what that is, and dont care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

graph posted:

i dont know what that is, and dont care

it's intel's video hardware decoding/encoding and it's fast in the same way as calculating pi by saying, "gently caress it, 3 is close enough" is fast

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
besides codec asics pc laptops are still better at blender in perf/w because apple doesn't have an equivalent to nvidia optix

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Perplx posted:

besides codec asics pc laptops are still better at blender in perf/w because apple doesn't have an equivalent to nvidia optix

brb shopping for a laptop to own for years exclusively which must have NVIDIA OptiX™ for my bellenderer performance

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk why everyone is talking about .avis again

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

shitface posted:

brb shopping for a laptop to own for years exclusively which must have NVIDIA OptiX™ for my bellenderer performance

on a side note i wish terribleterribleterrible didnt drop off the face of the earth after putting out their first zine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

haha this guy

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

shitface posted:

it's intel's video hardware decoding/encoding and it's fast in the same way as calculating pi by saying, "gently caress it, 3 is close enough" is fast

It makes Zoom calls and Twitch streaming more accessible, but the quality can be somewhat worse than software coding. I do wonder at some point only hardware becomes feasible, when AV1 codecs came out it was like hours of CPU time to encode a single frame.

Obviously this means YouTube is just going to compress everything to smaller files rather than increase the quality of anything.

It's similar to the race of megapixels in cameras, with newer codecs you can have higher resolutions no one cares about, but when scaled to a conventional size it probably ends up looking a little bit better?

Did you know, not least care, that AWS Transcoding service (AWS Elemental) actually charges more money for hardware accelerated video transcoding? You pay more for worse quality that takes less CPU time to process 🤷‍♀️

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 31, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

these motherfuckers are who costco uses and they are always understaffed so it takes an hour to check in and get your car

also having a little lmao to myself that the pink imac is clearly red but they can't say that or bono will slay tim with his katana

matti
Mar 31, 2019

rotor posted:

[still in biggie voice] HIT EM WITH A LITTLE ROTOR 101

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Achmed Jones posted:

it's $200 to upgrade the ram to 16g

christ, they're still doing this poo poo? absolutely shameful.

how long has 8gb been the base configuration?

e: 2013. so, over a decade of pretending 8gb is adequate for anything.i wonder how long they'll keep this nonsense up

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 31, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
still only one external display on M3, too. wasn't this supposed to be the one that addressed the compromises left over from the M1/M2 being upsized ipad chips?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

e: 2013. so, over a decade of pretending 8gb is adequate for anything.i wonder how long they'll keep this nonsense up

as long as mf keep buying them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

shitface posted:

so, wait, what is the approved hardware-picking criterion if it is now gauche to do it based on suitability for the intended task?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
still waiting for an email confirming that someone has bought me a fully-loaded Space Black MacBook Pro

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
pretty crazy the max went from 8p+4e cores to 12p+4e, the m3 studio will come in 24p+8e cores and 256GB of ram, like what the hell even comes close in that size

intel still maxing out 8p+*clown horn* e cores

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

pretty crazy the max went from 8p+4e cores to 12p+4e, the m3 studio will come in 24p+8e cores and 256GB of ram, like what the hell even comes close in that size

intel still maxing out 8p+*clown horn* e cores

the threadrippers have been 32 cores for 5 years by now, current one is 64 cores. the 96 core ones are three weeks away.

you are right that intel is not quite there, but with the xeon w9-3495x has 56 cores and has been out for better part of the year.

now of course that is a dumb comparison because the m3 is much better along a number of other metrics, but going "waow 24 cores who could possibly compete" is pretty lol.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the threadrippers have been 32 cores for 5 years by now, current one is 64 cores. the 96 core ones are three weeks away.

you are right that intel is not quite there, but with the xeon w9-3495x has 56 cores and has been out for better part of the year.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i was weighing whether perplx was doing a strange troll because i feel like everyone should have that image macro burnt into their minds by now

e: or just remembering that apple shipped macs with 12-core intel cpus 10 years ago

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 31, 2023

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

so, wait, what is the approved hardware-picking criterion if it is now gauche to do it based on suitability for the intended task?

it must have AMD SplineReticul8r+™ or it’s a real piece of poo poo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Raluek posted:

still only one external display on M3, too. wasn't this supposed to be the one that addressed the compromises left over from the M1/M2 being upsized ipad chips?

they seem to have landed on two monitors being a premium upsell pro feature

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

now of course that is a dumb comparison because the m3 is much better along a number of other metrics, but going "waow 24 cores who could possibly compete" is pretty lol.

now try to build a threadripper the size of mac studio, even this dumb board is bigger than a studio

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

now try to build a threadripper the size of mac studio, even this dumb board is bigger than a studio

as i noted: the m3 is a very different literally and figuratively cooler beast in a lot of ways, but your original post probably could not be dumber if you tried.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

as i noted: the m3 is a very different literally and figuratively cooler beast in a lot of ways, but your original post probably could not be dumber if you tried.

to their credit they explicitly say "in that size" in their post

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

to their credit they explicitly say "in that size" in their post

yeah, fine, i did willfully ignore that part. but as someone who would love to be able to drop the cash on a decked out studio (apple hardware is currently fantastic for some significant niches of ml) it is as an argument ridiculous to imagine the criteria "i am looking to spend $10,000 and i want as many cores as possible, but, importantly, my desk is very small" as the lens to view it through.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it’s true, I have 4% more sex than I did when I owned an htc phone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

it’s true, I have 4% more sex than I did when I owned an htc phone

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i once had sex with someone who used a blackberry and ran grindr on an android emulator on his pc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

no, over a decade of subsidizing low end prices by charging enterprise and corporate customers who need to buy bigram laptops for their employees.

if you want the 16gb to be $100 less you're gonna have to take the 8gb being $100 more. simple as.

this is not meant to be a deep dive into apple's finances or could they just give it away for free, yadda yadda, its just how their pricing model has worked for, as you noted, a decade.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the financial abuse has been going on for a decade?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s not even 9am and my battery is at 70% this is bullshit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OF's video player is notoriously cpu hungry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
an OF sub? in this economy?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

OF's video player is notoriously cpu hungry

what do you mean it’s just standard html5 video?

oh…

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more like spinUpFans

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

more like spinUpFans

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

more like spinUpFans

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
my mbp (m3, 16GB) showed up
now it’s updating Ventura while my studio updates to 14.1.1

then hopefully I can update the mbp to 14.1.1

then I can do migration assistant? maybe? setup is such a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
unbox
turn on
select country
decline accessibility options
select WiFi, put in my long rear end password
say okay to Ventura update
wait for it to restart
then do all the setup poo poo and password again because Apple didn’t save it the first time before the update, great job tim