Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

shitface posted:

brb shopping for a laptop to own for years exclusively which must have NVIDIA OptiX™ for my bellenderer performance

so, wait, what is the approved hardware-picking criterion if it is now gauche to do it based on suitability for the intended task?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

pretty crazy the max went from 8p+4e cores to 12p+4e, the m3 studio will come in 24p+8e cores and 256GB of ram, like what the hell even comes close in that size

intel still maxing out 8p+*clown horn* e cores

the threadrippers have been 32 cores for 5 years by now, current one is 64 cores. the 96 core ones are three weeks away.

you are right that intel is not quite there, but with the xeon w9-3495x has 56 cores and has been out for better part of the year.

now of course that is a dumb comparison because the m3 is much better along a number of other metrics, but going "waow 24 cores who could possibly compete" is pretty lol.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i was weighing whether perplx was doing a strange troll because i feel like everyone should have that image macro burnt into their minds by now

e: or just remembering that apple shipped macs with 12-core intel cpus 10 years ago

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 31, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

now try to build a threadripper the size of mac studio, even this dumb board is bigger than a studio

as i noted: the m3 is a very different literally and figuratively cooler beast in a lot of ways, but your original post probably could not be dumber if you tried.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

to their credit they explicitly say "in that size" in their post

yeah, fine, i did willfully ignore that part. but as someone who would love to be able to drop the cash on a decked out studio (apple hardware is currently fantastic for some significant niches of ml) it is as an argument ridiculous to imagine the criteria "i am looking to spend $10,000 and i want as many cores as possible, but, importantly, my desk is very small" as the lens to view it through.